FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Xiaomi Mibox (Android TV: Oreo) Can't access videos on external HD

679 posts
Thanks Meter: 93

By oroboros74, Senior Member on 29th June 2018, 10:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Mibox3 just received Android TV update to Oreo. MxPlayer now doesn't list files on external storage. No problems though using VLC. Suggestions?

Also, regarding Oreo, any updates on PiP?

29th June 2018, 03:19 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Same problem here Updated Mi Box MDZ-16-AB to Oreo and its not working on NTFS or exFAT32 formated USB drives, works fine in FAT32 formated USB drives .

LOG FILE:
E *MX.Directory: Can't open directory '/storage/emulated'. errno=13
E *MX.jni/Files: realpath(/storage/E000A25E00A23C02/MOVIE4-KILLERS[rarbg]) failed. errno=2
30th June 2018, 01:56 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros74

Mibox3 just received Android TV update to Oreo. MxPlayer now doesn't list files on external storage. No problems though using VLC. Suggestions?

Also, regarding Oreo, any updates on PiP?

Same problem with me, hope the new update for MX Player
30th June 2018, 08:14 AM |#4  

More
Kodi also cannot access files. However X-plore app is able to browse through the files in the hard disk.
1st July 2018, 12:20 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Hopefully we can get some support for this problem.
1st July 2018, 08:48 AM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,105

More
@oroboros74 @sreecalicut @teru2botzu @Emi68
The error no 2 in Linux denotes that there is no such file/directory exists.
This problem is basically due to the firmware bug. In our tests, most of the file managers have failed to list the files. Some file manager may only work if you grant the exclusive access to the USB device. They will mount with their own drivers. But, the files will not be accessible for other apps. Only very few apps are working without any special permissions. We will investigate further for the possible workarounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thirumalai.K For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thirumalai.K Ad-Free
2nd July 2018, 07:56 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

This problem is basically due to the firmware bug. In our tests, most of the file managers have failed to list the files. Some file manager may only work if you grant the exclusive access to the USB device. They will mount with their own drivers. But, the files will not be accessible for other apps. Only very few apps are working without any special permissions. We will investigate further for the possible workarounds.

MXPlayer's main competitor, VLC has figured out how to do this properly with Oreo (VLC also has Oreo's picture-in-picture). For now Mibox users (and other Android TV 8+ users?) can migrate to VLC.

I can confirm X-plore and MiXplorer both work as expected wrt external storage usage.

Hopefully MX Player can catch up to Android O (now that P is coming out)!
2nd July 2018, 02:41 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I found a workaround to watch the files in MX Player, not a solution but still I can watch my stuff.
I use the ES File Explorer to browse the drive and chose Mx Player as default player, so far it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

3rd July 2018, 05:20 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi68

I found a workaround to watch the files in MX Player, not a solution but still I can watch my stuff.
I use the ES File Explorer to browse the drive and chose Mx Player as default player, so far it works

Even ES file explorer show as blank until or unless you grant the exclusive access to control the USB drive. When you give exclusive access, the drive is mounted using ES's own drivers. Not the system default one. The drive won't be visible to any apps. We will try to escalate this issue with xiaomi team.
4th July 2018, 07:45 AM |#10  

More
Before update 6 version perfectly saw all hard drives with NTFS. After update 8 version writes"cannot recognize drive". This is a mockery of customers. Nothing more to buy XAOMI!
4th July 2018, 09:47 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor

More
We are investigating further for a possible workaround for this firmware bug. We will try our best to get it resolved at the earliest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thirumalai.K For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thirumalai.K Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
external storage access, mibox, oreo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)