FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Update LG G6 AT&T H871 to Android 8

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By kristian, Junior Member on 3rd January 2019, 07:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone! i have a LG H871 ATT&T unlocked, I am living outside the US and I want to update the OS, it's running Android 7, But when i click update now it's says the Current software is up to date. the device is unlocked, what I can do?
LG Bridge doesn't work. It says it cant check my software version.
Anyone here have a solution?

Thank you in advance!

13th January 2019, 03:01 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I've spent hours researching this and have only found one solution. You have to buy an ATT go phone prepaid SIM card for $2 and install it. Get a "Pay by the minute" plan (it won't let you checkout without selecting the plan, but you don't have to use it).

Once you get the SIM, don't activate it. You can simply install it and then check for updates over wifi. The G6 makes you wait 24 hours between each time you check for updates. You can either just wait until the next day or set system clock to a later date manually.

I've done this twice now to keep it updated. It's embarrassing that in 2018 LG can't push their own OTA updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trillexer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Trillexer Ad-Free
14th January 2019, 08:26 AM |#3  
Flag Tokyo
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillexer

I've spent hours researching this and have only found one solution. You have to buy an ATT go phone prepaid SIM card for $2 and install it. Get a "Pay by the minute" plan (it won't let you checkout without selecting the plan, but you don't have to use it).

Once you get the SIM, don't activate it. You can simply install it and then check for updates over wifi. The G6 makes you wait 24 hours between each time you check for updates. You can either just wait until the next day or set system clock to a later date manually.

I've done this twice now to keep it updated. It's embarrassing that in 2018 LG can't push their own OTA updates.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience. I've been in the same situation and not had a chance to test this, so I'm sticking to original Nougat. I'll order ATT sim card and try.
2nd May 2019, 05:58 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Awesome thanks for the advice! Question, do you live outside the US? I'm wondering if this will work for people outside the US.
3rd May 2019, 11:13 PM |#5  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So I ordered a free SIM card from AT&T and tried the changing the date trick to trigger an update and SUCCESS it detected an update! Unfortunately though that's as far as I get.
Once the download is complete it goes through the whole Android is updating thing, reboots, but still shows as running Android 7 and that there is an update pending. If you attempt it again it seems like it has to download it all over again.
Has anyone else experienced something similar?
10th May 2019, 03:52 PM |#6  

More
Work outside AT&T coverage?
Quote:

Does this method work If I am not from USA so No AT&T coverage?
14th August 2019, 05:17 AM |#7  

More
I tried the trick ordered a the Sim and popped it in went to update found no update so assuming I actually have to purchase the cheapest plan to get on their Network even tried putting in the go Daily plan or whatever it was still didn't work said it wasn't available in my area and I'm in Los Angeles lol doesn't make any sense.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)