FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Win Honor 9 Lite

Skip forward/backward function acts weird on my device.

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By terrytw, Junior Member on 8th January 2018, 06:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a 2015 model of sony bravia android tv, and it has a MT5890 CPU and a mali T-624 GPU. I installed the latest version of mx player and armv7 neon codec.

I am able to play x265 coded videos with built-in video player without any problem, it's very smooth, and I can skip forward or backward or just jump to whenever I wish to.

However when using mx player, it's also very smooth, but I can only play from the beginning, if I try to skip forward or backward, or jump to a certain time point, it starts to act very weird. Sometimes video speeds up 2x or 3x, sometimes it slows down, like it's catching up or slowing down to wait audio to be synchronized. And it can take from couple of minutes to half an hour to go back to normal.

This only applies to x265 coded videos, I have other video that are coded with x264 or HEVC, and they work just fine in both built-in player and mx player.

I have tried other video players like spmc, kodi or VLC, they all stutter, VLC is probably the best among these but it is still dropping frames left and right. But most of them don't have problem with skipping or jumping.

Can someone please explain the reason? Could it be fixed?

Much appreciated!

9th January 2018, 01:45 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,078

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytw

I have a 2015 model of sony bravia android tv, and it has a MT5890 CPU and a mali T-624 GPU. I installed the latest version of mx player and armv7 neon codec.

I am able to play x265 coded videos with built-in video player without any problem, it's very smooth, and I can skip forward or backward or just jump to whenever I wish to.

However when using mx player, it's also very smooth, but I can only play from the beginning, if I try to skip forward or backward, or jump to a certain time point, it starts to act very weird. Sometimes video speeds up 2x or 3x, sometimes it slows down, like it's catching up or slowing down to wait audio to be synchronized. And it can take from couple of minutes to half an hour to go back to normal.

This only applies to x265 coded videos, I have other video that are coded with x264 or HEVC, and they work just fine in both built-in player and mx player.

I have tried other video players like spmc, kodi or VLC, they all stutter, VLC is probably the best among these but it is still dropping frames left and right. But most of them don't have problem with skipping or jumping.

Can someone please explain the reason? Could it be fixed?

Much appreciated!

Basically, x265 is an encoder for HEVC. So, both are same.
Maybe some particular HEVC profile has issues. Can you try HW+ decoder?
13th January 2018, 04:34 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

Basically, x265 is an encoder for HEVC. So, both are same.
Maybe some particular HEVC profile has issues. Can you try HW+ decoder?

In fact I am using HW+ decoder, and it's the only way I can play those videos smoothly. Switching to HW or SW would make the video either completely unplayable or stutter very heavily.

To sum it up, I CAN play any videos with built-in player smoothly and drag or jump or skip however I want to.

I CAN play x265 coded files smoothly with mx player in HW+ mode, but I CANNOT jump or skip. I CAN play any other videos with mx player without any problem.

I CAN play x265 coded files with some level of stutter with other players like spmc and VLC, but I CAN drag or jump however I want to.

The videos that I am having problem with have these kind of parameters:
Format : HEVC
Format Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Writing library : x265 2.5+4-b4a5bcfe29c7:[Windows][GCC 4.9.3][64 bit] 10bit

If the writing library is x264 or ATEME Titan KFE or ATEME Titan file, or if the codec ID is hev1, or if the format profile is Main 10@L4@Main, I don't have a problem.

This is so weird....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)