Share you opinion about Chromecast expectations

Search This thread

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Hi MX Player users,

We know that many users are interested to see chromecast support inside the MX Player. So, we need your inputs to implement in a better way. We have some basic questions which will help us to understand better.

1. Have you you ever used Cast feature provided in Android itself? Even with that You can still cast your screen & audio using Google Home.
  2. What's the advantage of separate chromecast option over the android's inbuilt cast feature
  3. If you are not using/intrested Android's Cast feature, what's method you are using to play with chromecast?
  4. What are the chromecast related options you are expecting to be implemented in MX Player's side
  5. Can you share some design thoughts like screenshots from others?

The more you provide the input, we can give you the best from MX Player.

Last edited:

psdbest

Jan 26, 2017
Hey, actually I just was searching if anyhow I could cast my mx player to Chromecast

Hey, actually I just was searching if anyhow I could cast my mx player to Chromecast but not through the phone's cast button in the notification shade because that just mirror's the whole screen and you can't do anything else is you are casting your screen for a movie or something else and also it consumes a lot of the battery too. Whereas a separate cast button,
if it's available on the mx player, would be a great relief as we could then even switch off the phone's display and both the functionality as well as the battery could be saved.
Well there are some good options for casting to the TV like local cast and web video caster but if mx player merges both of theirs functionalities it would turn out to be the most feature loaded and complete video as well as audio streaming app. I hope I'm going to get this app update soon enough coz I've been waiting for the same since long.
Hi MX Player users,

We know that many users are interested to see chromecast support inside the MX Player. So, we need your inputs to implement in a better way. We have some basic questions which will help us to understand better.

1. Have you you ever used Cast feature provided in Android itself? Even with that You can still cast your screen & audio using Google Home.
  2. What's the advantage of separate chromecast option over the android's inbuilt cast feature
  3. If you are not using/intrested Android's Cast feature, what's method you are using to play with chromecast?
  4. What are the chromecast related options you are expecting to be implemented in MX Player's side

Reactions: Thirumalai.K

oilman614

Apr 11, 2017
Would love to see Chromecast added to MX Player

I understand that you can cast ur entire screen to the device but there is also a way that if you embed the casting feature inside the app so that then you can cast a movie to your TV and have MX Player run in the background so you can use your phone for other things....Granted you have the resources to do so.

I do that now with another app I beta test for called Stream

BTW..yes I'm new here but I have been using MX Player for years and I love it.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge OS 7.0

bingoofsweden

Oct 19, 2015
Yes and yes again!
Please add support for Chromecast.

Thanks

Hi MX Player users,

Reactions: Eggstones

maciekbe

Dec 7, 2011
Wroclaw
www.maciejblachnio.pl
Usually we can stream from a Google apps like YouTube or partners like Netflix or Spotify. Streaming Chrome browser tab can be laggy, so dedicated app is a way to go. I use PC Chrome browser extension called Videostream. It works inside chrome but looks like standalone player. It streams great and it can use external subtitles. Videostream has mobile app as remote control. We can choose and start video from PCs HD without touching the computer.
I don't know if MX could work with mobile Chrome to cast. Maybe such direct streaming app needs cooperation with Google. On the other hand, Android is Google.
I would prefer a feature like a cast button inside MX. Press button - choose cast receiver and that's all. Video should be moved to Chromecast, so no video on MX itself. MX transport buttons should work as usual. I think auto fit to screen mode should be enough.
I'm not sure about casts like YouTube or Netflix, because they seems to feed directly from the Internet and not from a mobile device. They look like mobile app only controls them. In the MX case, it would be streaming from the device memory, so it will drain battery more anyways. But on the other hand, since it is wireless, the phone can be connected to a charger.
I think there are few features needed but it may be more difficult on a programming side.

abomoro

Oct 3, 2016
Hi MX Player users,

Have you you ever used Cast feature provided in Android itself? Even with that You can still cast your screen & audio using Google Home.
What's the advantage of separate chromecast option over the android's inbuilt cast feature
If you are not using/intrested Android's Cast feature, what's method you are using to play with chromecast?
What are the chromecast related options you are expecting to be implemented in MX Player's side
Can you share some design thoughts like screenshots from others?

