[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

Search This thread

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I tried that already. Didn't work. Only SW is decoding working fine with MX player.

It depends on the device configuration. Some OEMs do not implement certain features to save some royalty fees.

If 10bit decoding is not implemented on your device, then it's not possible to hardware accelerate the decoding.
The only way to go is SW.

Thane187

Dec 4, 2016
thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Currently I have the Nvidia Shield TV and everything I thow at it works without any issues but I am looking for something portable cause I travel alot and a phone or tablet that supports h.264 10-bit would be very nice, if anyone knows a phone or tablet that can do that, it would be great.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A which will play H.264 10bit encodes (720p mini encodes used mainly), but in SW mode only.

Will the Nvidia Shield TV support HEVC 10 bit FullHD in playback?

Thanks!

Reactions: feifelm1983

friend.evil

Apr 5, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A which will play H.264 10bit encodes (720p mini encodes used mainly), but in SW mode only.

Will the Nvidia Shield TV support HEVC 10 bit FullHD in playback?

Thanks!
it does with ease, played all types of files without any issues, you can use MX Player, VLC or Kodi any player works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: Thane187

Thane187

Dec 4, 2016
it does with ease, played all types of files without any issues, you can use MX Player, VLC or Kodi any player works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Fantastic. I ordered the device on Saturday evening in case you said yes. I tested some non re-encoded H.265 BD files using MX Player standard edition, and it played the files in SW mode only, no jitters though in the picture and sound is in sync. :cowboy: VLC Player playback..... PERFECT!!! :cowboy: :cowboy: And its the same with Archos Video Player too.

Thank you!!

Last edited:

guap

Sep 23, 2007
Milano
the nvidia shield tv has a Tegra X1, it is a beast, if it doesnt support hw decoding it goes in sw with no problem at all. Best tech purchase ever, 2 year and still rocking :)

I'm also looking for a tablet with h265 10bit hw decoding, any hint other than Galaxy Tab s3? It's expensive but most of all is BIG, I was looking for something around 8" but the upcoming asus z582 (I own a z580ca and I love it) will equip a SD652 with adreno 510, and no 10bit support :|

Last edited:

Dariusdd

Other than the Tab S3, there are really no other higher powered tablets around on the market (running Android) that are somewhat readily available on a global scale. If you :really: need h265 h/w decoding, then you could go for the Tab S3, take note that it is running a Snapdragon 820, which is already somewhat outdated. At this point, I'd just settle with a large screen phone (ex: Note 8, S8+, Mate 9) if I wanted to feel safe in paying an arm and a leg for such commodities. You can also try looking over the fence at the iPads, but I am not sure about the quality of video player apps in iOS. At the very least, you got VLC. Other than that, any iPad starting with the 2017 one ("budget" one as they call it) should be able to decode h265 at the very least in S/W mode. If you want the bee's knees, the iPad Pro 10.5 should be about right.

guap

Sep 23, 2007
Milano
apple product is a no go for me.

thanks for your answer :) yes, I dont want to purchase an outdated snap820, I will wait for something new in the upcoming IFA , hoping something with snap835 to come up. The only alternative is a Google Pixel C, X1 is still a beast but the tablet itself haw no LTE, no, GPS... In the meantime my plex server will happily transcode all the rest.

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
I hope this is the correct thread but if not I'm sure the devs will be glad of the feedback anyway... :)
I've just had a Play Store update of MX saying "improvements on HEVC 12bit playback". Not just an improvement - a vast improvement. I have a couple of HEVC x265 videos which on the previous version either didn't play at all (sound but no picture, or a stuttering unsynched unwatchable mess). This new version isn't 100%, still a very slight frame-dropping and occasional sound delays, but now totally watchable.
Great job, people. Much appreciated.
Nexus 6 (Snapdragon 805, QHD), Pure Nexus 7.1.2_r24 (latest), Magisk 13.3.

