huawei ascend G6 root method!

130 posts
Thanks Meter: 77

By washichi, Senior Member on 5th July 2014, 02:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
hi everyone,

In this post I've made a list of, most used, working root methods.
To unroot: use SuperSU and simply press "unroot"
This post will be updated!
You will also find all the updates about G6 development on our facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/328261053999820

This post isn't longer up to date! Latest news, questions, and root tutorials:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/328261053999820/

note:
there are a few versions of the Huawei Ascend G6 (G6-U10, G6-U00 etc.)
So I cant test these and other root methods on all the versions.
request our own XDA sub forum here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1660354

Working root methods, sorted descending, best one first:

RootGenius
Download
How to & bugs:

follow this guide to root
note: after rooting you can replace KingUser with your favourite superuser acces manager, recommend SuperSU
  • Working on the following models: G6-U00, G6-U10, G6-L11
  • Easy to use
  • You need a Windows pc to run RootGenius, or use a virtualbox in another OS

If RootGenius can't connect with your phone try to use an other version of RootGenius

Bugs:

Towelroot
Download
How to & bugs:

note: after rooting you need to install a superuser acces manager, I recommend SuperSU as first choice.
  • Working on the following models: G6-U00, G6-U10*, G6-L11
  • Easy to use
  • You don't need a pc to install towelroot

Bugs:
- On the G6-U10 you can't read&write your memory after you reboot. It seems to be a problem with the SU.
permanent fix:
Root your phone with towelroot and unstall SU and update you binary. Don't reboot!
Connect your rooted device with your PC and re-root it with RootGenius. RootGenius will sucessfully reroot your device and push
Kinguser to your device.
- If you remove Kinguser your memory r&w problem will popup!
easy temporary solution:
Root your phone with towelroot and install a SU, but don't reboot, if you reboot you will get the bug.
If you have the bug: unroot your phone with superSU, reboot, and use my temporary solution.

Vroot
Download
How to & bugs:

note: after rooting you can replace 授权管理 with your favourite superuser acces manager, I recommend SuperSU
  • Working on the following models: G6-U00, G6-L11
  • Easy to use
  • You need a Windows pc to run Vroot, or use a virtualbox in another OS

Bugs:

Kingo
Download
How to & bugs:

note: after rooting you can replace KingUser with your favourite superuser acces manager, I recommend SuperSU
  • Working on the following models: G6-U00, G6-L11
  • Easy to use
  • You need a Windows pc to run Kingo, or use a virtualbox in another OS

Bugs:

If you want to want to report a bug, or a working root method, please leave a comment, including your phone model!(G6-***)

special thanks to:
GeoHot
Chainfire
Mihir Patkar
zhuhang
xBeerdroiDx
Denny Luu
https://www.facebook.com/groups/328261053999820
https://www.facebook.com/HuaweiAscendG6
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to washichi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift washichi Ad-Free
25th July 2014, 09:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks for starting this Huawei Ascend G6 thread.

My specs:

Model G6-U10 (3G version)
Build # (last few digits) C900B117

As far as rooting goes, yup, I had same SD card problem after rooting with Towel Root. So unrooted it. And then used Root Genius 1.9.6 which works perfectly. No SD card problems and can RW with Root Explorer no problem. I already disabled the hardware volume keys (edited the keypad .kl files) so I know the root is working as it should. And I have no problem navigating all around the storage(s) unlike after rooting with Towel. So I would say it is a complete full root. Have had no problems with rooted apps so far: AdAway, Root Explorer & Titanium Backup.

Only problem I am having with this phone is the auto-brightness feature. I thought my first G6 had a defective hardware light sensor which controls the auto brightness so I exchanged it out for another new one but the second new one also has this same problem. Basically the problem is that the screen will go full bright (over-sensitive light sensor) even with only very dim lamp light in a dark room. Thinking perhaps the problem lies with the firmware I have been trying out various autobrightness apps that use their own algorithms such Lux Auto Brightness and Brightness Manager. Both these apps will display the current lux (lx, brightness level) that the phone is currently experiencing. Normally it will be about 10lx in a dim room. But with the dim lamp on in a dim room and if the phone even catches even a tiny bit of the dim lamp face on, the lx will jump all the way up to 10,240(!) which is the same as being outside in full sunlight. So of course the stupid phone thinks it is outside and so the screen goes FULL BRIGHT even though you are in a dim room with only a little bit of lamp light. Very ****ty if you ask me.

Otherwise the phone is pretty sweet. I was looking at the P6 last year and it was just a tad too big (5" screen), 4.6" is as big as I want to go and as big a phone as I want to carry around. So the G6's 4.5" screen and thin design makes it quite nice. And the price is cheap(er), I got it for 9,000 pesos (around $200 U.S.) in the philippines. So far I can't complain about the 8mp rear or 5mp front cameras of the G6. But to get widescreen pics with the G6 you will have to set your camera app (I use Snap Camera) to 6mp rear and 4mp front. Otherwise you will get squarish pics if you use the highest 8/5mp settings.