The benifet of having chromecast support over mirroring android screen by using google home is that:

You can use other apps (like whatsapp or facebook) while the video is playing on your tv
So please implement this feature, everybody wants it ?

Reactions: brimanp

djalex29

Jun 24, 2010
1- You need to be able to output 5.1 (ac3, dts) sound to the TV, av receiver.
2- Video quality in this case is much higher.
3- Use other applications during the video broadcast.
Your player is the best for video playback, so it must be chromecast support. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: alanoide97

ehbiwtf

Feb 18, 2017
I'm lazy, so having the option to cast from mxplayer via mobile device is great for when I don't want to **** around with my desktop, or if I'm at friends house/work/camp/hotel etc. Give us the option to cast supported formats for now. Work on transcoding later.

steve233

Jan 2, 2015
It will be great to have chromecast support on mxplayer.
I use chromecast to watch video links on tv, but need to use AndStream apk and AllConnect apk to send it from web to tv, will be grat if there will be an way to watch videos thru mxplayer on tv.

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010
I've rarely ask for help or tips on problems that occur with tech. But, a week ago I used to tether my nexus 6 to my chromecast in my car, and also be able to use the phone to play music, videos back on my car's screen. Now the phone won't pick up my chromecast. I can use other devices, such as phone, tablets that are connected to my cellphone mobile data. Any ideas as to why it stop working? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T710 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I've rarely ask for help or tips on problems that occur with tech. But, a week ago I used to tether my nexus 6 to my chromecast in my car, and also be able to use the phone to play music, videos back on my car's screen. Now the phone won't pick up my chromecast. I can use other devices, such as phone, tablets that are connected to my cellphone mobile data. Any ideas as to why it stop working? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T710 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Hi,

It's chromecast & Device specific issue. It's better to ask in the Device specific forum.

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I have input on using built-in Android casting.

Like many other's say, the main advantage to using an apps native cast is that you can then use your device for something else as well. Secondly, the screen has to be on the whole time when using inbuilt casting - it's annoying. :p

meetdilip

Jan 19, 2015
Please do add chromecast support to MX Player

Why ?

Many phones do not support built in cast feature of Android. My phone hangs when I try to cast the screen through Google Home
Currently using ES File Explorer's player
It would be great to cast videos to TV with subtitles

Other options are Local Cast ( does not play some formats due to codec issue ), All Cast ( leaves their logo on screen in free version ).

TifKag

Sep 5, 2007
Why are there so much questions about why you should add chromecast support.

The Userbase is allready asking for it for years, why are tou STALLING so much.

The USERS want it, and they have PAYED for the app and development, and there has been ONE update in the last year

ovlachos

Aug 28, 2017
Support for chromecast would be great! Thank you!

What's the advantage of separate chromecast option over the android's inbuilt cast feature
Having extensively used android's inbuilt cast feature on 6.0.1 to watch content on MX Player, I can note the following:
  1. The screen of the phone/tablet has to be on all the time, which leads to accidental input (you press something you did not want to) and reduced battery life
  2. Video playback, compared to apps that have support for chromecast is not as good. Frames seem to accelerate or lag randomly and things that look like compression artefacts appear occasionally
  3. Volume control of the chromecast device itself is a bit quirky: Using android's inbuilt cast feature you have to open an app with chromecast support first (e.g. spotify, or youtube) and adjust the volume chromcast outputs to the TV. The volume changes within MX Player are of minimal impact when using android's inbuilt cast feature, so if chromcast volume is too low you cannot bring it up enough.
What are the chromecast related options you are expecting to be implemented in MX Player's side
The player's volume could be tied to chromecast volume (see point no.3 above)
Can you share some design thoughts like screenshots from others?
I believe something as simple as this would be ok: You're watching a video and you just press the cast icon that appears if a device is available to cast the stream.
I cannot post an image or a link to showcase what I mean as I am a new user :(

