MX Player Problem on Galaxy S8 plus - Random stop working on background

Search This thread

lumix14

Aug 9, 2016
Hello

I am using Galaxy S8 plus (Latest update as of security patch dated Aug 1) with MX Player Pro (+ Neon Codec) . Whenever the player is working in background , it plays for like 10 or maximum 30 minutes and then it will no longer making any sound. (I am using this to listen to hours of music videos in backgroud in all my android devices)

I have checked and this is happen no matter using HW/HW+/SW codec and also it is same behavior no matter running on SD or Internal storage. (The Video are just 320p video)

I've already put the app monitoring on Galaxy S8+ stop / add to the unmonitored list and behavior is also same

If I use VLC to do the same in background , it doesn't stop so assume that is not SD card problem I am hitting ( no error in SD Card Monitor app)

Anyone have similar problem ? Thanks

Reactions: xXSnowyXx

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Hello

I am using Galaxy S8 plus (Latest update as of security patch dated Aug 1) with MX Player Pro (+ Neon Codec) . Whenever the player is working in background , it plays for like 10 or maximum 30 minutes and then it will no longer making any sound. (I am using this to listen to hours of music videos in backgroud in all my android devices)

I have checked and this is happen no matter using HW/HW+/SW codec and also it is same behavior no matter running on SD or Internal storage. (The Video are just 320p video)

I've already put the app monitoring on Galaxy S8+ stop / add to the unmonitored list and behavior is also same

If I use VLC to do the same in background , it doesn't stop so assume that is not SD card problem I am hitting ( no error in SD Card Monitor app)

HI,

When it stops, immediately open the MX Player again & collect the bug report from help menu and share here.
It will help us to understand the issue.

lumix14

Aug 9, 2016
HI,

When it stops, immediately open the MX Player again & collect the bug report from help menu and share here.
It will help us to understand the issue.

Hi Thirumalai,

Is the logs and the video sufficient for this ? To supplement , it also same behavior when the screen is "on" playing video in foreground (Or .mp4 / aac audio file etc)

Thanks

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Hi Thirumalai,

Is the logs and the video sufficient for this ? To supplement , it also same behavior when the screen is "on" playing video in foreground (Or .mp4 / aac audio file etc)

Thanks

hmm. That's wired. Does it happen in all decoders when the player is in the foreground?
can you collect some logs again?

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Let me try and give them tomorrow. Is there any suspicious thing identify on the previous logs ? Thanks

Our team is still investigating on it. We couldn't reproduce it in our test S8 devices.

We are waiting for your new logs. If there is no useful information, we may have to try the same content.

lumix14

Aug 9, 2016
Our team is still investigating on it. We couldn't reproduce it in our test S8 devices.

We are waiting for your new logs. If there is no useful information, we may have to try the same content.

I can actually reproduce the problem now (not on a specific video but seems to be something longer than e.g. 22 minutes )

Let me send you a video link from youtube and you can do that simulation on your side by download it to the internal folder by using same video I am using (not only one video have problem but I play the same file twice and figured out both 2 times stop on around similar time frame)

I will provide the logs when I back home

Thanks

lumix14

Aug 9, 2016
I can actually reproduce the problem now (not on a specific video but seems to be something longer than e.g. 22 minutes )

Let me send you a video link from youtube and you can do that simulation on your side by download it to the internal folder by using same video I am using (not only one video have problem but I play the same file twice and figured out both 2 times stop on around similar time frame)

I will provide the logs when I back home

Thanks
Video (not only this one has problem, no problem if i play with screen on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnOaklQOttw

Logs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0fsdwha9vwucby/report_2017-09-07_000156.zip?dl=0

xXSnowyXx

Jul 9, 2011
Experiencing the same behaviour on OnePlus 5 running Lineage. Happens with the screen off or the player in background, with or without custom codec using software, hardware or hardware+ decoder.

