FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

is there a supported devices list somewhere?

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By ApuloNeko, Junior Member on 4th October 2017, 07:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've been using MXplayer for years now, on my tablets. I specifically chose Intel based ones, because then I could be sure hi10p could play in software mode at least.

Now that HVEC is getting more common, especially in anime fansubs, and Intel has abandoned the tablet/phone market, I need to switch to ARM based devices (edit, in case it's not clear: with hardware playback support). However, while the CPU specs state e.g. 1080p hvec at 8 and 10 bit decoding is supported, this is not the case for devices using this CPU, as the manufacturer needs to build in support for their version of Android. So unless one's buying a high end well know phone, it's a gamble whether or not a device will play back certain files.

For instance, I'm looking for a mid range phone, the Moto G5 Plus gets good reviews. The snap 625 cpu should be able to play 1080p h265 10bit anime files from what I gather, but I couldn't find any feedback if the Motorola G5 Plus actually supports those features of the cpu.

Is there anywhere a list to be found where users provide feedback on the results of their devices? I seem to recall I stumbled across such a list on the internet years ago, when h264 hi10p became popular, but I haven't had such luck with hvec support.

9th October 2017, 12:14 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,014

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApuloNeko

Is there anywhere a list to be found where users provide feedback on the results of their devices? I seem to recall I stumbled across such a list on the internet years ago, when h264 hi10p became popular, but I haven't had such luck with hvec support.

No, you may not get such lists in MX Player forum. Most of the recent devices come with the hevc 8bit support out of the box. but, 10-bit hevc is not supported natively in most of the lower midrange devices. You may have to use SW decoder on such devices.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)