[SUPPORT] Update failures

Search This thread

Khaon

Apr 3, 2012
Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
CFARs are stock kernels. If the stock kernel supports F2FS, then CFAR will. However, it doesn't attempt to mount F2FS. Is your /system F2FS, or...?

The file system of my system partition is ext4. Thus CFAR is working great. However it fails for example to mount /cache partition.

I think there is no advantage to run f2fs on system partition since its r/o. However, I am using it on /cache & /data partitions like most of the people running my kernel. However, I understand you want to stick with stock kernels with the sh*tload of devices you are supporting.

In case, you got interested in the future to add f2fs support, I am using this patch to all stock kernels I use to build recoveries when I need a f2fs support.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
The file system of my system partition is ext4. Thus CFAR is working great. However it fails for example to mount /cache partition.

I think there is no advantage to run f2fs on system partition since its r/o. However, I am using it on /cache & /data partitions like most of the people running my kernel. However, I understand you want to stick with stock kernels with the sh*tload of devices you are supporting.

In case, you got interested in the future to add f2fs support, I am using this patch to all stock kernels I use to build recoveries when I need a f2fs support.

CFAR will never be custom built kernels, so I will never apply any patch, as I don't compile from source *at*all*.

I can understand using F2FS on /data, but doing so on /cache is pretty much completely useless. It's not actually used for traditional cache purposes, but only for system maintenance. So you're trading 0 benefits for lots of incompatibility.

Khaon

Apr 3, 2012
Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
CFAR will never be custom built kernels, so I will never apply any patch, as I don't compile from source *at*all*.

I can understand using F2FS on /data, but doing so on /cache is pretty much completely useless. It's not actually used for traditional cache purposes, but only for system maintenance. So you're trading 0 benefits for lots of incompatibility.

Hm, that's why there is no binaries in the meta-inf but sh scripts (aming others) :p.

Indeed you are right, thank for your comment, I guess that's why Google use only data partition with f2fs on their devices supporting f2fs.

Any chance you can answer this question, with ART is there less writes than with dalvik? If yes the purpose of f2fs is less attractive.

SSyar

Apr 27, 2011
Fresh installed Android Lollipop,, unable to execute SuperSU, it popup the message,,
There is no SU binary installed..,, .,,

Nexus 7 2012 wifi
Android 5.0 LRX21P
CWM Touch 6.0.4.3
SuperSU-v2.16.zip

stickt73

Mar 15, 2014
HTC One X+ International enrc2b UK-O2
Pure AOSP 4.4.4 by Lloir, http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-x2/orig-development/pure-aosp-4-4-4-international-rom-t2924122
Download link: http://www.plsdontpwn.me/?dir=enrc2b/pure-aosp/4.4
Elite Kernel OXP http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012320
Download link: http://elite-force.eu/emoxp/oxp_elitekernel_kk_141026.zip
SuperSU v2.16 zip recovery install
Busybox v1.22.1 zip recovery install
Trying to install SuperSU via CWM 6.0.4.8, upon boot get error "There is no binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!". SU binary is in /system/xbin folder with the following properties: rwxr-xr-x, UID: 0, GID: 0. No binary updates have been performed since I am doing initial install for this ROM. SuperSU v2.16 works perfectly fine on OMNI ROM 4.4.4. Attached logs are only logs that could be compiled. Others were not found. Please help thank you.

Tim

Attachments

• recoverylog.txt
    13 KB · Views: 26
  • sulog.txt
    62.3 KB · Views: 11

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Fresh installed Android Lollipop,, unable to execute SuperSU, it popup the message,,
There is no SU binary installed..,, .,,

Nexus 7 2012 wifi
Android 5.0 LRX21P
CWM Touch 6.0.4.3
SuperSU-v2.16.zip

- Currently you need to use CFAR for Nexus 7 202 on Android 5.0
- CWM is out-dated and doesn't support all SELinux stuff, use a recent TWRP if you want support
- 2.16 is not the latest version, next time try the latest before reporting

