[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

881 posts
Thanks Meter: 265

By CDB-Man, Senior Member on 20th April 2014, 08:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th March 2018, 08:18 PM |#661  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello Samsung S7 edge 8890 ver can't use HW+ to play hevc 10bit video.Only can use S/W to play hevc 10bit video but it is so lag

But try to use Samsung built in video player it work good.(But it can't support AC3 audio)

Try to Google search this problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/co...rdware_decode/

Is it a bug can't use mxplayer HW+ in S7 edge 8890 ver to play hevc 10bit video?

Can fix it?

Thank you.

20th March 2018, 06:43 AM |#662  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,106

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suifong

Hello Samsung S7 edge 8890 ver can't use HW+ to play hevc 10bit video.Only can use S/W to play hevc 10bit video but it is so lag

But try to use Samsung built in video player it work good.(But it can't support AC3 audio)

Try to Google search this problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/co...rdware_decode/

Is it a bug can't use mxplayer HW+ in S7 edge 8890 ver to play hevc 10bit video?

Can fix it?

Thank you.

Many Samsung devices do not expose the HEVC 10bit decoding capability. Can you check whether you have HEVC 10bit is listed on Settings > Decoder > HW+ Video Codecs?
20th March 2018, 09:22 AM |#663  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

Many Samsung devices do not expose the HEVC 10bit decoding capability. Can you check whether you have HEVC 10bit is listed on Settings > Decoder > HW+ Video Codecs?

https://img.xda-cdn.com/wKRzSi-xwzvTqBwqR28kJDcDrEY=/https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FvFjsilP.jpg

It only have H.265 : (

I just confuse why Samsung built in video player can work good but MX Player can't use HW or HW+ to play H.265 10BIT video.
https://youtu.be/CdMC51Hato4

It is because Samsung devices do not expose the HEVC 10bit decoding capability right?
Thank you for your reply : )

Update:
I try many video player apps from play store.
Most video player can't work good.(hevc 10bit)
Amazingly some video player can work good.
I don't know why.
20th March 2018, 08:40 PM |#664  
Flag Casablanca

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdelhachim

Hello,

Here is the bug report as requested...
Attachment 4448453

Thanks

Can you check my bug report please...

Many Thanks
22nd March 2018, 05:08 AM |#665  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suifong

https://img.xda-cdn.com/wKRzSi-xwzvTqBwqR28kJDcDrEY=/https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FvFjsilP.jpg

It only have H.265 : (

I just confuse why Samsung built in video player can work good but MX Player can't use HW or HW+ to play H.265 10BIT video.
https://youtu.be/CdMC51Hato4

It is because Samsung devices do not expose the HEVC 10bit decoding capability right?
Thank you for your reply : )

Update:
I try many video player apps from play store.
Most video player can't work good.(hevc 10bit)
Amazingly some video player can work good.
I don't know why.

If it's force attempted, hope MX also can play HEVC 10bit.
Some devices are known to crash when MX tries to force the system decoder to decode a 10bit video. So, HEVC 10bit support is enabled based on the media codec capabilities reported by the device. We will try a better solution so that users can try 10bit decoding on HW & HW+ at their own risk.
31st March 2018, 10:08 PM |#666  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Any idea if snapdragon 660 support h.265 10bit?
14th April 2018, 12:56 PM |#667  
Flag Bhubaneswar
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I have a SD650 equipped device which decodes only 8-bit HEVC in HW. For 10-bit HEVC I tried a wide range of players but nothing worked even for low(2-5Mbps) bitrate 1080p files. Since VLC downloaded from Play Store would simply display a black screen for every video regardless of codec, I downloaded a nightly build(version 4.0) from their website for ARM v8 64-bit. To my surprise it handled it quite well. Where MX Player was very laggy. The small cores were nearly always maxed out while the big cores were around the 1.2-1.4GHz mark with infrequent peaks for both. In case of Mx Player even setting the big cores to max clocks by setting the governor to performance didn't make any difference.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzoku

I was also looking for the same information but couldn't find anything worthwhile. Even in Qualcomm website they have not mentioned the bit depths.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidl

Hello
I saw in some posts here that asus zenpad 3 10 inch (with mediatek chip) can play 10bit videoes (at least 10bit x265)(may be not 10bit x264)

I have two choise of rather high-end tablets:
(is there any other good rather high-end light weight 8 inch tablets?)