Oh one thing I noticed is the stock app "Phone Manager" which runs all the time is quite devilish so I froze it with Titanium Backup. Basically it would stop all currently running apps when the phone was in sleep mode (screen off). Seems it's battery saving attempts are quite high and I couldn't find any settings to make it stop doing that. So I just froze the darn thing and now all my running apps (Gravity Screen etc) keep running even in sleep. The other features of Phone Manager I don't think are needed anyway.

I will update this thread if I run into any new problems or anything noteworthy of the G6. Cheers
25th July 2014, 11:37 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxoxo

Thanks for starting this Huawei Ascend G6 thread.

My specs:

Model G6-U10 (3G version)
Build # (last few digits) C900B117

I will try rootgenius when my phone is back from repair at Huawei.
I will also test the auto brightness feature, but in normal use I'm not using it because it drains your battery.

Feel free to join our facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/328261053999820/
28th July 2014, 12:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxoxo

Only problem I am having with this phone is the auto-brightness feature. I thought my first G6 had a defective hardware light sensor which controls the auto brightness so I exchanged it out for another new one but the second new one also has this same problem. Basically the problem is that the screen will go full bright (over-sensitive light sensor) even with only very dim lamp light in a dark room. Thinking perhaps the problem lies with the firmware I have been trying out various autobrightness apps that use their own algorithms such Lux Auto Brightness and Brightness Manager. Both these apps will display the current lux (lx, brightness level) that the phone is currently experiencing. Normally it will be about 10lx in a dim room. But with the dim lamp on in a dim room and if the phone even catches even a tiny bit of the dim lamp face on, the lx will jump all the way up to 10,240(!) which is the same as being outside in full sunlight. So of course the stupid phone thinks it is outside and so the screen goes FULL BRIGHT even though you are in a dim room with only a little bit of lamp light. Very ****ty if you ask me.

Okay, I guess I need to revise these statements. I had came to the Huawei after having a Sony Xperia M which had very smooth autobrightness. So while yes, the Huawei G6 may have a touch oversensitive auto-adjust brightness when compared to the Sony, it sure is heeps better than the other phones I have tried in the meantime since I wrote the above. So I am unsure as to whether to label it as a problem or not since it sure is better than other phones but not as good as the Sony. Perhaps I am just nitpicking.

But since the Huawei autobrightness does bother me I have since started using an app called "Brightness Slider" by a Korean developer. The free version works great with only unobtrusive occasional ads within the app itself. Can easily select the screen brightness, can easily select auto brightness on/off and even goes below 0. Have noticed no probs with it.

Now I am just waiting on a black hard case, shipped from China today through ebay
13th September 2014, 06:25 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Before of rooted i dont connect to network
I use the app rootgenius and root after being not connect me to the network data. My cellphone is a Huawei Ascend G6-U251

Help me

Thanks
18th October 2014, 08:43 PM |#6  
Flag Constanta
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Please help me
I updated my phone with b136 g6-u10 and i lost notification panel and themes !!! PLease help me..
23rd October 2014, 07:51 AM |#7  

More
Unit: G6-L22

RootGenius: Root OK.!

Lost Data access over mobile network after rooting
recovered Data Access after unrooting
28th October 2014, 09:11 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello,
i have used root Genius to root my G6-10U.
Everithing worked fine for a while. But now i cant install or update Apps.
I always getting the message that there is no more space, but there is enought.
I have 400 MB free on internal and 8 GB on SD.
I have used cache cleaner and the huawei tool for cleaning the phone, but still the same problem.
I have downgraded the play store, with no result.
Can someone give me a hint?
5th November 2014, 11:52 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Query
Do all those rooting methods leave the bootloader Locked as it seems to have happened with my G6-U10 after rooting it with Kingo?
I first tried to unroot it with RootGenius with no success than I used Towellroot that blocked my internal memory and after having removed the root with SuperSu I finally rooted it successfully with Kingo.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to jmfurtado For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jmfurtado Ad-Free
8th November 2014, 01:30 PM |#10  
Flag Zaragoza, Spain
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Thumbs up
I thought I`d successfully rooted my G6-L11 with Kingo and installing SuperSu afterwards, but Titanium Backup did not worked propperly, even the pro versión, telling that there was not enough space for Apps backup. (wich was impossible though).

Finally I rooted again with "KingRoot" and everything works fine so far. I did not even remove the previous root. I uninstalled SuperSu manually and kept "KingUser" as super user App.

I hope this could be useful for someone.

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to Rasec2002 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rasec2002 Ad-Free
rufwilson
21st November 2014, 01:37 PM |#11  

More
Unhappy
I have a Huawei G6-U00. The only software that can root it properly is KingoRoot. However, I don't have access to internal storage after rooting without root access...

I unrooted until the problem is fixed.

To unroot the telephone and have it working again: root it and then unroot it with KingoRoot.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, ascend, huawei, root, towelroot

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)