HTC One X+ International enrc2b UK-O2
Pure AOSP 4.4.4 by Lloir, http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-x2/orig-development/pure-aosp-4-4-4-international-rom-t2924122
Download link: http://www.plsdontpwn.me/?dir=enrc2b/pure-aosp/4.4
Elite Kernel OXP http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012320
Download link: http://elite-force.eu/emoxp/oxp_elitekernel_kk_141026.zip
SuperSU v2.16 zip recovery install
Busybox v1.22.1 zip recovery install
Trying to install SuperSU via CWM 6.0.4.8, upon boot get error "There is no binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!". SU binary is in /system/xbin folder with the following properties: rwxr-xr-x, UID: 0, GID: 0. No binary updates have been performed since I am doing initial install for this ROM. SuperSU v2.16 works perfectly fine on OMNI ROM 4.4.4. Attached logs are only logs that could be compiled. Others were not found. Please help thank you.

- CWM is out-dated and doesn't support all SELinux stuff, use a recent TWRP if you want support
- It appears the su daemon is not started at boot time. Perhaps this ROM does not support starting install-recovery.sh at boot time? You can ask the (kernel) dev, but first you should update to the latest TWRP and the latest SuperSU and check again if it works.

Reactions: stickt73

SSyar

Apr 27, 2011

stickt73

Mar 15, 2014
- Currently you need to use CFAR for Nexus 7 202 on Android 5.0

- It appears the su daemon is not started at boot time. Perhaps this ROM does not support starting install-recovery.sh at boot time? You can ask the (kernel) dev, but first you should update to the latest TWRP and the latest SuperSU and check again if it works.

Thank you. I will try the latest version, switch to the latest TWRP for the HOX+ and get back to you. Will also speak with the dev as well. Thank you.

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
Just updated to my nexus 7 2013 to lollipop then rooted using CFAR. Su asked to update binary which i told it to do the normal way, 5 min later. Still nothing. Rebooted, normal way again 10 min later. Still nothing. Running lastest play store superSU

the only thing that happens is continuous popups for "... has been granted superuser permissions..."

other than that i'm now at 10 min and counting on the spinning circle and i'd rather not flash a custom recovery

** edit ** flashed TWRP 2810, SuperSU failed to reboot into recovery. Manually booting into recovery works but then i've got NO clue what to do next. as i don't see any file to flash

** edit ** wiped/reflashed stock lollipop system & recovery. Re-ran lollipop CFAR, installed 2.23 test apk. Still stuck on "busy installing ..." using the normal method. I'm completely at a loss here

so currently i've got "root" but no root. The only thing that works is aps REQUESTING root, but that's where it all ends
CF lumen, stuck on loading, cyanogenmod, can't toggle root mode, busybox stuck on "installing", Titanium Backup stuck on "Requesting root access" when opening, etc ...

So far no root tool works and binary update doesn't either

only option i see is factory reset and i'd rather not do that

Current status:

"rooted" using CF autoroot
SU Pro 2.23 installed
"stuck" on "updating binary"
TWRP 2.8.1.0 installed
NO actuall root access
flashing beta zipfile results in "no su binary can be found"

** last edit ** download CFAR a 5th time. This time it seems to have worked. During rooting i saw a line "patching kernel" which didn't appear on previous versions. SuperSU changed to 2.20, and i'll stick with that till it gets updated through play store. I got my root back so i'm happy :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-18-13-39-25.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-18-13-39-25.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 728
Last edited:

thworpitt

Nov 19, 2014
2.16 update not working on Nexus 5

Hi there,

I have a Nexus 5, just updated to 5.0 using an OTA + adb sideload. I have reinstalled TWRP and am trying to get SuperSU working again. I've flashed the update for 2.16 in recovery but every time I try and open the SuperSU app it says that the SuperSU data is missing and can't be installed. A root checker shows no root.

What should I do?

Edit: Nevermind, I found out that rooting now has to be done with CF-Autoroot, and have done that.

