[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

891 posts
Thanks Meter: 252

By CDB-Man, Senior Member on 20th April 2014, 08:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th July 2014, 08:21 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I've been testing using the Sword Art Online Hi10p subs by Coalgirl, media info below. On the Xipad it's all smooth except the ending where bit rates go over 10Mb/s and I can see slight hiccups but the picture remains clear, no artifacts. On the HTC M8 (2.5G 801 version) in fast scenes it can break up the picture, blocks etc. This was tested with VLC beta which seems to offer the best Hi10p support.

I advise trying VLC beta with your hardware and see how it fares on 1080p Hi10p anime.

Complete name : Q:\Anime\Sword Art Online 10 bit\[Coalgirls]_Sword_Art_Online_07_(1920x1080_Blu-ray_FLAC)_[EC9EAB01].mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 1.17 GiB
Duration : 23mn 40s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 7 104 Kbps
Movie name : Sword Art Online 07: Warmth of the Heart
Encoded date : UTC 2013-06-29 00:21:33
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.1.0 ('Boiling Point') built on Jul 1 2010 14:37:28
Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0
Attachment : Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High 10@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 15 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Title : [H264]
Writing library : x264 core 129 r2245+729M 1a52e03
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=16 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.00 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=12 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : Japanese
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : FLAC
Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Codec ID : A_FLAC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Title : [FLAC 2.0]
Writing library : libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)
Language : Japanese

Text
ID : 3
Format : ASS
Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : [ASS]
Language : English

Menu
00:00:00.000 : en:Prologue
00:01:12.990 : enpening
00:02:43.018 : en:Part A
00:12:49.060 : en:Part B
00:22:05.032 : en:Ending
00:23:35.019 : en:Next time

14th July 2014, 02:44 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member

More
@Kantana
Just tried VLC beta, and the playback was pretty bad on my Nexus 5. Software decoder would see freezing and artifacts after 100 frames, such that only the audio kept playing.

VLC also seems to ignore embedded fonts; it rendered my .ass subs in sans-serif default.
14th July 2014, 07:07 AM |#23  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man

@Kantana
Just tried VLC beta, and the playback was pretty bad on my Nexus 5. Software decoder would see freezing and artifacts after 100 frames, such that only the audio kept playing.

VLC also seems to ignore embedded fonts; it rendered my .ass subs in sans-serif default.

Uninstall VLC beta and look for the VLC nightly build in Playstore, it should be dated sometime in Apr and has a version 0.9.1-git. This version worked for my HTC M8 for Hi10p. I set hardware acceleration to full and force chroma to YUV. The beta build is 0.9.7 and works perfect on Mipad but gave me freezing picture on my HTC M8.
14th July 2014, 07:54 PM |#24  

More
Any test videos/trailers/etc of 10bit content I can download to test my new phone? I just got the oneplus one and wanted to see if it does video playback as well as that s5 user earlier
The Following User Says Thank You to georaldc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift georaldc Ad-Free
14th July 2014, 08:18 PM |#25  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by georaldc

Any test videos/trailers/etc of 10bit content I can download to test my new phone? I just got the oneplus one and wanted to see if it does video playback as well as that s5 user earlier

Try some of these:

http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

Don't expect anything higher than 720p to render smoothly though in SW.
15th July 2014, 12:57 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:

99% of all Horriblesubs files are 8bit.
@Fenrir007 did you enable speedup tricks? When playing a video: menu -> play -> use speedup tricks.

Also, settings -> decoder -> CPU code limit -> be sure to force 4 cores

Oh my, what a blunder - I never noticed HS used 8bit. Nisekoi was at 10bit at least. Still, I decided to do a retake with your recommendations. here are my findings:

Evetaku's 720p AKB0048 ep. 13v2: Apparently played it back perfectly, or at the very least very close to perfection. I did not notice any dropped frames myself (didn't watch it all, though - but I did watch the entire concert part, which seems to be the heaviest). I have no idea if framerate measuring is relevant here, but anyway it averaged at 27fps, switching constantly from 27 to 32 more or less.

