[Q] [SOLVED] Can't turn on Auto-sync for WhatsApp and other apps

Search This thread

landox123

Aug 6, 2015
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I am looking for some help with my Huawei Ascend P6, it has a ROM from XDA installed on it for a while now (don't remember which particular one) and I really don't want to get a new ROM as it would mean all my whatsapp messages will delete.

The problem is that I cannot turn on Auto-sync and I think this is the cause of me not receiving my whatsapp messages unless I manually open the app.

I have tried going to my data settings as suggested by a bit of googling but there is no Auto-sync options. I have tried everything in the settings and I just can't seem to figure it out.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

yS28Fw3.jpg

ZBczNhg.jpg

VRVOFbY.jpg

Nothing in the Mobile network settings:
jRZ06m4.jpg

RcnORj8.jpg

iZdQZKE.jpg

Twitter: Sync data is grayed out, cannot enable:
i5Omy0n.jpg

system:
sKfwbta.jpg

Last edited:

landox123

Aug 6, 2015
SOLUTION!
It’s been a few days since my OP and there has been no replies. I have decided to post the solution as it may help someone and it’ll give some use to all my screenshots.
I came across a prompt to turn on android auto-sync in the Gmail app, after clicking the prompt it took me back to the account settings BUT this time the ON/OFF sliders miraculously appeared for the auto-sync options allowing me to enable auto sync. These sliders were literally non-existent before this.

Gmail prompt:
VGPj8hx.jpg

Auto-sync sliders (you can compare this with the screenshots in OP):
ZCVxL6L.jpg

EVPmnNU.jpg

It was an annoying problem with an obscure solution but it’s ON now. I am not sure if my Whatsapp messages will arrive on time as I haven’t had the time to test it but it should be OK.
Not buying a Huawei phone again.

miz_pimp

Mar 23, 2012
LG V40
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
The problem was that you turned off the global auto-sync function on your device. In the shortcuts panel you'll find the auto-sync icon, which you must have turned off by mistake.

freggel2

Aug 15, 2009
I know it's an old thread but I still want to say BIG THANKS to you @landox123 .

My wife has the Huawei P10 and this "problem" was also on her phone. But thanks to you it's solved now.

geeky.ali

Dec 18, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but I was facing the same issue, and couldn't find the auto sync options anywhere obvious.
For me, on my p10, you have to go to settings>accounts
Tap the three dot menu in the top righ corner, there's you'll find the auto sync option. Though I'll doubt it will help with WhatsApp messaging, as I believe Huawei tends to close background app more aggressively than stock android, which may be the cause of the issue.

bodwyn

Feb 23, 2016
Thanks, @landox123

Thanks for coming back and answering the question (you posted).
I went into Gmail Settings and it was ticked.
I un-ticked and ticked for good measure.
Went into phone Settings > Accounts > Google and
now they are all blue and ticked instead of greyed out.
Thank you :)
P10 Lite
@miz_pimp, I used to have a P8 Lite and it had an auto-sync toggle icon in the Shortcuts at top of screen, but now there's no icon for auto-sync.
On the other hand, someone who finds my phone no longer has to get past the lock screen to disable data, wifi, etc, rendering Find My Device and calling my own number pointless :(

Last edited:

landox123

Aug 6, 2015
It's been over 2 years since my original post, I somehow came across a email notification. I'm glad it helped at least one person and thrilled it helped many! Makes me happy to know, keep commenting please!

I have since moved on from my Huawei Ascend P6 for more issues that I have forgotten about. I bought the LG G4 after that, had an amazing camera but it bootlooped/died 2weeks outside of warranty. Now I am on a refurbished Samsung S7 edge, I guess you have to pay the premium for reliability.

bunty.rathod

Dec 28, 2017
You can also add Power Control widget. This widget has option to trun on and off Auto Sync.

Last edited:

patrickfree

Mar 9, 2014
I've only had my Huawei MediaPad M5 for a week and it's been great, but somehow someway auto-sync got f'd up where it was greyed out like you mentioned.. thanks to your tip I went straight into Gmail and bingo, just like you said :) thanks a million :good:

narendravidja

Jan 13, 2019
I'm not able to sync google contact.
I got mediapad M5 Chinese version week ago. All google app working fine just stuck with google contact. Tried all above tips but not working

tekenn

Jan 14, 2019
Thanks

I went to Gmail settings and solved the grey option of automatic sync ....now its all working thanx

smlie4

Jan 30, 2010
Wow this was annoying. Went all over my phone like you and followed same guides. Your Gmail fix did it for me Huawei Mate 9 EMUI 9.1.0.252

Rushir

Oct 6, 2019
Thanks a lot man. I have Huawei Mate 20 Pro and just couldn't tick my auto sync and couldn't find solution online until I read your thread. It was a very simple solution but invaluable. Thanks again for your post.
Regards
Rushir India

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION!
    It’s been a few days since my OP and there has been no replies. I have decided to post the solution as it may help someone and it’ll give some use to all my screenshots.
    I came across a prompt to turn on android auto-sync in the Gmail app, after clicking the prompt it took me back to the account settings BUT this time the ON/OFF sliders miraculously appeared for the auto-sync options allowing me to enable auto sync. These sliders were literally non-existent before this.

Gmail prompt:
    VGPj8hx.jpg

Auto-sync sliders (you can compare this with the screenshots in OP):
    ZCVxL6L.jpg

EVPmnNU.jpg

It was an annoying problem with an obscure solution but it’s ON now. I am not sure if my Whatsapp messages will arrive on time as I haven’t had the time to test it but it should be OK.
    Not buying a Huawei phone again.
    Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I am looking for some help with my Huawei Ascend P6, it has a ROM from XDA installed on it for a while now (don't remember which particular one) and I really don't want to get a new ROM as it would mean all my whatsapp messages will delete.

The problem is that I cannot turn on Auto-sync and I think this is the cause of me not receiving my whatsapp messages unless I manually open the app.

I have tried going to my data settings as suggested by a bit of googling but there is no Auto-sync options. I have tried everything in the settings and I just can't seem to figure it out.
    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

yS28Fw3.jpg

ZBczNhg.jpg

VRVOFbY.jpg

Nothing in the Mobile network settings:
    jRZ06m4.jpg

RcnORj8.jpg

iZdQZKE.jpg

Twitter: Sync data is grayed out, cannot enable:
    i5Omy0n.jpg

system:
    sKfwbta.jpg
    Thank you landox!!

Very much! Almost threw my phone to toilet.