Last edited:

jayarremoroza

Nov 20, 2014
SU Binary installing problem

Hi good day, I'm Jay ar Remoroza, I am using a free version of Super SU. Its a great application and I really enjoy the feature of the App. But when I change the setting of the Apps, I clicked the "use a SU to another SU Apps" it was automatically reboot my phone and when its backed it requires me to install SU Binary and when i choose normal its fails and when i choose the other nothings happen. Now when i want to back to default setting, it cannot back, so what should I do? I hope you will help me. Thank you in advance.

aaron74

Nov 26, 2014
Somewhere, Ohio
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
i just rooted HTC Desire 510from thread xdaforums.com/desire-510/general/how-to-root-htc-desire-510-t2951744 with twrp and supersu2.16update. everything went fine. but just wanted to let you know when i activate pin code security. it doesnt take and reboots device with a "send debug to HTC"

LastResort3

Nov 25, 2014
keine SU-Datei

I have a GT-I9300 with Android 4.3 and rooted my device. I am a noob here. When I open Super-SU the program says that I don't have any SU-file installed and the program itself can't install it too. I have already updatet Super-SU with the Google Play Store.
Pls help me installing the latest SU-file to use SuperSU.
Tank you for your help

Last edited:

Srandista

Sep 19, 2010
Brno
I have a GT-I9300 with Android 4.3 and rooted my device. I am a noob here. When I open Super-SU the program says that I don't have any SU-file installed and the program itself can't install it too. I have already updatet Super-SU with the Google Play Store.
Tank you for your help

Did you run CF-Auto-Root for your phone before installing SuperSU from Play Store?

shawnbrennan55

Mar 24, 2014
Tank you for your help
You need the su binary file installed in the system partition and the SuperSU app to have root access. Here's a good app to let you know if you have root access.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.rootvalidator

LastResort3

Nov 25, 2014
You need the su binary file installed in the system partition and the SuperSU app to have root access. Here's a good app to let you know if you have root access.

It says I have been denied root access, but it may be possible. "I should check for updates for my SuperUser application"
superuser were both possitive and busybox negative because i haven't it installed.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Did you run CF-Auto-Root for your phone before installing SuperSU from Play Store?

Run it? What do you mean excatly with run, sorry but i am a real noob :)

Srandista

Sep 19, 2010
Brno
Run it? What do you mean excatly with run, sorry but i am a real noob :)

You can't just install SuperSU from store, and be rooted. You have to first have su binary in system. That can be inserted to the system with CF-Auto-Root.

You can find it here: http://download.chainfire.eu/229/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.zip

Run it with USB cable connected to your mobile, and after successful installation you should have rooted device.

LastResort3

Nov 25, 2014
You can't just install SuperSU from store, and be rooted. You have to first have su binary in system. That can be inserted to the system with CF-Auto-Root.

You can find it here:

Run it with USB cable connected to your mobile, and after successful installation you should have rooted device.

yeah i did this, ofc
and afterwards SU was installed and i updated it on store.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With all major changes to SuperSU, there are updates to both the GUI and binary. The GUI is the part you see on screen, the binary is what allows other apps to actually acquire root access. The first time you open SuperSU after such an update, it will attempt to update the binary to the latest version.

There are a lot of components to the binary and it needs to be set up just right for everything to work. This is a complex operation, and sometimes it fails. SuperSU is used by dozens of millions of users across hundreds of different devices, running even more different firmware revisions - any change always has the potential to break something somewhere.

SuperSU offers multiple ways of installation: in-app 'normal', in-app TWRP/CWM, and ZIP via TWRP/CWM. These all have their own strengths and weaknesses, so if one doesn't work, try the others if available.

If you are reporting an update failure, you should include at least the following information. Some information requires some skill with adb to retrieve.

- Exact device model
    This includes the brand, the model, and the carrier variant (if applicable: mostly USA, Korea, China)

- Exact firmware version
    Which exact firmware are you using? If you are using a custom firmware, please include a link to the download for this firmware. If on top of that, you are also using a custom kernel, please include a link to the download for that as well.

