FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[BETA][2017.10.01] SuperSU v2.82 SR5

11,416 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,014

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 5th September 2014, 12:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th February 2019, 07:22 PM |#12181  
The entire reason Koush open-sourced Clockworkmod Superuser was because SuperSU wasn't open source and he wanted to be sure an alternative could be built. topjohnwu used a fork of that code along with snippets of code from other sources to create Magisk. Point being if you have the skills and the code, you could build that alternative to both Magisk and SuperSU and everyone will be happy.

27th February 2019, 08:19 PM |#12182  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,397

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi

The entire reason Koush open-sourced Clockworkmod Superuser was because SuperSU wasn't open source and he wanted to be sure an alternative could be built. topjohnwu used a fork of that code along with snippets of code from other sources to create Magisk. Point being if you have the skills and the code, you could build that alternative to both Magisk and SuperSU and everyone will be happy.

I was under the impression the underlying root was actually PHH super user?
27th February 2019, 09:10 PM |#12183  
Thanks Meter: 1,177

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx

It was originally, but I think it has been changed beyond recognition. I think. There has been a lot of conversation back and forth over copying code.
The Following User Says Thank You to habylab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift habylab Ad-Free
27th February 2019, 09:37 PM |#12184  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,397

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by habylab

It was originally, but I think it has been changed beyond recognition. I think. There has been a lot of conversation back and forth over copying code.

Well I expect it has. At the end of the day root is root and how it's achieved is pretty much going to be the same.
Root should never be closed source anyway, but I understand why Chainfire made supersu closed source.
The only way to keep unwanted prying eyes away.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ashyx Ad-Free
28th February 2019, 12:26 AM |#12185  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx

Phh was forked from Clockworkmod Superuser.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strephon Alkhalikoi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Strephon Alkhalikoi Ad-Free
12th March 2019, 08:39 PM |#12186  
Forum Moderator
Flag A hammock somewhere in the woods...
Thanks Meter: 1,298

More
A little bit of thread cleaning..

Rather than feed those who post like he did (though it could have been some foreign language, as Indonesian was detected by browser extensions) report it and move on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattgyver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mattgyver Ad-Free
13th March 2019, 03:49 AM |#12187  
Forum Moderator
Flag A hammock somewhere in the woods...
Thanks Meter: 1,298

More
More thread cleaning...

Keep the off-topic stuff in the Off-Topic forum. Hijacking threads, even temporarily, to complain about past moderator actions doesn't do anything but make more work for people trying to find help.

If you have issues with moderator actions, PM the mod that took said action. Find out why that choice was made, if it wasn't publicly stated why when the thread was closed. Clearly there must have been a reason for the mod to close the thread, rather than just clean it.

Keep posts on-topic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattgyver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mattgyver Ad-Free
13th March 2019, 03:29 PM |#12188  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
13th March 2019, 05:00 PM |#12189  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 29,811

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgyver

More thread cleaning...

Keep the off-topic stuff in the Off-Topic forum. Hijacking threads, even temporarily, to complain about past moderator actions doesn't do anything but make more work for people trying to find help.

If you have issues with moderator actions, PM the mod that took said action. Find out why that choice was made, if it wasn't publicly stated why when the thread was closed. Clearly there must have been a reason for the mod to close the thread, rather than just clean it.

Keep posts on-topic.

You should probably close this thread too, honestly, considering it was Chainfire's unofficial beta build thread and he's completely done with SuperSU. That will force any discussion about the corpse of SuperSU over to the official CCMT threads where it belongs.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2019, 05:51 PM |#12190  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,010

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

You should probably close this thread too,.........

I had asked @MikeChannon, @svetius & @Chainfire about a similar question regarding this topic last September.

I had suggested that the primary threads be closed but, one of the existing threads kept open and have its title changed OR create a new one, with a more unified thread title for members to have a place to discuss the SuperSU development itself.

Maybe a basic/general title like "[UNIFIED] SuperSU Discussion" or similar...

I only suggested that so members who still use SuperSU could have a place for discussing, guidance, support, etc...

I just feel that closing them all down could, potentially, result in a slew of new threads throughout the forum and keeping in mind that there's members who still use SuperSU on devices with older Android Versions and such who would feel Cut-off otherwise.

Just a little suggestion/recommendation My Friend! :thumbup:

Though I'm just a little RC...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
29th March 2019, 01:58 AM |#12191  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

I had asked @MikeChannon, @svetius & @Chainfire about a similar question regarding this topic last September.

I had suggested that the primary threads be closed but, one of the existing threads kept open and have its title changed OR create a new one, with a more unified thread title for members to have a place to discuss the SuperSU development itself.

Maybe a basic/general title like "[UNIFIED] SuperSU Discussion" or similar...

I only suggested that so members who still use SuperSU could have a place for discussing, guidance, support, etc...

I just feel that closing them all down could, potentially, result in a slew of new threads throughout the forum and keeping in mind that there's members who still use SuperSU on devices with older Android Versions and such who would feel Cut-off otherwise.

Just a little suggestion/recommendation My Friend! :thumbup:

Though I'm just a little RC...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.

I agree, this thread should stay, and SuperSU is still very useful.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tsongming For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tsongming Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)