FORUMS

Next steps for Samsung Nougat and Substratum

15,312 posts
Thanks Meter: 29,259
 
Post Reply Email Thread
15th February 2018, 11:13 AM |#21  
Aria.A97's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,865
 
More
As an amateur developer & someone who bought Sungstratum, I can understand both sides in this argument.

I was among the first ones who tried unofficial method of moving overlays from system/overlay to data/overlay on my S6. I also tried installing those overlays on my non-rooted Note 5 and to some extent they did work.
However when sungstratum first published in Play Store, even rooted people had to buy the addon which I happily did. It was quite surprising to see something like substratum on Samsung's closed source touchwiz specially considering the quality of themes in Samsung's own Theme Store.

However I disagree with this
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanchance

We have never stated that Sungstratum will be supported on Oreo.

archive.org doesn't work on Play Store pages but I can still find early descriptions
I don't know when you changed play store description but back then you guys clearly stated that this will work later on.
Quote:

An add-on to enable rootless mode for Samsung devices (Nougat+/7.0+) on our main theme engine Substratum downloadable here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ekt.substratum

If Samsung now uses OMS just like every other OEM, then it means they've standardized their TouchWiz.
And now Samsung users have to pay twice to use substratum rootless which obviously they don't appreciate.

On the other hand, working on these kind of things and getting to stable stage is pretty time consuming, hard & sometimes demotivating. We saw the first lines about themes in Lollipop source code, and Google is still delaying the announcement of Theme Support in AOSP after three years. And [projekt.] team are the only ones who work on this ahead of time as far as I know so they need real support.
If you find rooting your device complicated and difficult (Which for the most people is the main reason of not rooting),before ranting devs take a minute to think how difficult and time taking substratum can get.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aria.A97 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aria.A97 Ad-Free
15th February 2018, 11:13 AM |#22  
Senior Member
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 132
 
More
How do I buy Andromeda? I don't see it on the play store, only the icon pack one.

I don't mind paying again, it's only $3 or so and I get use out of the themes all the time. Thanks for the work you all do.
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tracerit Ad-Free
15th February 2018, 11:35 AM |#23  
MSF Jarvis's Avatar
XDA Feed Mod/RC
Flag Ghaziabad
Thanks Meter: 7,510
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit

How do I buy Andromeda? I don't see it on the play store, only the icon pack one.

I don't mind paying again, it's only $3 or so and I get use out of the themes all the time. Thanks for the work you all do.

The thread has the play store link as well as instructions and other resources for Andromeda.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSF Jarvis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MSF Jarvis Ad-Free
15th February 2018, 11:59 AM |#24  
Senior Member
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 132
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloali

Also I'm not sure if the developers realize this but most users using Sungstratum are still running Nougat. They can't even take advantage of this deal because the Play Store says they don't have a compatible device because they need to be running Oreo to buy Andromeda. They can't even use the web version of the Play Store to purchase Andromeda because it won't let you install it on any devices that aren't running Oreo. Was this done on purpose or do the developers just not realize this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSF Jarvis

The thread has the play store link as well as instructions and other resources for Andromeda.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA Labs

I'm getting a device not compatible prompt on my nougat note 8 which makes since since I'm not in Oreo. Will this sale be available again when the note 8 Oreo comes online?
GuestK0087
15th February 2018, 06:57 PM |#25  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thread cleaned.

First of all, no one made you purchase anything. You did so at your own free will.
Second, this thread is not the place to discus such things. Take your arguments to private message and keep it respectful.

Thanks!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
15th February 2018, 07:01 PM |#26  
nathanchance's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Mesa, AZ
Thanks Meter: 50,824
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloali

...

Fair enough, I doubt you'll find many people to agree with that sentiment. Not to mention that four of the other seven team members (@Char_G, @MSF Jarvis, @nicholaschum, and @Surge1223) signed off on my statement. I give a lot to this community for absolutely nothing at all, I don't have a donate button, and I've purposefully turned down several donation requests.

I clearly won't convince you the amount of effort that we put into Substratum as a whole is worth the extra money and I am sorry you feel that way. I think we have delivered a good experience so far and we have more plans to continue to deliver more without any upgrade fees. Again, I am sorry for telling you off in the way that I did; it was unprofessional and uncalled for. However, telling us it is unfair that our work is not delivered for free is rather hurtful since it's telling us our time doesn't matter compared to yours. There are eight team members who all do various different tasks to deliver a great experience across all our platforms and we work 7 days a week to do this, check our git history. Heck, in the past two weeks, our diff was:
Code:
Showing 238 changed files with 8,468 additions and 12,573 deletions.
So if you don't believe we deserve that extra $1 to $2 then fair enough, you have the freedom to stop using our software.

