Thanks Meter: 248

By CDB-Man, Senior Member on 20th April 2014, 09:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th June 2014, 07:24 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordl

Just updated to pro to hopefully help with Chromecast development.

Same here ^^

7th June 2014, 05:41 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member

More
One major problem I forsee happening is that no device out there is powerful enough to transcode and subsequently cast 10bit 1080p video. Though that hardware spec limitation will probably disappear within 1 or 2 generations of phone microprocessors (I hope!).
7th June 2014, 08:40 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man

One major problem I forsee happening is that no device out there is powerful enough to transcode and subsequently cast 10bit 1080p video. Though that hardware spec limitation will probably disappear within 1 or 2 generations of phone microprocessors (I hope!).

Yeah, ok, right, nice and all, but... Can we hope for a release BEFORE 1 or 2 generations ?
8th June 2014, 12:38 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man

While this is true you forget that newer formats will also come within 1 or 2 generations. There is already talk of adopting H265 encoding for video, and we also have resolutions such as 4k becoming more commonplace. It's a constant have if catch up if you want to watch the best available.
8th June 2014, 07:18 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member

More
New formats will definitely be out of the question, but the thing is even current format transcode (H264 Hi10p) might not be possible. I'm not sure how efficient the developer can make 8-bit transcode, and/or whether he can get GPU assistance for that.
9th June 2014, 09:03 PM |#26  
Flag The Hague
Thanks Meter: 71

Donate to Me
More
But how does netflix does it?
13th June 2014, 07:28 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan-96

But how does netflix does it?

First of all, Netflix doesn't use 10-bit video; they use 8-bit video. Second of all, the video container is probably in a supported format, such as .mp4. Third, since it's a supported format, it can be directly "cast" to the Chromecast dongle, meaning there is no need for transcode and the dongle itself can decode it, since it's a supported format.
15th June 2014, 10:14 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I have been holding back from getting a chromecast for ages, figured that by this point lots of apps would be supported and even entire mirroring would be a viable option. Such a shame that this isn't the case. I am really looking forward to seeing progression and if beta testers are required at all I will be first in line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th June 2014, 12:59 AM |#29  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.C

I have been holding back from getting a chromecast for ages, figured that by this point lots of apps would be supported and even entire mirroring would be a viable option. Such a shame that this isn't the case. I am really looking forward to seeing progression and if beta testers are required at all I will be first in line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Unfortunately, Chromecast doesn't support Miracast (yet?), so that's out of the question for now. However, there are comparable devices that do support Miracast, and can be bought for very reasonable prices via eBay and such.
17th June 2014, 02:13 AM |#30  
Flag Belo Horizonte
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Is it so difficulty or impossible for the MX Player in a high end device to stream or mirror directly to the Chromecast ?
17th June 2014, 02:29 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member

More
Mirroring is not done by an app; it's done by the OS. Chromecast at the moment does not support Miracast (mirroring).

Casting video to Chromecast is done by an app. There are several apps out there that already cast to Chromecast (BubbleUPnP, AllCast, etc), but since there is no transcoding, it means that only video formats supported by the Chromecast dongle can be played.

The MX Player developer is trying to make all videos playable via Chromecast, by transcoding the video first before casting. This requires a powerful enough device to be able to do it. It's definitely possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to CDB-Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CDB-Man Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, mxplayer

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)