FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[BETA][2017.09.18] SuperSU v2.82 SR4

11,187 posts
Thanks Meter: 85,388

By Chainfire, XDA Ad-Free Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 5th September 2014, 12:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th September 2017, 07:27 PM |#11151  
Thanks Meter: 827

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe_budda

So I have a rather odd issue. Updated to Oreo which is fine. Then followed whats in this guide https://discussions.citrix.com/topic...-application/. All went fine apps all seem to work great root worked better than ever even SUhide works great. Only odd thing I have now is I play a Marvel Contest of Champions on my phone the app launches then says "Your Device is out of storage space. Please clear some space and try again later." Which makes no sense I have 65 GB of free space. So I did some trial and error and found out that the error only happens after flashing SuperSU I tried it both with 2.82 SR3 and SR2. Just uninstalling SuperSU doesn't correct the issue either I have to boot to TWRP wipe system and rerun the update of Andriod to Oreo from ADB and the game will launch fine. But if I again try to flash SuperSU it pops the same error after reboot. The phone is Pixel XL running 8.0.0 Patch Level is 8/5/17 Build Number is OPR6.170623.012. The game is the only thing that doesn't seem to work it's very odd. I also tried letting the phone update 8.0.0/OPR3.170623.007 which is Patch level 9/5/17 I believe and it was still the same issue after flashing SuperSU. I would post logs but I am honestly not sure which logs to post for this kind of issue. I also tried reflashing SuperSU from FlashFire on the build OPR6.170623.012 still the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

logcat would probably do, at least for starters.
Also instead of wiping system and reinstalling Android see what happens if you just restore the kernel to stock. You should have a backup image of the stock kernel at /data/stock_boot_<sha1 hash of boot image>.img.gz
The hash is of the image file after you extract it.
Or just take a backup before applying Supersu.
Take a backup of the boot partition before restoring stock then to get root back just restore the backup.
This works because most of what supersu needs to do in order to work takes place in the kernel patches it applies. The support files will still be on the data partition, they just won't do anything.

14th September 2017, 11:02 PM |#11152  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

logcat would probably do, at least for starters.
Also instead of wiping system and reinstalling Android see what happens if you just restore the kernel to stock. You should have a backup image of the stock kernel at /data/stock_boot_<sha1 hash of boot image>.img.gz
The hash is of the image file after you extract it.
Or just take a backup before applying Supersu.
Take a backup of the boot partition before restoring stock then to get root back just restore the backup.
This works because most of what supersu needs to do in order to work takes place in the kernel patches it applies. The support files will still be on the data partition, they just won't do anything.

Okay, I'll give it a try think it's them though this was posted on their forum.

http://forums.playcontestofchampions...omment/126093/
14th September 2017, 11:22 PM |#11153  
Thanks Meter: 827

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe_budda

Okay, I'll give it a try think it's them though this was posted on their forum.

http://forums.playcontestofchampions...omment/126093/

It's still interesting that it only seems to trigger when you're rooted. Probably won't have a solution, but still interested in what logcat shows.
If active root is really the trigger you can simply have 2 different boot images backed up. One before Supersu and one that's patched by Supersu, restore the pre-patched one to play the game, restore the other to get root back.
Pain in the butt, but it's one way to get to play relatively easy.
18th September 2017, 06:12 PM |#11154  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Hi guys, hello @Chainfire,

I have a problem with SuperSU Pro.

After I have accidentally hided SuperSU and suhide with the Volume Rocker combination I was finally able to manually unroot and reinstall everything. I was not able to use SuperSU anymore because the app was not shown in my Launcher anymore. So far so good. But now I can't SuperSU Pro to work. I can install it via Playstore but nothing happens, SuperSU is shown as free version. And even when it says it is installed the install button appears again. my system even says it is installed.. Is there something I can do to get Pro working again?

The Screenshots are in the order I have tried it to install.
18th September 2017, 06:25 PM |#11155  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
(a) resize images so they aren't ginormous
(b) reboot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2017, 06:40 PM |#11156  
Flag Ames
Thanks Meter: 913

More
Nexus 6p stock 8.0. Latest supersu.
Lost root, but reboot restored.
Been trying to recreate to get logs since this happened, but unsuccessful. If it happens again, I'll update with logs. (yeah yeah i know, logs or it didn't happen)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170916-155936.png
Views:	864
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	4276256  
18th September 2017, 08:00 PM |#11157  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Šilutė
Thanks Meter: 853

Donate to Me
More
@Chainfire So, I tried SuperSU v2.82 SR3 in LineageOS 11 (based on Android 4.4.4) on my Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus and here's what I got:

I used your AROMA-based SuperSU config ZIP to generate this config that you see here:
SYSTEMLESS=true
BINDSBIN=true
FRP=false
BINDSYSTEMXBIN=false
PERMISSIVE=true

Firstly, I tried to directly flash the SuperSU ZIP, but I couldn't get systemless mode to work, even after using that config (So, I did a mod to the update-binary of that ZIP (which is shown in the first attached screenshot) and install went well without any issues, but after my device has booted, I noticed some issues):

The SuperSU app wasn't being installed, so I installed it manually from SuperSU v2.82 SR3 ZIP and noticed some other issues:

