Google Camera On Zenfone Max Pro Tested!

Search This thread

AVinaSh_S

Nov 30, 2017
please elaborate why its not working without camera2api. what do you mean.
edited ..

after a while i read about hal3 enable, camera2api, i get to a conclusion, whats the use of them really affect the way we take a picture ? or it could make the result better ? i really dont give a **** if its there or not. but i appreciate every works here especially in our device thread.

anyway, here what i found. sadly to say.

Basically camera2api enables advance features which are used by apps like Google Camera , Modded Gcam etc which enables these apps to have more finer control.

The support for camera2api is at 4 levels - Legacy < Limited < Full < Level 3.
As out-of-box camera2api is not enabled in Asus Zenfone Max Pro, we have the implementation level as Legacy.
But with that also Google Camera produces great results as shown by OP.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

I have tried everything but Google camera stopped working

Check if camera2api is enabled or not.

Do the below,
  1. Get this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grarak.kerneladiutor&hl=en_IN
  2. Give root access.
  3. You have a menu on left side --> select Build prop editor under tools.
  4. Search for "persist.camera.HAL3.enabled" and change it to 1 and save.

Then,
  1. Go to settings
  2. Apps and notifications
  3. Select google camera
  4. Permissions
  5. Enable all permissions
  6. Go back and Force Stop
  7. Open camera again.

Akashnaresh

May 20, 2018
Basically camera2api enables advance features which are used by apps like Google Camera , Modded Gcam etc which enables these apps to have more finer control.

The support for camera2api is at 4 levels - Legacy < Limited < Full < Level 3.
As out-of-box camera2api is not enabled in Asus Zenfone Max Pro, we have the implementation level as Legacy.
But with that also Google Camera produces great results as shown by OP.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Check if camera2api is enabled or not.

Do the below,
Get this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grarak.kerneladiutor&hl=en_IN
Give root access.
You have a menu on left side --> select Build prop editor under tools.
Search for "persist.camera.HAL3.enabled" and change it to 1 and save.

Then,
Go to settings
Apps and notifications
Select google camera
Permissions
Enable all permissions
Go back and Force Stop
Open camera again.
Yes it is enable still it's not working

AnmolB

Dec 17, 2017
Can I directly install ota updates after doing all this rooting process and installing Google camera

nrp31

Sep 15, 2012
Can I directly install ota updates after doing all this rooting process and installing Google camera

I'm not sure. Apparently the OTA updates should work with RedWolf Recovery but it didn't work for me. Worst case scenario, you have to download the update file from Asus and flash it via recovery which is not that difficult

Reactions: AVinaSh_S

Desmanto

Apr 2, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
please elaborate why its not working without camera2api. what do you mean.
edited ..

after a while i read about hal3 enable, camera2api, i get to a conclusion, whats the use of them really affect the way we take a picture ? or it could make the result better ? i really dont give a **** if its there or not. but i appreciate every works here especially in our device thread.

anyway, here what i found. sadly to say.
Google introduce Camera2 API in Lollipop, kinda as a way to standardize manual camera setting. Before this, many OEM implement their own solution and create so many fragmentation across devices. Enabling C2A usually enable fine tune of all kind of manual setting, including shutter speed, exposure, RAW capture and many more. Most new camera sensors already support this in the camera library (not all are stable though).

But sadly so many OEM disable it in their ROM, maybe for product segmentation. ProM1 was focused to be "limitless gaming". Enabling C2A by default will probably make Zenfone 5 less attractive. That's why you have to enabled it by yourself, and that requires UBL and at least TWRP/root.
Yes it is enable still it's not working
Which apk do you try? the one from the youtube video? https://goo.gl/qbaewX
If you edit build.prop directly (modify the file), then no OTA until you flash a clean stock system image back. (i don't know if re-edit back the value will allow OTA again) To be safe, you can just use magisk root to enable it by using persist.prop. This will not touch the /system , thus OTA safe.

ashjas

Feb 26, 2011
I am using google camera on unrooted Mi A1.
The point is that its possible to get google camera without root, but one necessary step is bootloader unlock is necessary:
This post by @AridaneAM tells the story.

The difference b/w A1 and M1 for the above steps is that A1's bootloader supports unlocking/relocking without data wipe, while M1 does not.(Otherwise i would not have asked someone's help here..)
So the above method ensures all stock ROM with official updates from xiaomi, and with google camera on my A1

The point of this post is, can anyone who has already unlocked bootloader try the above method and report back, if the camera2 api still works even after a bootloader relock on Asus M1?
If so, i can go ahead for once a time headache of setting up my phone due to data wipe.
I am not willing to root this phone, so if anyone can confirm if this solution is working for google camera without root and with all OTA updates that would be great!
Thanks very much.

rochmad7

Oct 23, 2016
My gcam portrait mode of rear camera doesn't work, even my front camera portrait mode works perfectly. It seems that while I took portrait mode It just save only one photo instead 2 photos normal photo & bokeh photo.
How can I fix this?

arnold991

Mar 5, 2014
Hello everyone, I recently unlocked the bootloader of my Asus Zenfone Max Pro and installed Magisk to root the phone.

Hi, kindly tell us, with recent May 25 update, where you able to update phone with root but locked bootloader? Or it requires again formatting the phone?

In youtube video of yours you told you haven't tested it? Kindly let us know. Thanks

Last edited:

AVinaSh_S

Nov 30, 2017
@nrp31 could you be able to make a guide on how to flash stock ROM if you are coming from custom rom like lineage / AEX etc.
I know you already have created a video guide for bootloader relock from Stock ROM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peSI-KeEt5E

It will be of great help if you can guide us on the process to do this from Custom ROM as well.

YuZaGa

Sep 10, 2016

rexd26

Jun 15, 2018
Kerala
Hello everyone, I recently unlocked the bootloader of my Asus Zenfone Max Pro and installed Magisk to root the phone. All of this was done for just thing - Trying out the Google Camera as I do feel that the Stock Camera app is pathetic and that's the major reason why the Zenfone Max is not performing that great. For Google Camera to work, After you have rooted your phone, download this app called 'build.prop editor'. After it is downloaded search for 'persist.camera.HAL3.enabled' The value would be 0 by default, Change it to 1 and then reboot your phone. Now install the Google Camera apk(Whichever you feel like, I'm attaching the one that I keep using) and you're good to go. Everything including HDR+, Front And Back portrait Mode, Video Stabilisation works.
Here is the complete video review along with Comparisons with the Redmi Note 5 Pro On Google Camera.

HI Bro, after enabling persist.camera.HAL3.enabled = 1 google camera works great on my device but stock cameras[its turn black when open].
Any idea? i'm on stock+twrp+magisk with 14.2016.1804.305.
Thanks in advance.

abdul@99

Jun 27, 2015
Can anybody please tell wether the stock canera app works after enabling the camera2api and will we be able to use 3rd party camera apps such as retrica or all such apps ????:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, I recently unlocked the bootloader of my Asus Zenfone Max Pro and installed Magisk to root the phone. All of this was done for just thing - Trying out the Google Camera as I do feel that the Stock Camera app is pathetic and that's the major reason why the Zenfone Max is not performing that great. For Google Camera to work, After you have rooted your phone, download this app called 'build.prop editor'. After it is downloaded search for 'persist.camera.HAL3.enabled' The value would be 0 by default, Change it to 1 and then reboot your phone. Now install the Google Camera apk(Whichever you feel like, I'm attaching the one that I keep using) and you're good to go. Everything including HDR+, Front And Back portrait Mode, Video Stabilisation works.
    Here is the complete video review along with Comparisons with the Redmi Note 5 Pro On Google Camera.

I am using google camera on unrooted Mi A1.
    The point is that its possible to get google camera without root, but one necessary step is bootloader unlock is necessary:
    This post by @AridaneAM tells the story.

The difference b/w A1 and M1 for the above steps is that A1's bootloader supports unlocking/relocking without data wipe, while M1 does not.(Otherwise i would not have asked someone's help here..)
    So the above method ensures all stock ROM with official updates from xiaomi, and with google camera on my A1

The point of this post is, can anyone who has already unlocked bootloader try the above method and report back, if the camera2 api still works even after a bootloader relock on Asus M1?
    If so, i can go ahead for once a time headache of setting up my phone due to data wipe.
    I am not willing to root this phone, so if anyone can confirm if this solution is working for google camera without root and with all OTA updates that would be great!
    Thanks very much.
    Wow man that looks far better!
    Can you upload a video
    Can you post some pics from front cam? Is there any noticeable improvement over stock cam??

It is much much better with Google Camera.

Here is a full video comparison with stock vs Google Camera as well as with the Redmi Note 5 Pro(On Google Camera)

GCam not working

I'm having the 6 GB variant and I tried the port from https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-arnova8G2/#apk411

My experiences:

1. Processing is slow
    2. Crashes often
    3. Only in certain conditions the quality is better

Someone please guide me to the right port. :angel: