[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

881 posts
Thanks Meter: 268

By CDB-Man, Senior Member on 20th April 2014, 08:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th October 2015, 07:31 PM |#261  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Didn't see it getting mentioned (sorry if if was), but Mediatek's Helio X10 (@2.2Ghz, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2) can't handle 1080p 10bit h264. Tested with CGI's Shingeki no Kyojin, the OP sequence starts to lag badly towards the end. It does seem to support the H/W+ hack, though, which surprised me cause Qualcomm's SoCs apparently don't.
19th October 2015, 11:54 PM |#262  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim Soukyuu

Didn't see it getting mentioned (sorry if if was), but Mediatek's Helio X10 (@2.2Ghz, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2) can't handle 1080p 10bit h264. Tested with CGI's Shingeki no Kyojin, the OP sequence starts to lag badly towards the end. It does seem to support the H/W+ hack, though, which surprised me cause Qualcomm's SoCs apparently don't.

What's the file name? Want to compare.

Considering buying Redmi Note 2 but afraid that I will actually get less performance than a Galaxy Note 3 and Note 3 Neo
The Following User Says Thank You to wwenze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wwenze Ad-Free
20th October 2015, 06:20 PM |#263  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze

What's the file name? Want to compare.

Considering buying Redmi Note 2 but afraid that I will actually get less performance than a Galaxy Note 3 and Note 3 Neo

[Coalgirls]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_01_(1920x1080_Blu-ray_FLAC)_[AEF12794].mkv

I doubt you will get less performance by upgrading, but you won't get much more out of it either.
20th October 2015, 11:59 PM |#264  

More
Note 3 Neo

I see more lags in the first half before the chorus...

Interestingly the hardest part is after the OP, at the episode title screen because of the grains it can load one Skylake core to 100%, the flowers is harder than most of the OP too.

Assuming all cores are used and 100% scaling (i.e. unrealistic load like Antutu)
Note 3 Neo
Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex A7 & dual-core 1.7 GHz Cortex A15 = 23480 DMIPS
vs
Redmi Note 2
Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 = 36800 DMIPS
vs
Note 3
Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 = 31188 DMIPS
vs
Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7 = 37080 DMIPS

But how well it can use that theoretical performance is the key...
The Following User Says Thank You to wwenze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wwenze Ad-Free
21st October 2015, 04:18 PM |#265  

More
Something I just discovered about my Note 3 Neo is: If the phone is getting charged, the playback much better. Except that episode title screen again, which I expect to kill every phone anyway.

That means the CPU at max speed would actually have the grunt (before it overheats, as I soon learned during testing), but is being capped in the interest of thermals and power consumption when mobile.

Which begs the question: How many phones are artificially capped, and whether CPU-spec-vs-spec comparisons are even relevant. And whether it makes sense to buy a high-spec phone anyway when we'll be limited by thermals anyway - in which case energy efficiency becomes the most important. Which becomes a headache because we have no idea how everything scales. On one hand the A7 / A53 cores are more energy-efficient so more of them can be activated at the same time (Which may be how the Helio X10 i.e. Redmi Note 2 gets such a high score in benchmarks), but on the other hand the task may not scale well with multiple cores so a few high performance cores like A15 / A57 may be faster than many low performance ones. Awaiting the reply on the above playback performance vs Redmi Note 2.
22nd October 2015, 01:59 AM |#266  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetanolip

on my zenfone 2 ( 4gb ram) i played http://www.libde265.org/hevc-bitstre...1080-cfg02.mkv

(mx player and x86 codec)

only sw decoder and it stutters

is played on P8000 with various decoders without problems (sw and hw decoders)
this video (Overall bitrate : 51mbs) slows http://www.demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=45
22nd October 2015, 04:13 PM |#267  

More
@wwenze: yours lags very badly compared to mine. The one you posted with the charger plugged in is closer to what I have, but the chains still lag a bit (unless that's youtube).
Can't really film it, but the whole opening doesn't have a single lag up to the point where they all jump up above the roofs, then there are a couple of stutters. The grain in the title display makes it stutter as well, of course.
22nd October 2015, 04:26 PM |#268  

More
If you are interested to test HEVC on MX Player
i encodes this video http://www.demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=45 Here bitrate 51 MBS

lower the bitrate to 5mbs, no brakes
http://depositfiles.com/files/kwuuhewry
23rd October 2015, 05:55 PM |#269  

More
Underclocking Redmi Note 2 gives a big improvement to playback.

Wonder if it's scheduler or overheat issue, I'm betting mainly on overheat.
25th October 2015, 07:57 PM |#270  

More
Wow, that looks hideous. Which ROM are you on (version)?
Nothing like how it looks on my brother's RMN2. Mine should arrive sometime this week, will test it again and upload a sample... if I can find something to film it with.
7th November 2015, 11:21 AM |#271  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Hi

The standard will be hevc 10bit 60fps.
So I think it is interesting to test some video files coded like that.
Atm some socs/gpu are announced to play the standards:
1 tegra x1
2 Snapdragon 820
3 helio x20-x30 ( 30 fps only) with Mali t880
4 Kirin 950 (30 fps only?) with Mali t880

Has anyone any video sample hevc 10bit 60 fps links? I would like to test my Rk3288

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)