1. zenpad 3 8.0 and zen pad 3 10.0 with snapdragon hexa core 650 chip (not mediatek)

2. huawei mediapad m3 8.4 with kirin 950

I want to ask several questions about these, i appreciate any answer for how many of them you liked to answer

1. is also zenpad 3 8.0 or 10.0 with snapdragon chip can play 10bit 1080 videos? (x265 10bit 1080p and/or x264 10bit 1080p)

(I prefer 8 inch version but please let me now if you tried any of them and was successful or not or you know/think anything about devices or their chips)

(I prefer hw or hw+ decoder without artifacts and without bad colors but also please say if it at least can play them without lag in fast scenes with sw decoder or can't )

may be need to add that I usually use normal/low bitrate videos.
whole size of videoes that i play usually are about 200-300 MB for a 22-25 min episode (maximum size I liked to play was a video in x265 10bit 1080p with about 500 MB size)

2. how about above question for huawei mediapad m3 with kirin 950?

(I think it shoud play both x264 10bit 1080p and x265 10bit 1080p at least with sw decoder without issue but let me now if you know anything)

I also have another question.

mediapad m3 is about 100$ more expensive than asus zenpad 3 8.0 in my country. (both have 4GB Ram)(asus has android 7 but huawei has android 6)

so I would like what you think is good for buying?

is mediapad m3 in overall worth of spending 80-100 $ more? (specially when its original global price is this much lower? and it have android 6 without update (and also without multi windows(?) ) )

(I didn't mind spending this much for m5 because at least it is far newer than m3 in software and also hardware but it doesn't have 3.5 mm jack and I don't want pay also for a wireless headphones specifically because I use headphones very long hours)

Thanks you very much

I have a Redmi Note 3 with Sd650 and it doesn't support HW decoding of H.265 10-bit. With SW decoding I have had decent results with files with bitrates upto 5Mbps avg. with VLC nightly 4.0. Mx Player and all others I have tried were not upto the mark. However I haven't tried many files as I discovered this yesterday only. The phone gets quite warm within 10 minutes. With prolonged usage it might throttle and playback consequently suffer. In a tablet though this might be less of an issue. My advice is to get one that supports HW decoding. Might even get one of the Intel Core based Windows tablets(7th gen. fully support HW decode, 6th gen partial/hybrid) . The Chinese OEMs like Chuwi etc have them for decent prices. Some even dual-boot with Android.
16th April 2018, 12:32 PM |#668  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdelhachim

Can you check my bug report please...

Many Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkoum

Same problem with Kodi.
With internal (stock) player smooth.
Same with The Fate of the Furious 2017 (2160p) x265 10bit HDR DTS-X 7.1
Major problems with Mx-player, no problem with internal player..
I upload the report file.
So, Mx-player can't activate the HW+ accelerator of the Soc H6 at all??

Tnx for the answer

From MXPlayer 1.9.19 onwards, HEVC & H264 10bit will be listed on HW+ video codecs even if they are not explicitly supported by the hardware decoders. When you enable this, it can will be force tried with Both HW & HW+. So, you can manually enable it & check whether it's working for you are not. (H264 10bit is more dangerous & known to crash some devices. So, do not enable it until or unless you are sure that it is supported by the device)

Currently, it's available only for beta testers. If you are interested to check our pre-release version, Kindly opt-in by tapping the "Become a tester" on the MX Player page of Google Play. If the problem persists, feel free to get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thirumalai.K For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thirumalai.K Ad-Free
17th April 2018, 02:03 AM |#669  
Flag Casablanca

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

From MXPlayer 1.9.19 onwards, HEVC & H264 10bit will be listed on HW+ video codecs even if they are not explicitly supported by the hardware decoders. When you enable this, it can will be force tried with Both HW & HW+. So, you can manually enable it & check whether it's working for you are not. (H264 10bit is more dangerous & known to crash some devices. So, do not enable it until or unless you are sure that it is supported by the device)

Currently, it's available only for beta testers. If you are interested to check our pre-release version, Kindly opt-in by tapping the "Become a tester" on the MX Player page of Google Play. If the problem persists, feel free to get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Many Thanks...
I tested it... Works perfectly on my android TV Box (HEVC 10bit)
17th April 2018, 05:03 AM |#670  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

I have a Mi Note 3 and sadly it can't decode 10bit at hardware level. It can easily handle it via software but I didn't test the extent of how much bitrate it could handle. Probably close to what 835 is capable at software level.

I do really hope that the upcoming Mi Note 4, which supposedly will carry Snapdragon 7xx, they re-branded the successor of 660, will be able to decode 10bit videos. Rumors say it carries an AMOLED panel which will elevate the viewing experience for a cheaper than flagship price.
17th April 2018, 08:55 AM |#671  
Flag England, UK
Thanks Meter: 397

More
Hi.

Is it possible to trying HW+ first, before trying HW as a lot of my movie`s play without sound in HW, But play with sound in HW+

I have a number of TV box`s using S905X and S912 SOC both behave this way.

Thanks

John.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)