FORUMS

How can I decomp an APK & show a preview of it on Android Studio to make an overlay?

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By YousufSSyed, Junior Member on 19th January 2020, 06:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I want to make a substratum overlay of the Pocket app to tweak the layout. I'll admit I don't know much since I'm pretty new to this.

I extracted an APK for the Pocket app using adb pull, and decompiled it with apktool. I then tried importing it onto Android Studio (on Windows) and selected to import with Android Gradle instead of just Gradle (since the later doesn't work for me). I did some looking up online and it seems that apktool isn't perfect for decompiling apps, and I might be doing something wrong with showing the preview, what I tried is opening up XML files in the layout folder and the preview would not load (after looking stuff up online, apparently somewhere on the bottom of Android Studio, I have to select text instead of design but I don't see it anywhere). Are there ways to decompile the APKs like for the pocket app better, as well actually be able to preview XML files?

I attached the pocket APK in case that's helpful.

pocket.apk
23rd January 2020, 10:19 PM |#2  
Recognized Themer
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 46,927

Donate to Me
More
You cannot preview unless you have source. Theming is a ton of trial and error so you'll have to find the resources and add them to an overlay to change the look..

Join the theme devs collective for substratum for faster help. We have links to tools and process but searching the forums on "how to theme" should be your first stop, as we only show you how to use substratum to theme not how to theme. Finding the resources and knowing what to change is on you. Moving those resources to substratum we can teach.

Hope that helps!
@themingHelp use in telegram to join.

DJ

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)