FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Question] / [Bug] Using MX Player with ES File Explorer on Marshmallow

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By valXypher, Member on 17th January 2016, 01:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys, please help me out.

Sometimes I want to browse through my videos on my phone using ES File Explorer. Whenever I try to play a video, a list of applicable video players pops up. Of course, MX Player is on the list and I set that to default.

Here's the problem: When I want to play videos on the network (from my PC) using ES File Explorer, the list does not show MX Player at all so I can't use it to play my videos and most of them are even in MKV format. Even VLC for Android that I installed for testing won't show up on the list. I was surprised that QuickPic's video player is on there and I didn't even know they had a player. I can play videos over the network using MX Player w/ no problems on my Asus Zenfone 5 and OnePlus X which has Lollipop. I'm assuming this could be something with Marshmallow since my current device is a Moto X Pure with Android 6.0. I already emailed the dev team of ES and I yet to receive a reply from them.
I was thinking, if QuickPic can be detected by ES, maybe something could be done with MX Player as well.

Any ideas?

17th January 2016, 01:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I had the same issue, but it got resolved by itself somehow. But I switched to Solid Explorer anyways. Much better.
18th January 2016, 05:07 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by f3bruary

I had the same issue, but it got resolved by itself somehow. But I switched to Solid Explorer anyways. Much better.

Were you on Marshmallow when you had the issue?

I guess I'll try other file managers first. I'll give Solid a look.
18th January 2016, 09:08 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Yes, on a nexus 5x. After I received my phone back from the repair centre it worked again, so a hard reset might have helped it.
18th January 2016, 08:17 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,006

More
You might have touched app links Settings available on marshmallow devices.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
19th January 2016, 01:00 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsamy

You might have touched app links Settings available on marshmallow devices.

Nope. I haven't touched any of the settings like App Links. They're all on default.

Anyways, when I tried Solid Explorer, MX Player shows up on its list (finally!) but for certain file types only like MKV. Whenever I want to play MP4 videos, MX is no longer on the list. I guess it's also a file type issue of some sort.
19th January 2016, 08:57 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,006

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by valXypher

Nope. I haven't touched any of the settings like App Links. They're all on default.

Anyways, when I tried Solid Explorer, MX Player shows up on its list (finally!) but for certain file types only like MKV. Whenever I want to play MP4 videos, MX is no longer on the list. I guess it's also a file type issue of some sort.

Go to App Links Settings & check whether it's enabled for all file types or not. Similar incidents are reported earlier & found that app links Settings was the problem.

21st January 2016, 02:10 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsamy

Go to App Links Settings & check whether it's enabled for all file types or not. Similar incidents are reported earlier & found that app links Settings was the problem.

Nope. No dice

Thanks anyways!
26th July 2016, 07:39 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Still no solution to this?
26th July 2016, 10:00 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukatar

Still no solution to this?

The issue is with marshmallow.They have done it that way
26th July 2016, 10:03 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
:| any workaround? any other apps that can allow mx player to stream over LAN? I believe it used to work with my previous phone. I had an s7 that turned out not to be waterproof and I had to buy another one (also s7) and now it does not work...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)