FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

SuperSU and SafetyNet / Android Pay

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,204

By Chainfire, Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 5th September 2014, 01:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is the place to discuss anything and everything related to SuperSU and SafetyNet / Android Pay.

To clarify, I am not currently actively doing any development on having SuperSU pass SafetyNet detection, or having Android Pay work; the same way I put no effort into beating other root detection methods such as various enterprise security tools.

In case any SuperSU-rooted device passes SafetyNet, that is a bug in SafetyNet, not a feature of SuperSU.

While I may not agree with Google's stance, I'm not about to go messing with payment systems. Is it possible though? Probably yes.

This thread has been created because you guys simply cannot stop talking about this, so these posts can now go here, where I don't ever have to see them.
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]

6th October 2015, 11:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3,312

More
Will v2.50 cause Android Pay not to work in 6.0? If so, I am guessing there is no way around it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0.0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 0.0 Ad-Free
7th October 2015, 08:59 AM |#3  
Flag The Borders
Thanks Meter: 3,008

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.0

Will v2.50 cause Android Pay not to work in 6.0? If so, I am guessing there is no way around it?

Root is a no no with android pay and I think custom ROMs are also out at the moment

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bombadier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bombadier Ad-Free
11th October 2015, 10:39 PM |#4  
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,452

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Drive GT

Hey, thanks for your continued support for root on Android, was just wondering, is google making it harder to achieve decent root privileges, as in they don't want rooted devices or are they just unrelatedly changing up things which forces you guys to adapt?

On another note, is there any progress on root without the modded boot? This is by no means an ETA, just wanted to know if you think it's possible or the situation looks rather dire.

Thanks again for your many efforts!

Well, just look at Android Pay, it will not allow one to add a credit card if it detects the device is rooted. So yeah, Google definitely wants to stop root, or at least make sure there is a strong dissuasion towards same. It's not a bad thing persae, as Google is just making the devices more secure for the masses. We 'power users' are lucky to have those such as Chainfire working so hard to get us what they can.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mdamaged For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mdamaged Ad-Free
11th October 2015, 11:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,488

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged

Well, just look at Android Pay, it will not allow one to add a credit card if it detects the device is rooted. So yeah, Google definitely wants to stop root, or at least make sure there is a strong dissuasion towards same. It's not a bad thing persae, as Google is just making the devices more secure for the masses. We 'power users' are lucky to have those such as Chainfire working so hard to get us what they can.

Many banking and financial apps restrict access on rooted devices; it's not just Google.

It makes sense in some ways: root access allows running things in the background to either circumvent, monitor, or interrupt program transactions. They're being paranoid, and I don't blame them.

I don't like the Google Pay concept (or Apple's either); like every other encryption or security system, it's destined to eventually be hacked.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to androcraze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift androcraze Ad-Free
12th October 2015, 01:32 AM |#6  
Flag Southern CA
Thanks Meter: 1,666

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yep, I was able to add my debit card but not credit.

VZW LG G4
12th October 2015, 03:57 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,986

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09...ooted-devices/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drawde40599 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drawde40599 Ad-Free
14th October 2015, 03:18 PM |#8  
Flag Brno
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyskunk

Yet the Note 5 has been rooted for at least a couple of weeks

On Lollipop... And you also have to unlock your bootloader to do that, right? If yes, then you will trip the KNOX, and that mean you will loose some of your device functionality (Samsung Pay for example), without option to take it back. On the Nexus on the other hand, when you want to use Android Pay on Nexus, you can restore your phone to completely stock condition, without any trace of previously used root.

Also, all of this is completely irrelevant to carried device users, since they have a locked bootloaders.
14th October 2015, 04:12 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag IDK
Thanks Meter: 14,436

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srandista

On Lollipop... And you also have to unlock your bootloader to do that, right? If yes, then you will trip the KNOX, and that mean you will loose some of your device functionality (Samsung Pay for example), without option to take it back. On the Nexus on the other hand, when you want to use Android Pay on Nexus, you can restore your phone to completely stock condition, without any trace of previously used root.

Also, all of this is completely irrelevant to carried device users, since they have a locked bootloaders.

I believe that it's only at&t and Verizon that locks the bootloader - And none in Canada and many other Countries.

Sent From my SM-N910W8 Running SlimRemix V5.1
23rd October 2015, 12:43 AM |#10  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Had an interesting event, on 2.52.

I unchecked "Enable Superuser" in Settings, to attempt to use Android Pay (Android Pay still wouldn't work). Then, when I rechecked "Enable Superuser", the re-installation of the binary failed, and I was prompted to reboot to try again. However, then I got a boot loop (never even got the opportunity to enter my encryption code). The only way I was able to boot was to re-flash the modified boot.img and re-install SuperSU from the zip (no idea whether both steps were necessary).

I have a Marshmallow Nexus 6, encrypted. For what it's worth, I was previously rooted on 5.1.1, and, after updating to 6.0 and until I re-rooted, I always got a "Your device is corrupt" message on startup, despite being all stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYZack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NYZack Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 03:30 AM |#11  
Flag Lewiston, ID
Thanks Meter: 586

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYZack

Had an interesting event, on 2.52.

I unchecked "Enable Superuser" in Settings, to attempt to use Android Pay (Android Pay still wouldn't work). Then, when I rechecked "Enable Superuser", the re-installation of the binary failed, and I was prompted to reboot to try again. However, then I got a boot loop (never even got the opportunity to enter my encryption code). The only way I was able to boot was to re-flash the modified boot.img and re-install SuperSU from the zip (no idea whether both steps were necessary).

I have a Marshmallow Nexus 6, encrypted. For what it's worth, I was previously rooted on 5.1.1, and, after updating to 6.0 and until I re-rooted, I always got a "Your device is corrupt" message on startup, despite being all stock.

Root doesn't have to be enabled for pay to fail. Any time the system partition is modified pay will not work. There was an xda news article on it. A quick Google search involving Android pay and root should find it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)