Also, to reiterate, Samsung Nougat will continue to work and we will support any issues that come about from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloali

...

We never said that there won't be more sales or migration opportunities. There are some Samsung devices getting Oreo now that can take advantage of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria.A97

archive.org doesn't work on Play Store pages but I can still find early descriptions
I don't know when you changed play store description but back then you guys clearly stated that this will work later on.

I apologize then, I wasn't really involved with Sungstratum in the beginning.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nathanchance For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2018, 07:14 PM |#27  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
This is a great community here. My posts that are making valid points have been deleted by mods. There is no freedom of speech here. It's either "say what the developers want you to say or get out."

Round of applause for you, XDA Forums. Big round of applause...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haloali For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haloali Ad-Free
GuestK0087
15th February 2018, 07:29 PM |#28  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloali

This is a great community here. My posts that are making valid points have been deleted by mods. There is no freedom of speech here. It's either "say what the developers want you to say or get out."

Round of applause for you, XDA Forums. Big round of applause...

You're right, there is no free speech here. This isn't a country, it's a privately owned website governed by our own rules. Read the description "Created by developers for developers" if you can't abide by our rules, I.E. following moderator instructions in my asking you to take this argument private, you will face the consequences of violating those rules.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
1st March 2018, 12:53 AM |#29  
Senior Member
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 84
 
More
Some of you people on here are the most self righteous, ignorant and poorly mannered people I have ever had the misfortune of coming across. It's like me getting up in the morning, driving to work for 30 mins, working 10 hours and then driving home for another 30 mins all for free. That's not how it works! If Devs aren't making a profit out of their work, where's the incentive to work at all. What makes it more irritating is that fact it is a mere couple of dollars, and you're making yourselves in to victims and making it sound like you've been scammed out of hundreds. GET A GRIP! Like others have said, nobody is making you buy the app there is other methods to use. I also just want to take this opportunity to actually thank the devs of this project, I recently went out and bought myself and S8 (still running nougat) and because of their hard work I've made the phone mine and fell in love with it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NeophyteGS2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NeophyteGS2 Ad-Free
1st March 2018, 01:17 AM |#30  
nathanchance's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Mesa, AZ
Thanks Meter: 50,824
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeophyteGS2

Some of you people on here are the most self righteous, ignorant and poorly mannered people I have ever had the misfortune of coming across. It's like me getting up in the morning, driving to work for 30 mins, working 10 hours and then driving home for another 30 mins all for free. That's not how it works! If Devs aren't making a profit out of their work, where's the incentive to work at all. What makes it more irritating is that fact it is a mere couple of dollars, and you're making yourselves in to victims and making it sound like you've been scammed out of hundreds. GET A GRIP! Like others have said, nobody is making you buy the app there is other methods to use. I also just want to take this opportunity to actually thank the devs of this project, I recently went out and bought myself and S8 (still running nougat) and because of their hard work I've made the phone mine and fell in love with it.

Unfortunately, this is just a byproduct of the ecosystem we are in. It's entirely normal for new versions of desktop products to cost money after being updated for a new version of an operating system (VMware Fusion, Parallels, Alfred, and Bartender are four I can think of when I was using my MacBook Pro). The thought of a mobile app doing the same thing is ludicrous to most people but they don't realize how much effort actually goes into the development of such apps. Sungstratum and Andromeda are our only two paid apps. We have developed the core Substratum app and the custom ROM rootless implementation for free since the beginning, with no plans to change that. I absolutely understand why people are upset about this; however, I believe it is unjustified but we'll see how it pans out. I (and I am sure the rest of the team) appreciate the kind words, it's what keeps us going.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nathanchance For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2018, 03:19 AM |#31  
Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
I bought the new app without hesitation. Yes I had sungstratum and the add on before and I was delighted with that too. I'm not a developer but I know how much time and energy it takes to produce a product that you can happily put your name to and that you know will deliver for your user base. Xda forums is a community where we help each other do things and push boundaries we probably wouldn't be able to achieve alone,and if a few dollars helps developers create something I certianly dont have the knowledge to do myself,so that I can look forward to using it on my phone, then I think they absolutely deserve my donation for that. Keep up the good work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bxperiaz3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bxperiaz3 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes