[PC/MAC/LINUX] The official, full Andromeda thread for Substratum [Android 8.0.0+]

Search This thread

stastnysnipes26

Mar 22, 2011
Erie, PA
Pixel XL here. Would love to help test this.

Wont be able to put Andromeda on my PC until later this evening though when I get out of work.

Let me know if you still need testers.

kriko

Apr 9, 2008
Haven't been this excited since owning a smartphone.
Awaiting for substratum updates, hope we get is soon :p

bzeimen

Apr 27, 2012
I'm on a Pixel and Windows 10 machine. I'd be willing to test, but it doesn't sounds like you need any more help. I'll just wait for the full release!

Pheno.menon

Aug 24, 2010
San Jose
Good lord, this wait is killing me. But, I'm glad they are taking their time to make sure there's no surprises and everything works as it should.

Reactions: Platnuum

stastnysnipes26

Mar 22, 2011
Erie, PA
Out of curiosity, will it ever be possible for elevated privileges to persist a reboot?

Not like I'll be changing themes very frequently, just wondering.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
I'm glad that a lot of people are interested. Unfortunately I'll apologize in advance if I couldn't get to your PM. My inbox just flooded like no tomorrow! Haha

Mac, Windows and Linux clients are all done, including the universal UI (alpha). So if the universal UI doesn't work, there will be a fallback.

The Andromeda app is also done and privately tested ATM. Substratum is getting patches up and ready and will be done today or tomorrow, then the full announcement for the huge update will be pushed AFTER our scheduled XDA portal post is done :)

pwr1999

Jan 26, 2012
Nice going, I've been waiting for this!

LbFy9Gg.png

Requirements
  1. Android Oreo (8.0.0)
  2. Unrooted
  3. Some reading skills

Android Devices Tested On:

Success chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16H-qnOJLIrqFiyxTQTFQlRAqOrBuT5GE7spHqtQZS1E

Computers Tested On:
  1. Windows 10 - 100% works
  2. Mac OS X - 50% works (if you can't launch it, uninstall your custom fonts)
  3. Linux - 100% works

Step 1 - Download these files!

ADB MUST BE INSTALLED SYSTEM-WIDE!

ADB installer (Windows): https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
ADB installation (Windows, Mac & Linux): https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/

If you already have ADB installed, skip to Step 3.

Desktop counterpart: <link withheld until portal post>

Step 2 - Test your ADB connection

You will now have to open a command prompt (Windows) / Terminal (Mac / Linux) window and type:

Code:
adb shell
adb devices

Ensure that your device is listed and then you may proceed.

Step 3 - Install the mobile clients from the Play Store

Play Store (Substratum v839+): If you have not yet, please install the main app! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.substratum

Play Store (Andromeda): You can install the latest Substratum on Android Oreo, unrooted, and it will prompt you directly (can't link due to paid addon)

XDA Labs (Andromeda): #Soon

Step 4 - Load up the Andromeda Desktop Client!

QB3Z7iS.png

Click on your desired device on the right as you ensure that your ADB is fully working.

To confirm Andromeda Desktop client has seen your device, you will notice that upon clicking on your device, it will check whether your device has the app installed. If it does, you will see "Andromeda service not started on this device!"

Step 5 - Start it

lEGYl2U.gif

Just click "Start Andromeda Service" and if everything was installed properly, you will launch Substratum in Andromeda mode!

Congrats! You can now use your device in Andromeda mode until your next reboot!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: What happens if Substratum loads up to a blurry window saying "falling back to rooted mode"?
A: This means that Andromeda's client does not want to serve you, meaning that you probably are running an unlicensed/modified copy.

Q: I am pressing the Substratum icon but it closes immediately! What gives?!
A: Rerun the Andromeda client and try again.

Q: If I reboot, will I lose this connection with the Andromeda Desktop client?
A: Yes, to keep the device safe, Google has ensured that elevated privileges using the shell will be completely disabled at boot.

