By CDB-Man, Senior Member on 20th April 2014, 08:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th August 2017, 08:53 AM |#581  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 285

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlchan31

I got a snapdragon 820 and it could play x264/x265 10-bit just fine in hardware decoding. If you got a decent amount of budget you can consider that Galaxy Tab S3 though I would guess that the 4:3 aspect ratio could be a wee bit underwhelming to watch videos on it. I even got a Huawei Mediapad M3 just because I saw on some leaked spec sheet that the kirin 950 can support 10-bit videos. The M3 could not.

hi, what is your smartphone? and the Tab S3 supports h.264 10-bit in hardware decoding?

7th August 2017, 02:09 AM |#582  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am searching for a mobile phone which supports HEVC 10 bit playback. I stumbled upon this thread which has lots of useful info. The thread is very long hence couldn't go through all the pages.

I bought a Google Pixel XL ( which uses Snapdragon 821 ) assuming it supports HEVC 10 bit as Snapdragon 821 can support this. Unfortunately HEVC 10 bit is not supported in HW. ( MX player can play in SW which not what I needed ) I need a device which can support HEVC 10 bit in HW for my internal testing. LG G6 support this , but I don't have access to their code base.

Is there any way to enable HEVC 10 bit support to enabled in Pixel XL?. I am willing to modify the android frame work for this purpose. I have codec back ground and kind of new to Android. Any pointers/guidelines are useful!.

Thanks!.
8th August 2017, 04:17 AM |#583  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 71

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi_en

I am searching for a mobile phone which supports HEVC 10 bit playback. I stumbled upon this thread which has lots of useful info. The thread is very long hence couldn't go through all the pages.

I bought a Google Pixel XL ( which uses Snapdragon 821 ) assuming it supports HEVC 10 bit as Snapdragon 821 can support this. Unfortunately HEVC 10 bit is not supported in HW. ( MX player can play in SW which not what I needed ) I need a device which can support HEVC 10 bit in HW for my internal testing. LG G6 support this , but I don't have access to their code base.

Is there any way to enable HEVC 10 bit support to enabled in Pixel XL?. I am willing to modify the android frame work for this purpose. I have codec back ground and kind of new to Android. Any pointers/guidelines are useful!.

Thanks!.

Install MX player codec and try with HW+.
8th August 2017, 04:23 AM |#584  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.tiger12

Install MX player codec and try with HW+.

I tried that already. Didn't work. Only SW is decoding working fine with MX player.
9th August 2017, 04:19 AM |#585  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,992

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi_en

I tried that already. Didn't work. Only SW is decoding working fine with MX player.

It depends on the device configuration. Some OEMs do not implement certain features to save some royalty fees.

If 10bit decoding is not implemented on your device, then it's not possible to hardware accelerate the decoding.
The only way to go is SW.
12th August 2017, 10:12 PM |#586  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend.evil

thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Currently I have the Nvidia Shield TV and everything I thow at it works without any issues but I am looking for something portable cause I travel alot and a phone or tablet that supports h.264 10-bit would be very nice, if anyone knows a phone or tablet that can do that, it would be great.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A which will play H.264 10bit encodes (720p mini encodes used mainly), but in SW mode only.

Will the Nvidia Shield TV support HEVC 10 bit FullHD in playback?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thane187 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thane187 Ad-Free
13th August 2017, 01:43 PM |#587  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 285

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane187

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A which will play H.264 10bit encodes (720p mini encodes used mainly), but in SW mode only.

Will the Nvidia Shield TV support HEVC 10 bit FullHD in playback?

Thanks!

it does with ease, played all types of files without any issues, you can use MX Player, VLC or Kodi any player works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to friend.evil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift friend.evil Ad-Free
14th August 2017, 06:34 AM |#588  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend.evil

it does with ease, played all types of files without any issues, you can use MX Player, VLC or Kodi any player works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Fantastic. I ordered the device on Saturday evening in case you said yes. I tested some non re-encoded H.265 BD files using MX Player standard edition, and it played the files in SW mode only, no jitters though in the picture and sound is in sync. VLC Player playback..... PERFECT!!! [s]And its the same with Archos Video Player too.[/s]

Thank you!!
17th August 2017, 11:57 AM |#589  
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 46

More
the nvidia shield tv has a Tegra X1, it is a beast, if it doesnt support hw decoding it goes in sw with no problem at all. Best tech purchase ever, 2 year and still rocking

I'm also looking for a tablet with h265 10bit hw decoding, any hint other than Galaxy Tab s3? It's expensive but most of all is BIG, I was looking for something around 8" but the upcoming asus z582 (I own a z580ca and I love it) will equip a SD652 with adreno 510, and no 10bit support :|
18th August 2017, 07:13 AM |#590  
Flag Mangalia
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Other than the Tab S3, there are really no other higher powered tablets around on the market (running Android) that are somewhat readily available on a global scale. If you :really: need h265 h/w decoding, then you could go for the Tab S3, take note that it is running a Snapdragon 820, which is already somewhat outdated. At this point, I'd just settle with a large screen phone (ex: Note 8, S8+, Mate 9) if I wanted to feel safe in paying an arm and a leg for such commodities. You can also try looking over the fence at the iPads, but I am not sure about the quality of video player apps in iOS. At the very least, you got VLC. Other than that, any iPad starting with the 2017 one ("budget" one as they call it) should be able to decode h265 at the very least in S/W mode. If you want the bee's knees, the iPad Pro 10.5 should be about right.
19th August 2017, 05:42 PM |#591  
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 46

More
apple product is a no go for me.

thanks for your answer yes, I dont want to purchase an outdated snap820, I will wait for something new in the upcoming IFA , hoping something with snap835 to come up. The only alternative is a Google Pixel C, X1 is still a beast but the tablet itself haw no LTE, no, GPS... In the meantime my plex server will happily transcode all the rest.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)