- Exact Android version
    Android x.y

- Exact SuperSU version
    Which version were you running, and to which version are you updating? If using Pro, do you have OTA survival mode enabled?

- Interfering apps
    There are some apps that can interfere with SuperSU installation, primarily:
    - other Superusery apps
    - Xposed
    - BusyBox (symlinked or non-symlinked)
    Include in your report if you have one or more of these installed.

- Update methods tried
    In-app 'normal', in-app via recovery, and ZIP via recovery. If you used one of the recovery options, please include exactly which version of which recovery you are using, and if it's not an official build (so a TWRP not from the TeamWin website, a CWM not from CWM's site, etc) a link to where you got it from.

Note that if you let TWRP or CWM "fix" root for you, or let them disable the firmware from flashing a new recovery (sometimes you are asked this), you have broken root, and the only way to recover it is flashing the full ZIP through recovery.

- What kind of root are you left with?
    After a failed binary update, multiple outcomes are possible:
    - Root is lost. Apps cannot get root anymore, you cannot get root using "su" from an adb shell, etc
    - Root seems to mostly still work. Most apps still work, and/or "su" still works from an adb shell
    - Nothing seems to have changed at all, even the GUI still shows the old version number
    Report what state your device is in now. Note that you can get the version of the main "su" binary by running "su -v" from a terminal emulator or adb shell.

- Logs from TWRP, when updating the binary using the TWRP/CWM button inside the SuperSU app
    After pressing the TWRP/CWM button, the device should reboot into TWRP, do it's thing for a few seconds, then reboot into Android. If SuperSU still complains about the binary, please retrieve the TWRP log file. You can retrieve it via adb pull /cache/recovery/last_log, which should produce the last_log file in your current directory. You still need at least partial root from booted Android to retrieve this log. Sadly it is wiped and replaced with a new file when you boot into recovery a second time, so you cannot retrieve it that way. Note that this log will always contain a number of errors, as the installer tries several things in several ways, that work differently on different firmwares. Attach this log file.

- Logs from TWRP, when updating SuperSU completely via ZIP
    If after you boot back into Android, SuperSU is not working right or still asks for updated binaries, reboot back into TWRP, install the ZIP again. After the ZIP is installed, you can retrieve the log file via adb pull /tmp/recovery.log, which should produce the recovery.log file in your current directory. Attach this log file.

- Logs from SuperSU (very important)
    If SuperSU keeps asking you to update the binaries after trying any which way and failing, please post the detection log. After updating has failed, don't reboot, but produce detection information via adb logcat -d | find /i "installer" > logcat.txt (Windows, use 'grep -i' instead of 'find /i' on Linux or OSX), which should produce a logcat.txt file in your current directory with several lines mentioning SuperSU. Attach this log file.

- Various logs (very important)
    Some additional handy information can be gotten by via some adb shell calls. If you that working, copy/pasting the following commands should produce a nice sulog.txt file in your current directory, which you should attach to your post:
    (as always with copy/pasting, make sure you press enter a few times afterwards to make sure the last line was flushed)

Code:
    adb shell getprop > sulog.txt
    adb shell set >> sulog.txt
    adb shell toolbox id >> sulog.txt
    adb shell busybox >> sulog.txt
    adb shell su -v >> sulog.txt
    adb shell su -V >> sulog.txt
    adb shell su -h >> sulog.txt
    adb shell su --self-test >> sulog.txt
    adb shell ls -l /system/xbin/*su* >> sulog.txt
    adb shell ls -lZ /system/xbin/*su* >> sulog.txt
    adb shell ls -lZ /system/bin/toolbox >> sulog.txt
    adb shell ls -l /system/bin >> sulog.txt
    adb shell ls -l /system/xbin >> sulog.txt
    adb shell ls -laR /su >> sulog.txt
    adb shell ps >> sulog.txt