Last edited:

xXSnowyXx

Jul 9, 2011
It doesn't seem to happen with every file...some MP3s seem fine, some fail consistently, AVC/AAC from YouTube and Twitch have the same problem, but less frequently. This podcast seems to have the problem pretty consistently...it'll play for about 10 minutes 50 seconds and then stop until you close the file and open it again or seek forward. Just got this phone and didn't have any of these problems on my S5 with all the same settings.

Last edited:

lumix14

Aug 9, 2016
It doesn't seem to happen with every file...some MP3s seem fine, some fail consistently, AVC/AAC from YouTube and Twitch have the same problem, but less frequently. This podcast seems to have the problem pretty consistently...it'll play for about 10 minutes 50 seconds and then stop until you close the file and open it again or seek forward. Just got this phone and didn't have any of these problems on my S5 with all the same settings.

Yeah, I have the exact symptom for some files. But it happen even for some DVD converted video I did it myself.

It seems to be some audio related bug and yesterday it stopped on forescreen (screen on) as well for some other files.

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Yeah, I have the exact symptom for some files. But it happen even for some DVD converted video I did it myself.

It seems to be some audio related bug and yesterday it stopped on forescreen (screen on) as well for some other files.

HI,

we have tried the same youtube video in our S8 Plus multiple times. still, couldn't reproduce the issue. It played completely till the end. Are running the device in power saver mode? In the logs, We have noticed buffering throughout the playback which is quite abnormal for a local file. The second thing the video was continuously playing till you tapped on the notification.

Is it possible to collect the complete system logs using adb? The bug report from MX Player will be limited MX Player logs.
Complete logs may give more insight if it's something related to system services.

lumix14

Aug 9, 2016
HI,

we have tried the same youtube video in our S8 Plus multiple times. still, couldn't reproduce the issue. It played completely till the end. Are running the device in power saver mode? In the logs, We have noticed buffering throughout the playback which is quite abnormal for a local file. The second thing the video was continuously playing till you tapped on the notification.

and like you observed , once I click the notification , it resumed......

Is it possible to collect the complete system logs using adb? The bug report from MX Player will be limited MX Player logs.
Complete logs may give more insight if it's something related to system services.

Hi Thirumalai,

I guess that is related to some buffer related setting as well. It is same for powersave , on , off , on with unmonitored app etc ( on all HW/HW+/SW codec combination)

Here is video that it is keep looping itself https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=S7-YzedXTO0

What is the adb command to dump complete system logs ? ( I need some time to work on that as I am not an ADBer......)

Thanks

Last edited:

lumix14

Aug 9, 2016
Hi Thirumalai,

and like you observed , once I click in the notification, it resumed......

Thanks

xXSnowyXx

Jul 9, 2011

I've attached the player log and system log with hopefully everything included. I glanced at the player log and also saw entries related to http and buffering when I only played a local file so I'm fairly sure we're both having the same issue.

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    135.4 KB · Views: 10
  • report_2017-09-09_122750.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 10

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
I've attached the player log and system log with hopefully everything included. I glanced at the player log and also saw entries related to http and buffering when I only played a local file so I'm fairly sure we're both having the same issue.

Is this log collected immediately after noticing the issue?
The last playback was a mp3 file & lasted 1-2mins.

Looks like you are playing through a Bluetooth device. is it happens when playing through internal speakers?
Suspect it happens when there is a drop on the Bluetooth connection.

xXSnowyXx

Jul 9, 2011
Is this log collected immediately after noticing the issue?
The last playback was a mp3 file & lasted 1-2mins.

Looks like you are playing through a Bluetooth device. is it happens when playing through internal speakers?
Suspect it happens when there is a drop on the Bluetooth connection.

I'd thought the same thing initially but it happens whether Bluetooth is connected or not. That particular file always plays for about 10 minutes at a time so it makes it easier to reproduce the problem but I was playing at 400% speed for brevity - it stops in the same way at normal speed. The logs are intentionally cut down in order to keep only relevant data. The same file plays fine on my S5 and other videos and audio do the same thing though less consistently.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello