[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

Search This thread

kusakhan

Account currently disabled
Sep 29, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Looks like your device doesn't support hardware acceleration of HEVC main 10 profile. Maybe you can enable it manually from HW+ Video Codec & try again in HW+. But, It's not advisable as force attempting an unsupported codec may result in a crash.

VLC play hevc easily ...but i am reset setting mx player and again HW+ setting but not sucessfull .....S7 Hardwarer are strong...but ......:(

mdfarazb2

Jul 2, 2015
patna
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hello Guys! I'm having Nexus 6P with Aicp Oreo custom ROM on it.. I'm trying to play 1080p 10 bit x264 and 1080p 10bit x265 files but they both are lagging and playing on SW .. HW+ is greyed out and while clicking HW it says HW decoder is not supported:( Any ideas ?
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

ramirrat

Oct 25, 2009
Hello Guys! I'm having Nexus 6P with Aicp Oreo custom ROM on it.. I'm trying to play 1080p 10 bit x264 and 1080p 10bit x265 files but they both are lagging and playing on SW .. HW+ is greyed out and while clicking HW it says HW decoder is not supported:( Any ideas ?
Thanks!
Snapdragon 810 doesn't support 10-bit hardware playback

leonkoum

Apr 22, 2007
Good morning to all.

I am new with MX Player and i want to ask if MX supports Hardware acceleration for devices with Allwinner H6 (Beelink GS1). :confused:
Yesterday i was trying to play Lucy.2014.2160p.BluRay.x265.10bit.HDR.TrueHD.7.1 with many many problems and shutters drop. :(

Tnx a lot !

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Good morning to all.

I am new with MX Player and i want to ask if MX supports Hardware acceleration for devices with Allwinner H6 (Beelink GS1). :confused:
Yesterday i was trying to play Lucy.2014.2160p.BluRay.x265.10bit.HDR.TrueHD.7.1 with many many problems and shutters drop. :(

Tnx a lot !

In which decoder you are playing?
If the hardware acceleration is there, it should be able to play in HW or HW+ decoder.
Immediately after reproducing the issue, can you collect a bug report from help menu & share here?

leonkoum

Apr 22, 2007
In which decoder you are playing?
If the hardware acceleration is there, it should be able to play in HW or HW+ decoder.
Immediately after reproducing the issue, can you collect a bug report from help menu & share here?

There is no way to activate HW or HW+, only option SW is available and the playback is awful with shutters, drops frames and a lot red color in human skin... :(
Player is beelink GS1 with Soc Allwinner H6.
I will try to take a bug report and post here later...

leonkoum

Apr 22, 2007
Ok, i make the report file..
Player Beelink GS1, Soc Allwinner H6
Movie Lucy.2014.2160p.BluRay.x265.10bit.HDR.TrueHD.7.1
If there is anything to help....:angel:

Attachments

• report_2017-12-04_153819.zip
    15 KB · Views: 37

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Ok, i make the report file..
Player Beelink GS1, Soc Allwinner H6
Movie Lucy.2014.2160p.BluRay.x265.10bit.HDR.TrueHD.7.1
If there is anything to help....:angel:

Hi,

HEVC decoders configured in your device doesn't expose the list of profiles supported. So, Player couldn't determine whether it supports HEVC main10 profile or not.

Force attempting Main10 videos may even cause system level crash in many devices. That's why they are disabled when system decoders doesn't expose it's capability.

d3vyarth

Jul 10, 2014
Good morning to all.

I am new with MX Player and i want to ask if MX supports Hardware acceleration for devices with Allwinner H6(Beelink GS1). :confused:

Tnx a lot !
You simply can't play media of such quality with SW decoder. 10bit and HDR 2160P are you kidding? Stuff like this is for TVs
Buy a new phone or reduce media quality for better playback.

Reactions: yashpalgoyal1304

leonkoum

Apr 22, 2007
Hi,

HEVC decoders configured in your device doesn't expose the list of profiles supported. So, Player couldn't determine whether it supports HEVC main10 profile or not.

Force attempting Main10 videos may even cause system level crash in many devices. That's why they are disabled when system decoders doesn't expose it's capability.

So, Mxplayer will never play that high quality files? :rolleyes:

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
So, Mxplayer will never play that high quality files? :rolleyes:

MX Player can play those files fine, if the device has hardware acceleration for 4K HEVC Main10.
You have to blame on the OEM for their poor implementation. Decoders must report their capability properly.

As the device itself doesn't reports it's mediacodec capability, Currently HW & HW+ won't be attempted as they can lead to crash.

Does it works with any other apps?

If it's known to be working, we can made an exception.

Last edited:

leonkoum

Apr 22, 2007
Same problem with Kodi.
With internal (stock) player smooth.
Same with The Fate of the Furious 2017 (2160p) x265 10bit HDR DTS-X 7.1
Major problems with Mx-player, no problem with internal player..
I upload the report file.
So, Mx-player can't activate the HW+ accelerator of the Soc H6 at all?? :confused:

Tnx for the answer :good:

Attachments

• report_2017-12-05_102338.zip
    14 KB · Views: 19

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Same problem with Kodi.
With internal (stock) player smooth.
Same with The Fate of the Furious 2017 (2160p) x265 10bit HDR DTS-X 7.1
Major problems with Mx-player, no problem with internal player..
I upload the report file.
So, Mx-player can't activate the HW+ accelerator of the Soc H6 at all?? :confused:

Tnx for the answer :good:

Can you connect your device in debugging mode & collect the logs using adb logcat while playing on Stock Player?
Just to ensure the system decoder works smoothly. If it's found working fine, We can make some exceptions to allow your device to try HW & HW+ even if system doesn't reports it's capability.

Reactions: leonkoum

leonkoum

Apr 22, 2007
Can you connect your device in debugging mode & collect the logs using adb logcat while playing on Stock Player?
Just to ensure the system decoder works smoothly. If it's found working fine, We can make some exceptions to allow your device to try HW & HW+ even if system doesn't reports it's capability.

Well its my first try with this.. ;)
There is the log fie.
Same movie with stock player, no problem..seems to be good and play very well with stock player.. :cowboy:
If i can help more no problem.
Tnx again

Attachments

• alogcat.2017-12-06-13-46-54+0200.txt
    99.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Sharfuddin Ahmed

Aug 16, 2017
Hello @Thirumalai.K.
Sir I'm experiencing Videos are automatically closing on playing them for 5-10sec at anytime during the video..btw I'm on Nexus 6P which is affected by BLOD and currently running NitrogenOS 8.1 Rom with 4core Modified EX kernel if it helps... That blod hit me 2 days before and after recovering from that , this autoclosing is happening. Before that (i.e no BLOD when all 8cores were fine) was fine on the same rom even with the same EX kernel ( obviously not Modified one for 4core).
Logs are attached. My player's version is 1.9.15.
Thanks!

Sharfuddin Ahmed

Aug 16, 2017
Hello @Thirumalai.K.
Sir I'm experiencing Videos are automatically closing on playing them for 5-10sec at anytime during the video..btw I'm on Nexus 6P which is affected by BLOD and currently running NitrogenOS 8.1 Rom with 4core Modified EX kernel if it helps... That blod hit me 2 days before and after recovering from that , this autoclosing is happening. Before that (i.e no BLOD when all 8cores were fine) was fine on the same rom even with the same EX kernel ( obviously not Modified one for 4core).
Logs are attached. My player's version is 1.9.15.
Thanks!
Logs..

Attachments

• MXAutoClose.zip
    233 KB · Views: 30

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion
    Back on our old Google Groups forum, we had a long thread of users sharing and discussing their experiences with 10-bit video playback, HEVC playback, device capabilities, and other interesting related topics.

This thread will be a continuation of that discussion. The original thread can be found here:
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mx-videoplayer/CVvvmsXpdz8/discussion

If you have anything you want to share relating to 10-bit playback, hardware support, and MX Player, please join the discussion!

How can I check what hardware codecs are enabled on my phone's GPU?
    You can use an App such as Hardware Info: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.hardwareinfo

My device is playing Hi10p really poorly, even though it's a very new/powerful phone! What can I do?
    CDB-Man said:
    1) h.264 AVC Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for h.264 AVC Hi10p.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) Settings -> Decoder -> Use speedup tricks

LIST OF DEMANDING Hi10p FILES THAT YOU CAN USE TO TEST YOUR DEVICE (mainly anime as that's what most commonly uses Hi10p)
    1. http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=489663&showfiles=1 This file is fairly demanding at 22.3Mbps bitrate.
    2. Anything from http://coalgirls.wakku.to/ that's 1080p and released in 2013 or later would be 10bit, and would make for a good test. All their files are relatively high bitrate, so it will be a good indicator of the CPU's capabilities with S/W.
    3. If you are willing to waste bandwidth with an even harder test, you could try this: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=552753 12GB and 10835 kbit/s bitrate.
    4. Unique encoding settings: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=557914&showfiles=1 movies 1 or 2. This is also 10bit (720p), but with 4:4:4 subsampling (on movies 1 and 2) as opposed to standard 4:2:0 subsampling.
    5. Very, VERY demanding: HEVC 4K 10bit video @ 51.6 Mb/s: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=96
    6. Various reference files from libde (including Big Buck Bunny): http://www.libde265.org/downloads-videos/

CDB-Man

Now, a very useful summary by @Dante of the Inferno of the current required specs to successfully play 10-bit files on Android!
    Last updated: 2015-08-24
    Hi10p Minimum Hardware Requirements:

x86 Architecture:
    720p:
    • 2.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU with integrated graphics (2006 or later)
    • 2.2+ GHz Single Core CPU (up to 30 fps and low bit rate)
    1080p:

• Intel Atom Z3770 (Bay Trail) with integrated graphics (2014 or later)

ARM Architecture:
    720p:
    • Snapdragon 600 SoC (2013 or later) - based on quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300 CPU and Adreno 320 GPU
    1080p:
    • Exynos 7 Octa 7420 (2015 or later) - based on ARM v8
    • Amlogic S812 - based on ARM A9 with octo-core Mali 450 GPU
    • Nvidia Tegra K1
    • Snapdragon 810 (generally should work, but probably only for lower bitrate files)
    First of all thanks for the great player which is so far the best long running player on Android and yet no other player comes as close as this in regards to compatibility, reliability and functionality. I think it has been more than 2 years using MX Player on X10 Mini Pro, HTC One X, S4 i9505 and now Note 3 N9005

I would like to know about this HW+ incompatibilty issues on Snapdragon hardware. I had been using MX Player on HTC One X (that has Tegra 3 hardware) for a year and it mostly used to decode all my matroska video files on HW+ it used to play all 720p Hi10p files smooth. But since my switch to S4 i9505 I feel like I have downgraded on hardware lol it just don't play any file on HW+ (well all the mkv files I tried so far), it only plays on SW and well... it is not as smooth. And now I'm on Note 3 N9005 and the issue is same. One of my friend told me that the Snapdragon hardware doesn't support HW+... is that true?

Also, just to let you know that although surely MX Player is the only player on android that can render most SSA/ASS perfectly, it seems at some places to be lagging behind and I noticed that the subtitles and signs tend to "fade out" although originally they aren't programmed to be...

EDIT: I can confirm that Hi10p 720p matroska video file (with embedded subtitles) on my Note3 N9005 is not playing smooth (and only plays in S/W mode) when I played the same file on pc for comparison, it seems to be dropping/skipping frames to keep in sync... I miss my HTC One X now...

Other than that I have no complaints at all... MX Player is the best!
    1) Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for Hi10p.
    EDIT: I'd like to note that HW+ Tegra support is a "hack" of sorts, so it probably won't be perfect. SW will likely give you a better picture, but HW+ Tegra will use less power while failing to render properly sometimes.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) When playing video: Menu -> Play -> Use speedup tricks

The Note 3 has more than enough power to play 720p Hi10p. I've tested on all the recent high-end devices, and definitely no problems.
    I am having a very similar issue on my Nexus 9 running CyanogenMod ZNH5YAO0J1 and MX Player 1.8.9:
    - the file is a 10 bit 1080p HEVC, 1:40:58 long and 2 GB large which puts it at around 2850 kbit/s if my math is right.
    - HW and HW+ both say unsupported
    - alternative HW+ opens the video but only shows black screen. Audio plays normally
    - SW is borderline watchable with speedup and 4 cores but gets laggy in some scenes.
    Can such video work on Nexus 9 with sufficient speed at all? Or is the device just too underpowered?

Wysłane z mojego XT1580 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    I don't think our Nexus 9 has support for x265 10bit / just x265 yes
    x264 10bit yes!
    x265 10bit no!
    x265 maybe I think it worked for me once on CM.

PS. The Nexus 9 only has 2 cores :good:
    x265 is laggy on almost every device that uses SW
    Just wanted to add to the pool of knowledge here.

10bit 720p seems to be working perfectly so far on my Note 3. I only tested a couple of videos, but I have yet to see any lag, even during panning scenes. The videos tested were: Jojo Stardust Crusaders (some episodes, by Horriblesubs), Soul Eater Not (some episodes, also by Horriblesubs) and Nisekoi (one episode, by FFF). It is not overclocked, and I am running the X-Note rom. I disable multitasking and kill all processes just to be safe before playback (unsure if this is even needed). It is playing in H/W+.

I tried some 1080p 10bit videos and it was awful. I have no idea how the guy with the S5 managed to watch it. The Note 3 has the same hardware, so maybe the videos he tried were of a lower bitrate...? I don't know.
    For those with HTC M8, if you enable developer options and check high performance mode then you can playback Hi10p 1080p videos smoothly in SW mode in MX player. Just don't forget to turn it off afterwards as it sucks the battery life right out of the phone!

The S801 is powerful enough to play Hi10p 1080p in SW mode. I'm using an Asian model of the HTC M8 that clocks the S801 at 2.5GHz, European ans US models of the HTC M8 run the S801 at 2.3GHz but it should still be fast enough for Hi10p 1080p.