Thinking about upgrading android os

Search This thread
I have the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 MT2L03
Build number is currently MT2-L03C00B322
Android 5.1
EMUI 3.1

I don't have it rooted, and have never flashed anything to it.
Everything running on it is stock, which I don't mind. But I was thinking it'd be nice to step up to android 7.0 or so.
I have read around some and see that a dev SHM is working on it?
Also my bootloader is still locked, but I found out how to get the unlock code.
Just wondering... should I bother with upgrading to something newer, rooting it and all that? Or is 5.1 still fine?

42o247

Nov 10, 2010
the closest youll get is a cm 13.1 nightly or snapshot. i think its worth the switch.

divineBliss

Oct 4, 2014
I'm using SHMs CandySix 6.0.1 and it was definitely worth it for me to unlock and root to use custom ROMs.

Since you have never flashed before, allow lots of time to read the instructions and don't be in a hurry when you do it.

ScoobSTi

Nov 23, 2012
NYC
Check out the HAM2 index (link in my signature). Should be very helpful. The only problem is I don't know what the latest method is for getting the bootloader unlock code. Can you tell me what it is now so I can update the index and the starter pack?

As for SHM's 7.0, he's not working on it anymore. However our phone is officially supported by CyanogenMod, so I think we'll be getting CM14? Not sure though.

Latest bootloader unlock method from Huawei Website

Check out the HAM2 index (link in my signature). Should be very helpful. The only problem is I don't know what the latest method is for getting the bootloader unlock code. Can you tell me what it is now so I can update the index and the starter pack?

As for SHM's 7.0, he's not working on it anymore. However our phone is officially supported by CyanogenMod, so I think we'll be getting CM14? Not sure though.

I made a post in another topic, maybe this will help you!? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69309478&postcount=463

Forgive me, but what android version is cm 13.1 nightly or snapshot or CandySix running? I currently use android 5.1, and everything is stock.
I don't mind the EMUI interface. I also don't have any application that I'm wishing to uninstall.
I want to upgrade to a newer version because I feel maybe it'd be faster? But I have just also considered getting the LG G5, or maybe the pixel?
So would using a newer android version make my phone faster? I know the HAM2 only has 2gb of ram, and for internal storage it says I have total: 11.69gb but 2.94gb free. But that's not bad considering the amount of apps I have. I also have a 32gb microsd card.
If I flashed a different android version would I still have the radio and the EMUI? Sorry if my terminology is off, still new :D

AMTtoo

Dec 26, 2016
Security is the key?

I have the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 MT2L03
Build number is currently MT2-L03C00B322
Android 5.1
EMUI 3.1

I don't have it rooted, and have never flashed anything to it.
Everything running on it is stock, which I don't mind. But I was thinking it'd be nice to step up to android 7.0 or so.
I have read around some and see that a dev SHM is working on it?
Also my bootloader is still locked, but I found out how to get the unlock code.
Just wondering... should I bother with upgrading to something newer, rooting it and all that? Or is 5.1 still fine?

I use the HAM2 as a mini tablet/media player now to save battery life on my Nexus 6p. Currently on Android 5.1 with EMUI 3.1 and have just unlocked the bootlock and now seeking to figure out how to proceed with rooting and flashing to CM 14 or later. My concern is with all the security holes on 5.1 Official version from Huawei since it has known security holes and is not getting moved forward or patched. While I like the features on the 6P and the improved security the battery life sucks compared to the HAM2 (true for most phones).

I will watch this thread and will keep searching for tips to make this first round of rooting and flashing to CM on my own a learning experience. I would strongly recommend anyone on older versions of Android seek to get more current due to the massive security issues. Hate leaving behind old equipment that I can keep in some use with rooting and upgrading on the software.

AMTtoo

Dec 26, 2016
Unlocked bootlocker, HiSuite and ADB present, can't load twrp

To the OP, you can try out CM14.1 now thanks to mdmower.

As for learning how to root and flash, check out the HAM2 index thread for some useful goodies and the starter pack I made. They should be helpful. If not, you can ask us of course.

Thanks for the great information package ScoobSTi.
Have HAM2 MT2L03 with Android 5.1 stock, EMUI 3.1, attempting to root then flash from a Windows 10 PC. Bootlocker unlocked, HiSuite 5.0.1.300_OVE and ADB loaded and appear to be working as both phone and SD card files are accessible from PC. Have placed TWRP version in the ADB folder and renamed to TWRP.img, placed SuperSu_v2.79....... in root of SD card.
Getting no devices listed when run adb devices from ADB on pc although drivers show good in device manager and files on device are accessible.. When run c:\adb>fastboot flash recovery c:/adb/twrp.img get response error: cannot load 'c:/adb/twrp.img' after I reboot HAM2 into recovery.
What am I missing?
Have reviewed many threads and posts and am too dim to get what I am doing wrong. :confused::confused:

hopkins31

Dec 31, 2010
Need to turn off phone and go to bootloader the cmds won't reboot the phone,it needs to manually put in too bootloader and then run the cmds

Sent from my Ascend Mate 2 using Tapatalk

AMTtoo

Dec 26, 2016
Fastboot looking for HiSuite only

Need to turn off phone and go to bootloader the cmds won't reboot the phone,it needs to manually put in too bootloader and then run the cmds

Sent from my Ascend Mate 2 using Tapatalk

When I manually reboot into recovery the HAM2 goes into Fastboot & Rescue Mode but does not root with TWRP as noted. The HAM2 Fastboot screen does show the device as "PHONE: Unlocked". New here so cannot post a pic of the boot screen or screenshots of the adb responses in the command prompt. Issue seems to be with the HAM2 not showing up on the adb devices listing.