Recognized Contributor
Flag Tamilnadu
Thanks Meter: 3,939

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by husaintaherali

Mxplayer

Stock player

Played the jazz video on Both players, looked same and it looked to have more brightness then the other non-HDR videos, but not enough like the other 1080p hdr video i played before. Colors looked great too. Played in crop mode on stock and 100% on mx.

Im unable to upload all the screenshots due to my slow net.

It might be due to values specified in the meta.
If it doesn't work with any other files, let me know.

18th May 2017, 06:46 AM |#572  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So I bought a Huawei Mediapad M3 to replace my Galaxy Tab S3 and It can't play HEVC 10-bit. I've seen in some leaks that Kirin 950 is suppose to support HEVC 10-bit decode.
Hopefully It would be fixed in EMUI 5.0 or does Kirin 950 natively doesn't support 10-bit HEVC decode?
18th May 2017, 09:35 AM |#573  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Tamilnadu

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlchan31

So I bought a Huawei Mediapad M3 to replace my Galaxy Tab S3 and It can't play HEVC 10-bit. I've seen in some leaks that Kirin 950 is suppose to support HEVC 10-bit decode.
Hopefully It would be fixed in EMUI 5.0 or does Kirin 950 natively doesn't support 10-bit HEVC decode?

HiSilicon's chip set specification doesn't mention anything specifically. Only thing they have mentioned is "4K video decoder@H.265"

More over, even if a chipset supports HEVC Main10 profile, it needs to be implemented on OEM as well. Some OEMs doesn't implement certain decoders it to save some patent costs.
22nd May 2017, 09:44 PM |#574  
Flag Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 645

More
Haven't seen anything so far anywhere but, if anyone happens to own a Snapdragon 435 SoC powered device can you do some testing and see if it can handle 10-bit HEVC h.265 content with hardware decoding? LG has a new rugged phone coming to AT&T (competition for the Galaxy S Active series) called the X venture, 435 powered, 1920x1080 panel, 4100 mAh battery (so it should have some massive battery life with those parts), and now I'm wondering about the 10-bit HEVC h.265 support.

Qualcomm's site only ever lists HEVC h.265 support and doesn't get more granular with whether or not it's got 10-bit support. I'm going to presume that the 435 will do 10-bit as most of their newest SoCs can and do, but until I/we get a confirmation then I'll just wait and see how it goes. Absolutely interested in the X venture, however, and it looks to literally be half the price of the Galaxy S8 Active (or even less, maybe, like $300-350) and they'll have an International model not directly locked to AT&T out of the box too.

Thanks for any info...
23rd May 2017, 05:47 AM |#575  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Costco is currently selling Galaxy Tab A 2016 10.1 models for 199. Picked one up.

Checked w/ Hardware Info App

OMX.EXYNOS.HEVC.DEC

MEDIA TYPE: VIDEO/HEVC
Color Formats: : 0x7f000012 YUV420Flexible YUV420Planar YUV420SemiPlanar
Profiles: : 0x1(0x1, 0x10, 0x100, 0x1000, 0x2, 0x20, 0x200, 0x2000, 0x4, 0x40, 0x400, 0x8, 0x80, 0x800)

MX Player falls back to S/W on HEVC 10bit, but plays HEVC in HW+
video though.
Yesterday, 05:24 AM |#576  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Tamilnadu

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arplinx

Costco is currently selling Galaxy Tab A 2016 10.1 models for 199. Picked one up.

Checked w/ Hardware Info App

OMX.EXYNOS.HEVC.DEC

MEDIA TYPE: VIDEO/HEVC
Color Formats: : 0x7f000012 YUV420Flexible YUV420Planar YUV420SemiPlanar
Profiles: : 0x1(0x1, 0x10, 0x100, 0x1000, 0x2, 0x20, 0x200, 0x2000, 0x4, 0x40, 0x400, 0x8, 0x80, 0x800)

MX Player falls back to S/W on HEVC 10bit, but plays HEVC in HW+
video though.

it's because HEVC 10bit decoding is not supported by the system decoders. So, MX Player has no other options other than using S/W.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0adband

Haven't seen anything so far anywhere but, if anyone happens to own a Snapdragon 435 SoC powered device can you do some testing and see if it can handle 10-bit HEVC h.265 content with hardware decoding? LG has a new rugged phone coming to AT&T (competition for the Galaxy S Active series) called the X venture, 435 powered, 1920x1080 panel, 4100 mAh battery (so it should have some massive battery life with those parts), and now I'm wondering about the 10-bit HEVC h.265 support.

Qualcomm's site only ever lists HEVC h.265 support and doesn't get more granular with whether or not it's got 10-bit support. I'm going to presume that the 435 will do 10-bit as most of their newest SoCs can and do, but until I/we get a confirmation then I'll just wait and see how it goes. Absolutely interested in the X venture, however, and it looks to literally be half the price of the Galaxy S8 Active (or even less, maybe, like $300-350) and they'll have an International model not directly locked to AT&T out of the box too.

Thanks for any info...

Even if the Qualcomm ships a SoC that's capable of decoding 10bit HEVC, it has to be implemented on the OEM side as well.
There are many device in which chipsets are capable of decoding HEVC 10bit. As OEMs has to pay the patent costs, some of them do not implement it. So, commenting based on a chipset specification is useless. Need to check the device directly to know it's actual capabilities.
Yesterday, 07:16 AM |#577  
Flag Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 645

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

Even if the Qualcomm ships a SoC that's capable of decoding 10bit HEVC, it has to be implemented on the OEM side as well.
There are many device in which chipsets are capable of decoding HEVC 10bit. As OEMs has to pay the patent costs, some of them do not implement it. So, commenting based on a chipset specification is useless. Need to check the device directly to know it's actual capabilities.

Makes sense, thanks for the info. I had a Galaxy S7 Active last year for a short period of time, that - having the Snapdragon 820 - handled HEVC 10-bit with no issues and HW+ with MX Player Pro, I kinda miss that device nowadays. I still have this G4 of mine which of course is just HEVC capable and that's fine overall but as most of know the majority of movies "out there" nowadays are being encoded with HEVC 10-bit so that does become a sticky point I suppose.

If I had a 12-core monster CPU powered beast desktop I wouldn't care and I'd encode my own Blu-rays to HEVC 8-bit since I don't really give a damn about the minor benefits 10-bit offers (they end up being basically the same size overall and looking the same to my half-century old eyes now). I can do pretty fast h.264/x264 accelerated encoding I suppose that looks well enough till some device comes along that I actually like. So far there really hasn't been anything that's out today or coming in the near future that I give a damn about, sadly.

The G4 is still my perfect smartphone even with the risk of a bootloop (and I'm still under factory warranty for a repair so I don't worry about it).

Anyway, thanks for the response.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)