In closing
    All this information will help diagnose the problem, and potentially help fix the issue if there is something wrong with SuperSU itself (which is not unheard of). The more information you provide, the better you can be helped. Still, be aware that often it takes a while to get a problem sorted. Even when a lot of people are having the same problem (and many problems may look the same but deep down are separate issues), it is rare to find a user who actively wants to help fix the issue. Most users will only complain but then don't really assist in solving the issue. If you can be someone who can actively help, and by that I mean being responsive to questions, being available for a live debugging session, etc, you are a rare gem indeed, and your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

If you are writing multiple posts, it is always helpful if you keep linking back to your original post with the report. Saves me time.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
    Note5 SM-N920C 6.0.1

Hi @Chainfire

The Note5 users would greatly appreciate your assistance.

• Device: Samsung Galaxy Note5 SM-N920C (international model)
    • Firmware: N920CXXU2BPB6
    • Android version: 6.0.1
    • Recovery: twrp-3.0.0-0-nobleltezt-nobleltezt.img.tar (others won't boot into recovery or fail flash)
    • Knox warranty void: 1
    • SuperSU v2.67

Device state:

1. Install TWRP
    2. Wipe: system, data, cache, dalvik-cache
    3. Flash N920CXXU2BPB6 with Odin3 v3.10.6
    4. Boot and initial setup for start-up (skip where possible).
    5. No apps installed or any other changes made except enable developer options and check:
      a) OEM unlock is enabled
      b) enable USB debugging​
    6. Reboot into DL mode & Install TWRP again
    7. Boot into TWRP
    8. Flash SuperSU v2.67
    9. recovery.log (attached)
    10. Reboot into system
    11. No root access from SuperSU app (no SU binary installed)
    12. Other logs not obtainable due to "Read-only file system"

I have also attempted to force inject su into system (2.52 & 2.67) via ramdisk modifications that had worked on my 5.1.1 kernels. No luck. I patched sepolicy and tried a few other things = no luck, but I believe we stll need a “permissive” kernel for that to work. Kernel source hasn't yet been released for me to compile. . . Is it SELinux preventing root and system mount and write ? Thing is, I can create a service from init.rc for deep sleep fix (only briefly checked though), so can write to scsi sysfs. I don't think having the N9208 recovery matters here, it appears to work OK.

For further info, you can please check my post HERE, where @dr.ketan has opened a thread and trying to help users out.

Cheer,

UITA
    SGH-T999
    2.06 can update to 2.14 but binary update never takes
    BusyBox but dont know what kind
    In-app 'normal', in-app via recovery, and ZIP via recovery after that binary update still fails normal and via TWRP v2.8.0.1
    Still have root

As stated on IRC, I'm going to need the logs described above.
    I've done a factory reset & stoll have the same problem. How would I restore data?

You would restore the data from a backup you've made before resetting ?

In SuperSU you can try 'full unroot' from Settings (twice if necessary) and unroot, see if that resolves the slowness/crashing.
    Hi Folks,

First posting here but just in case I've stumbled upon something that's been missed..

supersu (free) 2.45
    Kango (latest but doubt it matters)

For reasons unimportant here, I accidently rooted my cheapo tablet.

It appears kango wrote to /system/sbin/su whereas supersu wrote /system/xbin/su and subsequently supersu would keep wanting to update 'su' then fail.

The long and the short of it is once I manually removed /system/sbin/su supersu stopped telling me 'su' was outdated. I don't know android but I do know linux.

$PATH on my tablet has /system/sbin/ prior to /system/xbin/ so it would appear supersu is issuing 'su -V' as opposed to '/system/xbin/su -V' when it checks the version. The kingo 'su' was older than the supersu 'su'.

Dunno what the solution is 'cos the older 'su' is going to get called first & I figure there's nothing but trouble to be gained from changing $PATH globally. Nevertheless it might be enough to check $PATH for unwanted 'su' and flag them, possibly offer to remove them? In my case I renamed it "/system/sbin/su.ORIGINAL" so that it's still runnable in an emergency.

Cheers!