Reactions: bodhisattvah

Medyredy

Mar 23, 2017
This is the only thing this player needs so far, it needs to have video casting on smart TVs. How can the best video player not have that..while the likes of Samsung video players have it long long ago. Comon ppl. We need this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi MX Player users,

Would love to see Chromecast added to MX Player

I understand that you can cast ur entire screen to the device but there is also a way that if you embed the casting feature inside the app so that then you can cast a movie to your TV and have MX Player run in the background so you can use your phone for other things....Granted you have the resources to do so.

I do that now with another app I beta test for called Stream

BTW..yes I'm new here but I have been using MX Player for years and I love it.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge OS 7.0
    benifits of cast support

Per app casting is better that android built in casting for the following reasons:

I will use youtube as an example since it supports casting..

First is multitasking.. regular casting mirrors your whole screen to the tv.. so you can't watch a movie on tv and reply to a message quickly.. you'll have to cut the immersion...
    In youtube, the youtube app will keep mirroring to the screen even after you minimize it to reply to your message..

Second is power saving..
    In regular cast, you have to keep the screen turned on all the time.. if you lock the screen the tv will show a black screen and stop audio..
    If you cast with youtube, you can turn off the phone screen to save power while still watching on tv..

Third is privacy..
    If you're watching a movie with your friends using regular passive casting.. any notification that pops up on the phone will also show up on tv.. so it will be annoying if you get many notifications and everything will be visible to everyone..
    In youtube, only the video is shown on tv..

Fourth is performance..
    In regular casting, performance of rendering is bad since no hardware acceleration can be used.. also you're limited by the phone resolution. So if you want to play a 1080 video on a 720 phone, the video will be downscaled and lose quality..
    In youtube or any cast enabled app, you can play at higher resolutions.. use hardware acceleration.. and render only the video and not the surrounding Android ui..

Also.. some people would suggest using DLNA or miracast instead of screen casting..

Well this is true but.. there are benifits to screen casting:
    -You can use your favourite video player...
    -You can play videos with drm content...
    -You can play youtube with subtitles, hulu, netflix which are not supported by video players..
    -You can play videos from websites if your browser supports casting..
    -You can change the audio track, subtitle track, and play any video format that's supported by the video app on the phone and not stuck with only the formats dlna supports.. for example, mx player supports real media rmvb videos, so you can play them with mx.. these videos aren't supported by any protocol..

I understand that the developers of mx player want to make it lean and fast as possible and not put features that seem unimportant to them.. but they are essential to many people..
    I personally can't live without mx player pro.. but also can't live without picture-in-picture and casting support..

I don't really think that mx player devs care about user feedback as there are features that are being requested for years and still aren't done.. the last time I sent a feature request for floating window playback.. they said it will be done in the next major version... It has been a whole year and still no major version...
    Hey, actually I just was searching if anyhow I could cast my mx player to Chromecast

Hey, actually I just was searching if anyhow I could cast my mx player to Chromecast but not through the phone's cast button in the notification shade because that just mirror's the whole screen and you can't do anything else is you are casting your screen for a movie or something else and also it consumes a lot of the battery too. Whereas a separate cast button,
    if it's available on the mx player, would be a great relief as we could then even switch off the phone's display and both the functionality as well as the battery could be saved.
    Well there are some good options for casting to the TV like local cast and web video caster but if mx player merges both of theirs functionalities it would turn out to be the most feature loaded and complete video as well as audio streaming app. I hope I'm going to get this app update soon enough coz I've been waiting for the same since long.
    Hi MX Player users,

Yes and yes again!
    Please add support for Chromecast.

Thanks

Hi MX Player users,