FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[BETA][2017.10.01] SuperSU v2.82 SR5

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,203

By Chainfire, Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 5th September 2014, 01:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th December 2017, 11:17 AM |#11521  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Šilutė
Thanks Meter: 1,047

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

I have considered trying Magisk again, but in the previous versions I tried on my Nextbook Ares 8A x86, Android 6.0.1 tablet, I lost root in less than a day, with it. That is unexceptable. I have never lost root with SuperSu, despite using many beta versions of it.
I follow the Magisk beta threads and look at the unofficial builds thread of it frequently, but am fearful of trying it again.
However, I do like the fact it is in active development, so the lastest unofficial versions may be much improved:
https://github.com/kantjer/MagiskFiles

You should try the latest Magisk unofficial snapshot (I don't see any root loss with it, I think)

But, please provide as much information as possible if you experience that issue again

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus using XDA Labs

7th December 2017, 12:12 PM |#11522  
Thanks Meter: 578

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardEb

Maybe this Version is stable. But what will happen if there is a new bug or even a zero day security issue?

Maybe it will take weeks maybe years until die SuperSu developer will release a Bugfix. There are also no compatibility checks for new Android releases.

No i'd like to stay off supersu for now.

People have already been using it for a few months. Even if there is an issue with SuperSU or you wish to switch it can be easily removed and likewise for Magisk. If you're worried about it that much you can just make a complete backup of your phone before you try it. Which is good practice for any time you are going to use something that will modify a device's working configuration.

I just wiped my cache, boot, system and vendor partitions last night to install Android 8.1.0. Then I installed SR5 and my kennel of choice and I haven't had any problems on my Nexus 5X.
The Following User Says Thank You to dechronic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dechronic Ad-Free
7th December 2017, 02:52 PM |#11523  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,109

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardEb

Maybe this Version is stable. But what will happen if there is a new bug or even a zero day security issue?

Maybe it will take weeks maybe years until die SuperSu developer will release a Bugfix. There are also no compatibility checks for new Android releases.

No i'd like to stay off supersu for now.

Same exposures/risks exist for other alternatives. Arguments can be built and torn down over who does what better, when and why. Security dramas are just that. Yes, there are real threats in the wild that must be monitored (no worries; screaming media headlines will keep us informed) and occasionally warrant a response. In the end personal behaviors are biggest determiners of what happens to your electronic gizmos and the information entered into them. If worried don't root.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Davey126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Davey126 Ad-Free
7th December 2017, 03:27 PM |#11524  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi all
I just upgraded my Nexus 6P to Pixel 2 XL. I have unlocked bootloader (and critical partitions), and got the 8.1.0 official update. Can I use the latest Super-SU to root my device the same way I did with the Nexus 6P?
7th December 2017, 04:10 PM |#11525  
Flag Greenhouse @ Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 531

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elotan

Hi all
I just upgraded my Nexus 6P to Pixel 2 XL. I have unlocked bootloader (and critical partitions), and got the 8.1.0 official update. Can I use the latest Super-SU to root my device the same way I did with the Nexus 6P?

If SuperSU works I don't know but you can try magisk
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...nlock-t3715279
7th December 2017, 04:24 PM |#11526  
Thanks Meter: 273

More
got sr5 working on my verizon pixel xl (much thanks to @AP2FTW for the game changing tip). see my steps below. steps assume that you have the latest platform tools and google drivers, and that all files are in the proper folders.

1) back up everything
2) plug phone into laptop
3) adb reboot bootloader
4) flash factory image 8.1
5) phone automatically reboots
6) do NOT set fingerprint, password, or pin during setup process
7) turn on developer options
8) allow usb debugging
9) put twrp 3.2 zip onto phone
10) adb reboot bootloader
11) fastboot boot twrp img
12) install twrp zip
13) reboot system
14) extract supersu sr5 zip file on your computer... find the superuser apk file and put that on your phone
15) put the sr5 zip file on your phone also
16) adb reboot recovery
17) install supersu zip
18) reboot system
19) supersu app should not show up in your app tray... now run the superuser apk file
20) supersu should now be installed on your phone

EDIT
when flashing the factory image, i did a clean install... no removal of -w from flash-all.bat file, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to peterlee928 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift peterlee928 Ad-Free
7th December 2017, 04:30 PM |#11527  
Flag Mia
Thanks Meter: 106

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee928

got sr5 working on my verizon pixel xl (much thanks to @AP2FTW for the game changing tip). see my steps below. steps assume that you have the latest platform tools and google drivers, and that all files are in the proper folders.

1) back up everything
3) adb reboot bootloader
8) allow usb debugging
12) install twrp zip
13) reboot system
14) extract supersu sr5 zip file on your computer... find the superuser apk file and put that on your phone
16) adb reboot recovery
17) install supersu zip
18) reboot system
19) supersu app should not show up in your app tray... now run the superuser apk file

I just used a file explorer on my phone to go into the zip and click on the supersu apk

I also flash suhide in twrp to pass safety net as per homeboys instructions in his thread

Edit I'd also like to make clear that I did initially flash the supersu zip in twrp...but when I didn't see the app in my drawer I figured let me try to find the APK in the zip and install it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AP2FTW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AP2FTW Ad-Free
7th December 2017, 05:13 PM |#11528  
Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 1,055

More
Quote:

Hi all

SuperSu (any version) does not work on the Pixel 2 XL (any build) unfortunately. Oh how I wish that it did!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using XDA Labs
7th December 2017, 06:55 PM |#11529  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1,340

More
Quote:

Hi all

No, unfortunately the only current root method for the Pixel 2 XL is patching the boot.img with Magisk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
7th December 2017, 09:12 PM |#11530  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee928

1) back up everything
3) adb reboot bootloader
8) allow usb debugging
12) install twrp zip
13) reboot system
16) adb reboot recovery
17) install supersu zip
18) reboot system

I tried this step by step several times. In TWRP 3.2 when flashing SuperSu i get fail on patch sepolicy. On reboot I install apk but shows not rooted. Scratching my head here. Pixel Sailfish (google) 8.1 final version.
7th December 2017, 09:16 PM |#11531  
Thanks Meter: 273

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox923

I tried this step by step several times. In TWRP 3.2 when flashing SuperSu i get fail on patch sepolicy. On reboot I install apk but shows not rooted. Scratching my head here. Pixel Sailfish (google) 8.1 final version.

somethings going wrong when flashing sr5. i didnt get fail on patch sepolicy. to be fair i definitely tried this process multiple times before it stuck (likely user error on my end).

feel free to pm me.

EDIT
one suggestion is to do a clean flash of the factory image. i failed to note that in my instructions, which i will amend now. hopefully that does the trick.
The Following User Says Thank You to peterlee928 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift peterlee928 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)