Pancha5

Apr 26, 2015
Tumkur
Even if the Qualcomm ships a SoC that's capable of decoding 10bit HEVC, it has to be implemented on the OEM side as well.
There are many device in which chipsets are capable of decoding HEVC 10bit. As OEMs has to pay the patent costs, some of them do not implement it. So, commenting based on a chipset specification is useless. Need to check the device directly to know it's actual capabilities.

Kindly please tell me which devices and chipset has implemented 10bit support officially(hardware acceleration) or update in OP, couldn't get proper devices list even after a lot of searching
Thanks in advance

Dariusdd

Kindly please tell me which devices and chipset has implemented 10bit support officially(hardware acceleration) or update in OP, couldn't get proper devices list even after a lot of searching
Thanks in advance

There is no way to make such a list due to a few reasons: firmware updates can add or remove h/w decoding (example: GS7 had 10 bit hevc decoding removed around the time the note 7 was launching, and got it back when the note 7 "fizzled" out) and because there are way too many devices released to check. Your best bet is to check for the SoC to be compatible and then hope that the manufacturer is paying the royalties for it.

Reactions: Pancha5

Pancha5

Apr 26, 2015
Tumkur
There is no way to make such a list due to a few reasons: firmware updates can add or remove h/w decoding (example: GS7 had 10 bit hevc decoding removed around the time the note 7 was launching, and got it back when the note 7 "fizzled" out) and because there are way too many devices released to check. Your best bet is to check for the SoC to be compatible and then hope that the manufacturer is paying the royalties for it.

Thanks Bro, Does one plus 5 has support as of now?

zer0man

Apr 3, 2017
There is no way to make such a list due to a few reasons: firmware updates can add or remove h/w decoding (example: GS7 had 10 bit hevc decoding removed around the time the note 7 was launching, and got it back when the note 7 "fizzled" out)

Did it?
That's exactly what I wanted to ask.

When I got my S7, I remember that I was able to play 10 bit HEVC videos with Hardware decoding, there was even an option for it in Settings --> decoder --> HW+ video codecs.
Just yesterday I tried playing one of those files, and it only played SW decoding no matter what. Which sucks, because even though the phone can still play it smoothly, it gets really hot after some time (maybe because the video is 1080p?) and it gets really uncomfortable to hold, not to mention the battery drain.

I have the latest software update, and MX player is updated to the latest version too.
Is there a way to get it back? Or am I missing an option here?
Thanks

Pancha5

Apr 26, 2015
Tumkur
Samsung Galaxy S8 seems to play 4k hevc 10bit videos with hw+ smoothly as of now... Its sucks when the oem removes support to annoy customers so that they can buy new phones

Video Link
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=159

Attachments

• IMG_20170828_145807.jpg
    IMG_20170828_145807.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 250

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
I am running MX Player Pro v1.9.5 on Android 6 with an S905X soc.

I use to be able to play Hi10p in HW+ mode with some artefacts but now it`s grayed out and i can only play it in software that kills my cpu, I would rather have a few artefacts and low cpu/heat.

What has changed, I did notice that it says accelerated in the hw+ codec list when it did not before.

So what is going on?

John.

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
I am running MX Player Pro v1.9.5 on Android 6 with an S905X soc.

I use to be able to play Hi10p in HW+ mode with some artefacts but now it`s grayed out and i can only play it in software that kills my cpu, I would rather have a few artefacts and low cpu/heat.

What has changed, I did notice that it says accelerated in the hw+ codec list when it did not before.

So what is going on?

John.

Can you share the logs?
It's greyed out on following conditions:
1. HEVC decoder in your system has some issues with HEVC main10 profile
2. HEVC decoder in your system doesn't support the HEVC main10 profile

Last edited:

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Can you share the logs?
It's greyed out on following conditions:
1. HEVC decoder in your system has some issues with HEVC main10 profile
2. HEVC decoder in your system doesn't support the HEVC main10 profile

Ok log added to post, I tried to play 2 Hi10p Anime episodes.

As i have said my tv box does not support Hi10p, but normally i can player them in HW+ mode with some artefacts , But in this version of MX player the HW+ option is grayed out.

Thanks

John.

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Ok log added to post, I tried to play 2 Hi10p Anime episodes.

As i have said my tv box does not support Hi10p, but normally i can player them in HW+ mode with some artefacts , But in this version of MX player the HW+ option is grayed out.

Thanks

John.

Sorry there was some misinterpretation on my side.
I have misread hi10 as HEVC. According to the current logic, Hi10 will be available only on the device has hardware acceleration for Hi10 profile.

Do you see H.264 10bit in HW+ Codecs with harware accelerated mark?

If no, your device doesn't support it.
In some old versions, it was force attempted when it's enabled. But, it has been found that it's causing system level crash on many devices. So, now it's disabled by default on unsupported devices.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Sorry there was some misinterpretation on my side.
I have misread hi10 as HEVC. According to the current logic, Hi10 will be available only on the device has hardware acceleration for Hi10 profile.

Do you see H.264 10bit in HW+ Codecs with harware accelerated mark?

If no, your device doesn't support it.
In some old versions, it was force attempted when it's enabled. But, it has been found that it's causing system level crash on many devices. So, now it's disabled by default on unsupported devices.

OK, I will just use SPMC player, It plays the video`s with HW acceleration with some artifacts that is fine for me.

Thanks

John.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Is there a way to make HW+ the first choice when playing a video as i have a Anime series the video`s plays for 5-10 seconds and then stops in HW mode, if i switch straight to HW+ the video plays without fault, But when i play the next video i have to switch manually from HW to HW+ on every episode.

Thanks

john.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion
    Back on our old Google Groups forum, we had a long thread of users sharing and discussing their experiences with 10-bit video playback, HEVC playback, device capabilities, and other interesting related topics.

This thread will be a continuation of that discussion. The original thread can be found here:
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mx-videoplayer/CVvvmsXpdz8/discussion

If you have anything you want to share relating to 10-bit playback, hardware support, and MX Player, please join the discussion!

How can I check what hardware codecs are enabled on my phone's GPU?
    You can use an App such as Hardware Info: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.hardwareinfo

My device is playing Hi10p really poorly, even though it's a very new/powerful phone! What can I do?
    CDB-Man said:
    1) h.264 AVC Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for h.264 AVC Hi10p.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) Settings -> Decoder -> Use speedup tricks

LIST OF DEMANDING Hi10p FILES THAT YOU CAN USE TO TEST YOUR DEVICE (mainly anime as that's what most commonly uses Hi10p)
    1. http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=489663&showfiles=1 This file is fairly demanding at 22.3Mbps bitrate.
    2. Anything from http://coalgirls.wakku.to/ that's 1080p and released in 2013 or later would be 10bit, and would make for a good test. All their files are relatively high bitrate, so it will be a good indicator of the CPU's capabilities with S/W.
    3. If you are willing to waste bandwidth with an even harder test, you could try this: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=552753 12GB and 10835 kbit/s bitrate.
    4. Unique encoding settings: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=557914&showfiles=1 movies 1 or 2. This is also 10bit (720p), but with 4:4:4 subsampling (on movies 1 and 2) as opposed to standard 4:2:0 subsampling.
    5. Very, VERY demanding: HEVC 4K 10bit video @ 51.6 Mb/s: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=96
    6. Various reference files from libde (including Big Buck Bunny): http://www.libde265.org/downloads-videos/

CDB-Man

Now, a very useful summary by @Dante of the Inferno of the current required specs to successfully play 10-bit files on Android!
    Last updated: 2015-08-24
    Hi10p Minimum Hardware Requirements:

x86 Architecture:
    720p:
    • 2.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU with integrated graphics (2006 or later)
    • 2.2+ GHz Single Core CPU (up to 30 fps and low bit rate)
    1080p:

• Intel Atom Z3770 (Bay Trail) with integrated graphics (2014 or later)

ARM Architecture:
    720p:
    • Snapdragon 600 SoC (2013 or later) - based on quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300 CPU and Adreno 320 GPU
    1080p:
    • Exynos 7 Octa 7420 (2015 or later) - based on ARM v8
    • Amlogic S812 - based on ARM A9 with octo-core Mali 450 GPU
    • Nvidia Tegra K1
    • Snapdragon 810 (generally should work, but probably only for lower bitrate files)
    First of all thanks for the great player which is so far the best long running player on Android and yet no other player comes as close as this in regards to compatibility, reliability and functionality. I think it has been more than 2 years using MX Player on X10 Mini Pro, HTC One X, S4 i9505 and now Note 3 N9005

I would like to know about this HW+ incompatibilty issues on Snapdragon hardware. I had been using MX Player on HTC One X (that has Tegra 3 hardware) for a year and it mostly used to decode all my matroska video files on HW+ it used to play all 720p Hi10p files smooth. But since my switch to S4 i9505 I feel like I have downgraded on hardware lol it just don't play any file on HW+ (well all the mkv files I tried so far), it only plays on SW and well... it is not as smooth. And now I'm on Note 3 N9005 and the issue is same. One of my friend told me that the Snapdragon hardware doesn't support HW+... is that true?

Also, just to let you know that although surely MX Player is the only player on android that can render most SSA/ASS perfectly, it seems at some places to be lagging behind and I noticed that the subtitles and signs tend to "fade out" although originally they aren't programmed to be...

EDIT: I can confirm that Hi10p 720p matroska video file (with embedded subtitles) on my Note3 N9005 is not playing smooth (and only plays in S/W mode) when I played the same file on pc for comparison, it seems to be dropping/skipping frames to keep in sync... I miss my HTC One X now...

Other than that I have no complaints at all... MX Player is the best!
    1) Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for Hi10p.
    EDIT: I'd like to note that HW+ Tegra support is a "hack" of sorts, so it probably won't be perfect. SW will likely give you a better picture, but HW+ Tegra will use less power while failing to render properly sometimes.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) When playing video: Menu -> Play -> Use speedup tricks

The Note 3 has more than enough power to play 720p Hi10p. I've tested on all the recent high-end devices, and definitely no problems.
    I am having a very similar issue on my Nexus 9 running CyanogenMod ZNH5YAO0J1 and MX Player 1.8.9:
    - the file is a 10 bit 1080p HEVC, 1:40:58 long and 2 GB large which puts it at around 2850 kbit/s if my math is right.
    - HW and HW+ both say unsupported
    - alternative HW+ opens the video but only shows black screen. Audio plays normally
    - SW is borderline watchable with speedup and 4 cores but gets laggy in some scenes.
    Can such video work on Nexus 9 with sufficient speed at all? Or is the device just too underpowered?

Wysłane z mojego XT1580 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    I don't think our Nexus 9 has support for x265 10bit / just x265 yes
    x264 10bit yes!
    x265 10bit no!
    x265 maybe I think it worked for me once on CM.

PS. The Nexus 9 only has 2 cores :good:
    x265 is laggy on almost every device that uses SW
    Just wanted to add to the pool of knowledge here.

10bit 720p seems to be working perfectly so far on my Note 3. I only tested a couple of videos, but I have yet to see any lag, even during panning scenes. The videos tested were: Jojo Stardust Crusaders (some episodes, by Horriblesubs), Soul Eater Not (some episodes, also by Horriblesubs) and Nisekoi (one episode, by FFF). It is not overclocked, and I am running the X-Note rom. I disable multitasking and kill all processes just to be safe before playback (unsure if this is even needed). It is playing in H/W+.

I tried some 1080p 10bit videos and it was awful. I have no idea how the guy with the S5 managed to watch it. The Note 3 has the same hardware, so maybe the videos he tried were of a lower bitrate...? I don't know.
    For those with HTC M8, if you enable developer options and check high performance mode then you can playback Hi10p 1080p videos smoothly in SW mode in MX player. Just don't forget to turn it off afterwards as it sucks the battery life right out of the phone!

The S801 is powerful enough to play Hi10p 1080p in SW mode. I'm using an Asian model of the HTC M8 that clocks the S801 at 2.5GHz, European ans US models of the HTC M8 run the S801 at 2.3GHz but it should still be fast enough for Hi10p 1080p.