[TOOL] [MultiSystem] MultiROM and Recovery Replacement for Android

Search This thread

talkingmonkeys

Inactive Recognized RC / RT
May 15, 2013
This needs some work before I let it mess up my phone anymore. I have to do a factory reset every time I swap between slots even using the exact same version of the same rom just to get on the other slot to flash an updated version I'm trying to test. Now I get a new one of it hanging at the custom padlock and not even booting into multisystem and I didn't do anything different from the last time I rebooted.

More of my time wasted because of the holes in this. Great job making this but I don't suggest anyone to use it until a lot more is added to it and the bugs are worked out. Mainly system data NOT being shared because it only causes problems. Thank you @hsbadr and I hope to try this again sometime but right now its frustrated me and wasted so much of my time that I don't suggest anybody use it. I understand how everything works with it but it just doesn't work how it should.

Reactions: psykotick

cmerlyn

Aug 17, 2011
Rohnert Park
The only issue I have had with MS is when I reboot the phone and forget to press a button. If I just allow it to reboot, it hangs. Pulling battery and then rebooting again and pressing either the home button or volume up will get it booting with no trouble.
Haven't upgraded to the newer version yet, wasn't sure if I could just install the apk or if I would have to flash a zip file again.

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
The issue ive had on both 1.3 and 1.3.1 is that i can load a virtual rom, but once i load in to it i need to factory reset to be able to load back in to stock, which makes it pretty inconvenient.

Sent from my Twi5ted SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ryan0720

Dec 23, 2014
Im running twisted on virtual and allince on stock with no prob but i cant get it to open second slot...and the data share thing is kinda of annoying but other than that its nice to be able to switch back and forth without wiping everything...

chronicaust

Sep 8, 2013
Moulton
After about 5 hours I finally got MultiSystem up and running. I'm installing my first virtual slot right now (Optimizing apps). I copied my stock rom and put it on a different slot. I used @hsbadr tip of modifying the updater script, which was literally just replacing one line of code. Flashed using FlashFire and so far it looks like it's going to work. I'm excited!!!

I did see in the QA that you said it couldn't work with a KK rom. But honestly I think you could make it work, though it would be tricky and dangerous. But couldn't you do something like this?
BTW please no one try this it's just a theory lol.

1. Boot into a virtual slot (on lollipop)
2. Use FF to flash a KK rom to that slot.
3. Boot back into stock.
4. Use FF to flash the KitKat Kernel (forcing a reboot).
5. Boot into the KK Rom.

In my mind I think that would work, any thoughts? Of course you would have to reboot by flashing a Lollipop kernel (or if your phone random reboots for any reason) you'll have to odin the Lollipop kernel.

It's definitely a double edged sword.

AllianceRom just booted! Yayyy!! Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Btw I'm having the same issue switching between roms. Hangs at boot animation.

hsbadr

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 18, 2014
After about 5 hours I finally got MultiSystem up and running. I'm installing my first virtual slot right now (Optimizing apps). I copied my stock rom and put it on a different slot. I used @hsbadr tip of modifying the updater script, which was literally just replacing one line of code. Flashed using FlashFire and so far it looks like it's going to work. I'm excited!!!

I did see in the QA that you said it couldn't work with a KK rom. But honestly I think you could make it work, though it would be tricky and dangerous. But couldn't you do something like this?
BTW please no one try this it's just a theory lol.

1. Boot into a virtual slot (on lollipop)
2. Use FF to flash a KK rom to that slot.
3. Boot back into stock.
4. Use FF to flash the KitKat Kernel (forcing a reboot).
5. Boot into the KK Rom.

In my mind I think that would work, any thoughts? Of course you would have to reboot by flashing a Lollipop kernel (or if your phone random reboots for any reason) you'll have to odin the Lollipop kernel.

It's definitely a double edged sword.

AllianceRom just booted! Yayyy!! Thanks again!

Btw I'm having the same issue switching between roms. Hangs at boot animation.

You'll have to wip system data before switching; I'll add a feature to store each ROM data in a sparate location. For multiple OS versions (e.g., KK & LP), it should work, but you've to flash a compatible kernel before switching. This won't be an issue for unlocked devices by implementing kexec to automatically execute the required kernel for each ROM on boot.

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
You'll have to wip system data before switching; I'll add a feature to store each ROM data in a sparate location. For multiple OS versions (e.g., KK & LP), it should work, but you've to flash a compatible kernel before switching. This won't be an issue for unlocked devices by implementing kexec to automatically execute the required kernel for each ROM on boot.
Having to essentially do a factory reset ever time you want to switch is kind of counterintuitive, youre pretty much just reflashing the rom every time you switch.

hsbadr

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 18, 2014
Having to essentially do a factory reset ever time you want to switch is kind of counterintuitive, youre pretty much just reflashing the rom every time you switch.

You don't have to factory reset! Only system data should be removed b/c each ROM may include differnt mods for the same APK (hence, system data conflicts). This won't be an issue if you're copying the ROM in the stock system to a virtual IMG. Anyway, eparating the data for each ROM will make it easier, but will also use more space.

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
You don't have to factory reset! Only system data should be removed b/c each ROM may include differnt mods for the same APK (hence, system data conflicts). This won't be an issue if you're copying the ROM in the stock system to a virtual IMG. Anyway, eparating the data for each ROM will make it easier, but will also use more space.
I dont see much issue with taking more space, I think it should be an option or something to separate them or keep it sperate.

chronicaust

Sep 8, 2013
Moulton
So what you're saying is, we need to wipe cache/dalvik before switching roms?

