FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

SuperSU and SafetyNet / Android Pay

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,192

By Chainfire, Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 5th September 2014, 01:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd October 2015, 03:30 AM |#11  
Flag Lewiston, ID
Thanks Meter: 586

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYZack

Had an interesting event, on 2.52.

I unchecked "Enable Superuser" in Settings, to attempt to use Android Pay (Android Pay still wouldn't work). Then, when I rechecked "Enable Superuser", the re-installation of the binary failed, and I was prompted to reboot to try again. However, then I got a boot loop (never even got the opportunity to enter my encryption code). The only way I was able to boot was to re-flash the modified boot.img and re-install SuperSU from the zip (no idea whether both steps were necessary).

I have a Marshmallow Nexus 6, encrypted. For what it's worth, I was previously rooted on 5.1.1, and, after updating to 6.0 and until I re-rooted, I always got a "Your device is corrupt" message on startup, despite being all stock.

Root doesn't have to be enabled for pay to fail. Any time the system partition is modified pay will not work. There was an xda news article on it. A quick Google search involving Android pay and root should find it.

23rd October 2015, 07:31 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrs121

Root doesn't have to be enabled for pay to fail. Any time the system partition is modified pay will not work. There was an xda news article on it. A quick Google search involving Android pay and root should find it.

I also found that having an unlocked bootloader will stop Pay working. When MM released I decided to go fully back to stock but kept the bootloader unlocked so I could flash MM. Pay still failed, so I've given up and gone rooted again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
30th October 2015, 04:46 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n

@Chainfire if you actually are able to pull off fully working stable root WITHOUT modifying the /system does that mean you MIGHT have opened the door into having root AND still being able to get OTA's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Yup, all you'd need to do is reflash stock kernel to pass the boot partition EMMC check, or, we could automate restoring the previous stock kernel, flashing the OTA and then injecting the new stock kernel with root after flashing (à la AnyKernel2 or MultiROM). So many exciting possibilities there where custom recoveries are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Honestly it's not so different from using FlashFire to flash re-flash system, then OTA, then re-root. But it is easier, yes.

This is indeed exciting. However, I noticed that @Chainfire posted this downside on Google+ :

Quote:

Andrew Morykin 12:24
This should retain Android Pay, right?

Quote:

Chainfire 12:58
+Andrew Morykin if it does, then it's by accident and not by design, and Android Pay will be updated to block it.

https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/aJbqUZ8PEP4

also, I was confused by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

- I have not tested with encrypted devices

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=63197935

Aren't

Nexus 6P / angler

Quote:

angler-mdb08k-boot-systemless.zip

and

Nexus 5X / bullhead

Quote:

bullhead-mdb08i-boot-systemless.zip

encrypted out of the box?
30th October 2015, 05:03 PM |#14  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 86,192

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline

This is indeed exciting. However, I noticed that @Chainfire posted this downside on Google+ :

How is that a downside?

It's exactly the same with every other form of root you will ever see. They don't want to support Android Pay (and some other stuff) on rooted devices. If we find a root that allows it, they will update their system to detect and block it. That cat and mouse game will not end as long as Google doesn't want Android Pay on rooted devices.

Maybe someone will make apps/modules that help circumvent this, but it certainly will not be me.

Quote:

also, I was confused by this:

Aren't

Nexus 6P / angler

and

Nexus 5X / bullhead

encrypted out of the box?

Still can't test what I don't have.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2015, 01:21 AM |#15  
Flag Seoul
Thanks Meter: 45

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlowe73

Factory images

So basically I have to go back to 100% stock using ADB, and then flash the new SuperSU stuff with any custom ROM? If so, what are the benefits of this other than getting Android Pay while rooted?
31st October 2015, 05:08 AM |#16  
Flag Dayton, OH
Thanks Meter: 116

More
I'm not sure if anyone has specifically mentioned this, but Android Pay still works with this form of root on the Nexus 6!!
31st October 2015, 06:18 AM |#17  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 25,457

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

Starting with Android 5.0, OTA updates are now block-based rather than file-based, so any modification to the system partition will cause the OTA to fail, even mounting the system partition as r/w.

Just to add to this, it's a whole-partition /system patch OTA if the device launched with Lollipop or later, anything that launched with KitKat is still receiving the old file-based patch OTAs. Modifying Settings.apk would likely trip either method for a lot of OTAs though, since it's a pretty central component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyuserx

I use Galaxy s6 G9200 HK with Kernel compiled by me, but i have problem with root 5.1.1 and i think in future too 6.0
These root method is integrated in kernel source or i can integrate with those "boot.img systemless" my selfcompiled kernel?(repack boot.img with kernel compiled by me)
Is possible to work this new root method to android 5.1.1?
I have problem with gain root when i use kernel compiled by me ( STOCK kernel have too this problem BOOTLOOPs and FREEZEs on boot system) and i don't know how slove it :/

I found on chineese forums root integrated in boot.img it working good and isn't comunicat "KERNEL is not SEandroid enforced" but when i try integrate my kernel with this boot.img error with boot system :/

Yup, it's all ramdisk changes so should be workable on any version of Android. Chainfire left instructions outlining the ramdisk changes in the WIP thread if you want to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfi

I'm not sure if anyone has specifically mentioned this, but Android Pay still works with this form of on the Nexus 6!!

Yup, seems to be the case with most banking and root-detecting apps... for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2015, 02:01 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Can someone with the non-system SU use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ynetplayground and post the results?
This app is supposed to do the SafetyNet checks cleanly, the same way Android Pay does them.
Would be interesting to see if it succeeds on devices with this new supersu version.
31st October 2015, 02:51 PM |#19  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Hacksville
Thanks Meter: 1,405

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by secguy

Can someone with the non-system SU use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ynetplayground and post the results?
This app is supposed to do the SafetyNet checks cleanly, the same way Android Pay does them.
Would be interesting to see if it succeeds on devices with this new supersu version.

Just ran it and it passed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446295884950.jpg
Views:	1780
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	3525785  
31st October 2015, 07:52 PM |#20  
Flag Alajuela
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Went ahead and installed su on a stock nexus 5, so far working well, android pay does not work but that was me being stupid and changing the host file and dpi before setting it up
I do notice a little input lag after this, not enough to even make me consider removing root, but it is noticeable, anybody else with this?
1st November 2015, 01:05 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsChiSurf

Just ran it and it passed.

thanks for that JsChiSurf, I expected it'd pass. Be sure to keep checking it from time to time, google will probably update the safetynet system to 'detect' this at some point.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)