Evetaku's 1080p BD FLAC ep. 14: It goes from slideshow to almost perfect, but it is mostly unwatchable. Framerate averaged at 6 fps at the start, varying a lot but staying mostly in the 14 range. It then went to 21 in the backstage. Concert part gives a slideshow with sound hiccups. Some parts of it went smoothly, though, mostly the ones with little to no movement and no panning. I didn't have a non FLAC 1080p file to try at this time.

This was done on S/W (couldn't do it on H/W+, sadly), no background processes dev option enabled, 4 cores active on mxplayer settings and speed up tricks active. Using FPSMeter didn't seem to impact performance whatsoever. Hardware is a Galaxy Note 3 with X-Notes rom and kernel. Played from the SDCard with latest mxplayer beta build downloaded today.

You think we will ever get H/W+ for the Note 3?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenrir007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fenrir007 Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 02:04 AM |#27  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantana

Try some of these:

http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

Don't expect anything higher than 720p to render smoothly though in SW.

Thanks. Only tried the 1080p ones and the first 720p video. 1080p videos stutter quite a bit (more so with the 1st video) in that intro panning section but the rest seems to play out well. 720p videos looks like it runs perfectly.

Interesting, I'll give this a try on my Nvidia Shield. I wonder if Tegra 4 will fare any better.
The Following User Says Thank You to georaldc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift georaldc Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 06:17 AM |#28  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir007

Oh my, what a blunder - I never noticed HS used 8bit. Nisekoi was at 10bit at least. Still, I decided to do a retake with your recommendations. here are my findings:

Evetaku's 720p AKB0048 ep. 13v2: Apparently played it back perfectly, or at the very least very close to perfection. I did not notice any dropped frames myself (didn't watch it all, though - but I did watch the entire concert part, which seems to be the heaviest). I have no idea if framerate measuring is relevant here, but anyway it averaged at 27fps, switching constantly from 27 to 32 more or less.

Evetaku's 1080p BD FLAC ep. 14: It goes from slideshow to almost perfect, but it is mostly unwatchable. Framerate averaged at 6 fps at the start, varying a lot but staying mostly in the 14 range. It then went to 21 in the backstage. Concert part gives a slideshow with sound hiccups. Some parts of it went smoothly, though, mostly the ones with little to no movement and no panning. I didn't have a non FLAC 1080p file to try at this time.

This was done on S/W (couldn't do it on H/W+, sadly), no background processes dev option enabled, 4 cores active on mxplayer settings and speed up tricks active. Using FPSMeter didn't seem to impact performance whatsoever. Hardware is a Galaxy Note 3 with X-Notes rom and kernel. Played from the SDCard with latest mxplayer beta build downloaded today.

You think we will ever get H/W+ for the Note 3?

I've probably mentioned it before is some other thread, but HW+ for 10-bit is only possible on Tegra devices, and even then support is flaky, as it's ultimately a hack of sorts.

Yeah, I didn't expect any device to handle 10-bit 1080p for more than a few minutes, especially in scenes with a lot of particles and/or action. For the most part, most new quad-core devices now are able to play 720p 10-bit (essentially) flawlessly.
15th July 2014, 06:23 AM |#29  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Uninstall VLC beta and look for the VLC nightly build in Playstore, it should be dated sometime in Apr and has a version 0.9.1-git. This version worked for my HTC M8 for Hi10p. I set hardware acceleration to full and force chroma to YUV. The beta build is 0.9.7 and works perfect on Mipad but gave me freezing picture on my HTC M8.

Interesting, this nightly build gives marginally better 10-bit performance on my Nexus 5.

Still fails at embedded fonts though
15th July 2014, 10:43 AM |#30  

More
Quote:

Interesting, this nightly build gives marginally better 10-bit performance on my Nexus 5.

Still fails at embedded fonts though

Same for my HTC M8 but embedded subs work for me.
16th July 2014, 06:19 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Same for my HTC M8 but embedded subs work for me.

I have embedded ass subs and they work too; it's just that any embedded fonts in the mkv aren't used at all.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)