- All root requests would be kind of stuck (For example, when I opened a terminal emulator and typed "su", the root prompt would appear, but after clicking "Grant", the toast message appeared saying that SuperSU granted root permission to that app from time to time, but thall
erminal emulator never dropped me into the root shell (The same thing happened with other apps, like FX by NextApp (nextapp.fx), so this isn't the app's fault)

- SuperSU app always said that "SU binary needs to be updated" (This is obviously fake in this case)

- SuperSU app never logged root grants (only denials for some reason)

- SuperSU would allow me to install it as system app in its settings, despite that option being grayed out if systemless root is detected

And, here are some notes that I found while I was messing around:
- If I uninstalled the SuperSU app, then root worked fine (But if I reinstalled it and set it up, existing root sessions worked fine, but new ones didn't as described above)
- I also noticed that the launch_daemonsu.sh script placed the SuperSU app without any issues, but it placed that app wrongly

Here's an another bug that I found:
- su.d scripts would not execute at all (I don't know why)

And, here are the reasons for most of the bugs that I mentioned:
- SuperSU not installed: Different user app structure (the raw .apk files directly go in /data/app folder)
- SuperSU app's weird things: That app's code isn't able to work well with a weird setup like this
- Root requests being kind of stuck: Sort of unknown, but it might be SuperSU app-related

/sbin/.launch_daemonsu.log contents are shown in the second attached screenshot

"ps | grep su" output is shown in the third attached screenshot

Note: SuperSU needs a lot of other adjustments to work well in systemless mode on KitKat

Note 2: I did have suhide-lite v1.08 installed with some adjustments (which I will cover in the suhide-lite thread later on), but I don't think it affected this test

Note 3: Is it OK if "getprop init.svc.daemonsu" returns "stopped" (but root works fine and daemonsu processes are running, according to "ps | grep su" output)?

So, this is the end of this long post, but before you go, I wanted to give you some questions:
- Is there any more info that I can provide that would be helpful?
- What should I have done differently during this procedure?
- And, would you fix these issues under any circumstances?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-18-20-25-48.png
Views:	818
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	4276331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-18-16-47-32.png
Views:	820
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	4276333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-18-21-44-25.png
Views:	828
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	4276335  
18th September 2017, 08:06 PM |#11158  
Flag Hamburg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

(a) resize images so they aren't ginormous
(b) reboot

Sorry, I use Tapatalk to attach photos.

I rebooted several times, but I have no luck. I can't solve this issue.

SuperSU Pro is also not shown in suhide.
18th September 2017, 08:06 PM |#11159  

Donate to Me
More
SuperSU v2.82-SR4 released: https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/BtFBSucPg29
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2017, 08:21 PM |#11160  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodoGTA

So, I tried SuperSU v2.82 SR3 in LineageOS 11 (based on Android 4.4.4) on my Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus and here's what I got:

I used your AROMA-based SuperSU config ZIP to generate this config that you see here:
SYSTEMLESS=true
BINDSBIN=true
FRP=false
BINDSYSTEMXBIN=false
PERMISSIVE=true

Note: SuperSU needs a lot of other adjustments to work well in systemless mode on KitKat

Note 2: I did have suhide-lite v1.08 installed with some adjustments (which I will cover in the suhide-lite thread later on), but I don't think it affected this test

- And, would you fix these issues under any circumstances?

Systemless SuperSU requires Android 6.0 or newer (5.1 on Samsung), because a lot of commands and scripts etc are not compatible, precisely as you have discovered.

It would require incorporating busybox to make the installation more reliable, which I refuse to do due to busybox's license. You're having quite some luck with the scripts and binary precisely because LineageOS offers a lot more standard commands than Android did itself at that time. Unfortunately for you, probably not everything went well, and even if it did, the APK has hardcoded API level checks for code paths that would otherwise be to costly to check, and we know aren't supported anyway.

When systemless SuperSU was made even then I limited it to 6.0+ and then 4.4 wasn't even that old, but now 4.4 is nigh 4 years old, and it would require quite a bit of effort to get it compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR2N

I rebooted several times, but I have no luck. I can't solve this issue.

SuperSU Pro is also not shown in suhide.

Very strange!

You can try this from root shell:

Code:
pm unhide eu.chainfire.supersu.pro
pm uninstall eu.chainfire.supersu.pro
Then reinstall from Play Store.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2017, 08:38 PM |#11161  
Flag Hamburg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Systemless SuperSU requires Android 6.0 or newer (5.1 on Samsung), because a lot of commands and scripts etc are not compatible, precisely as you have discovered.

It would require incorporating busybox to make the installation more reliable, which I refuse to do due to busybox's license. You're having quite some luck with the scripts and binary precisely because LineageOS offers a lot more standard commands than Android did itself at that time. Unfortunately for you, probably not everything went well, and even if it did, the APK has hardcoded API level checks for code paths that would otherwise be to costly to check, and we know aren't supported anyway.

When systemless SuperSU was made even then I limited it to 6.0+ and then 4.4 wasn't even that old, but now 4.4 is nigh 4 years old, and it would require quite a bit of effort to get it compatible.

Very strange!

You can try this from root shell:

Code:
pm unhide eu.chainfire.supersu.pro
pm uninstall eu.chainfire.supersu.pro
Then reinstall from Play Store.

Hi Chainfire,

the first command did it. What was the reason, do you have an idea? Maybe the hiding with suhide?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)