Q: If I reboot, will my overlays remain enabled/disabled as I left them before I rebooted?
A: Yes

Q: What is supported officially by Andromeda mode?
A: Overlays and Wallpapers

Special Thanks
  1. Jeff Corcoran (@blk_jack)
  2. Ivan Iskandar @iskandar1023)

---------- Post added at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions for Windows

Step 1 - Download your file for your current operating system!

Andromeda App 6.0.0 (Windows): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397937511

Step 2 - Install the mobile clients from the Play Store

Play Store (Substratum v839+): If you have not yet, please install the main app! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.substratum

Play Store (Andromeda): You can install the latest Substratum on Android Oreo, unrooted, and it will prompt you directly (can't link due to paid addon)

Step 3 - Load up the Andromeda Desktop Client or Script!

1. Enable "USB debugging" on your device
    2. Install systemwide ADB drivers on your PC
    3. Connect your device to your PC
    4. Download the desktop client ZIP archive from the link below
    5. Extract the downloaded archive file and open the extracted app
    6. Press any button to start/stop server
    7. Wait for the process to finish, then you can disconnect your device from your PC
      You will need to do the instructions above every time you reboot your device.
    Andromeda v20 has been rolled out, and we have a key few things that need to be noted!

I would like to clarify that the sneak peek of Andromeda and root a few days ago was not designed to be a way to replace rooted substratum builds, or to convince that root + Andromeda is the way to go.

As a small number of users seem to be using Andromeda on a rooted device, it is simply just one rooted call that executes the same environment as if you plugged your device into the computer. Just like the current rooted Magisk plugins/scripts that require you to execute "su andromeda" by the community in XDA.

To those who used to run masquerade and substratum back in the day, the calling package usually suffered the most because it caused a heavy configuration change due to "assetSeq" code from CMTE. As we are now using direct shell calls, the configuration change is lighter than the previous implementation but still exists, thus, a more reliable way for us was to "offload" the configuration change from the main substratum app.

You do NOT need to (re)purchase Andromeda, and I would personally just stick with rooted mode on substratum for free if you are on Oreo, despite the configuration change explanation above, as Android O's Dynamic Overlays are faster than "assetSeq" and more reliable.

However if you're unrooted, the recommended method is to definitely give Andromeda a try!

One more thing, running the script no longer automatically runs substratum. As we have new plans of the app very soon and it shouldn't just be reserved for substratum!
    As promised, this is the major Substratum update that will prompt you guys to download Andromeda.

11AM EST is the rollout time for the articles and the Andromeda addon APK!

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=73748157&postcount=15

For those impatient: https://time.is/EST
    I'm glad that a lot of people are interested. Unfortunately I'll apologize in advance if I couldn't get to your PM. My inbox just flooded like no tomorrow! Haha

Mac, Windows and Linux clients are all done, including the universal UI (alpha). So if the universal UI doesn't work, there will be a fallback.

The Andromeda app is also done and privately tested ATM. Substratum is getting patches up and ready and will be done today or tomorrow, then the full announcement for the huge update will be pushed AFTER our scheduled XDA portal post is done :)
    Hi all, this is a simple series of clean up commands for when you migrate to the new version of Substratum 990+, AND are on a Samsung device.

Newly compiled overlays will be readily visible on 990+ on Samsung + Andromeda users.

These commands are to be run INSIDE adb shell!

Uninstall all INACTIVE overlays:

Code:
    for item in $(cmd overlay list | grep '\[ \]' | sed 's/\[ \]//');do echo ${item} && pm uninstall ${item};done

Uninstall all ACTIVE overlays:

Code:
    for item in $(cmd overlay list | grep '\[x\]' | sed 's/\[x\]//');do echo ${item} && pm uninstall ${item};done

Uninstall all INVALID overlays:

Code:
    for item in $(cmd overlay list | grep '\-\-\-' | sed 's/---//');do echo ${item} && pm uninstall ${item};done