You say "system data" but that could mean many things.

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
So what you're saying is, we need to wipe cache/dalvik before switching roms?

You say "system data" but that could mean many things.
Ive actually got it working now, i backed up my current system as an image and have that loaded as primary so i can have it as recovery, that works fine with no wiping required. You can wipe system data in flashfire, it means one thing, wipe system data, system data is an actual thing, and you'll need to do it before bokting in to a slot running a different rom/rom versionsl.
c9da1cb64c02388778af704d9ed6db7f.jpg

Reactions: chronicaust

chronicaust

Sep 8, 2013
Moulton
Ive actually got it working now, i backed up my current system as an image and have that loaded as primary so i can have it as recovery, that works fine with no wiping required. You can wipe system data in flashfire, it means one thing, wipe system data, system data is an actual thing, and you'll need to do it before bokting in to a slot running a different rom/rom versionsl.

Dude thank you so much!! =D

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
Is it possible to make it so you can have your virtual slots active but still have it boot to stock by default? It's a tiny bit annoying having to spam the home button every boot, i can get over it though now that we essentially have a working recovery :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

MultiSystem is a powerful tool for locked- and unlocked-bootloader Android devices.

★ Disclaimer:
    This service is FREE of charge, use it at your own risk, take it or leave it !

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED AS IS AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

MultiSystem is a powerful tool and can perform potentially dangerous and/or destructive operations on your device and data that may affect your life. While it is unlikely to do irreversable damage to your device, it is not impossible, and you should proceed with caution. Loss of data and/or the need to re-flash a full stock (manufacturer-supplied) firmware IMGs (usually requiring a computer) is always a possibility, and is increasingly likely if you do not know what you are doing. It is possible to lose root access when using MultiSystem on locked-bootloader devices running unexpoitable (bu rooted) Android firmware, without careful reading of documentation or following the instructions. Please consult with expert users before performing actions you do not comprehend.
    ★ Notes:
    To devs: Please do not use/port MultiSystem to any other device. If you'd like to add support for your device, please contact me!

To users: This thread is only for DEVELOPMENT. If you need a place for general discussions, go to MultiSystem Q&A thread.
    ★ Features:

• Keeps stock system partition safe/rooted
    • Permenant root survival with proper use
    • MultiROM support via virtual ROMs
    • Unlimited number of virtual ROMs
    • Booting options to choose stock, primary, or secondary virtual ROM
    • Any of the virtual ROMs can work as a recovery replacement
    • Flashing multiple ROMs at the same time without a reboot
    • Ability to create/install ROMs on Linux to microSD card
    • Great performance & battery life on virtual ROMs
    • Recovery solution to install ROMs or Mods
    • Easy upgrade to newer versions of Android
    • Ability to safely apply OTA updates to virtual system
    • Permissive SELinux and other kernel tweaks
    • Safe flashing that doesn't trip KNOX flag on Samsung devices
    • Wrapper script runs via ADB or a Terminal Emulator on device
    • APK to manage all MultiSystem functions with a nice UI and extra options
    • Management for the best performance & user experience
    • Support for all Android devices with microSD card
    • Portability to almost all devices
    • Compatibility with all Android versions
    ★ ChangeLog:
    ★ Instructions:
    ★ Downloads:
    ★ Credits:
    Please PM me if I forgot to add proper credits for your work!

I'd like to thank everyone who made a donation just to show appreciation.
    • It's fine to just click Thanks! or enjoy my work without saying anything.
    • A donation is to show appreciation of the work I have done already.
    • A donation is not by any means in expectation of future work.
    • A donation doesn't entitle for preferred/private support/requests.
    • A donation is meant as a gift - always appreciated, never required.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910V), Note 3 (N900V) & LG G3 (VS985)

Hit thanks, follow thread & add 5-star rating/review... Donations are always appreciated!

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiSystem, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5

Contributors
    hsbadr
    Source Code: https://github.com/hsbadr/MultiSystem

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.3.1
    Stable Release Date: 2015-05-09
    Current Beta Version: 1.1.1
    Beta Release Date: 2015-05-02

Created 2015-05-06
    Last Updated 2015-05-10
    MultiSystem Video Tutorial

Thanks To: @Tomsgt , aka RootJunky ;)

Don't forget to subscribe & like the video to show appreciation of his great effort & time spent in making the video :highfive::good:
    Supported Devices

Samsung Devices​

Samsung Galaxy Note 3​
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Verizon Variant [Retail Edition]
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Verizon Variant [Developer Edition]
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - T-Mobile Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Sprint Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - International Variant

Samsung Galaxy Note 4​
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Verizon Variant [Retail Edition] (ROOT Required!)
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Verizon Variant [Developer Edition]
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Verizon Varian [Retail Edition] (ROOT Required!)
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - AT&T Variant (ROOT Required!)
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - T-Mobile Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Sprint Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - International Variant

Samsung Galaxy S4​
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 - Verizon Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 - AT&T Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 - T-Mobile Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 - Sprint Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 - International Variant

Samsung Galaxy S5​
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 - Verizon Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 - AT&T Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 - T-Mobile Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 - Sprint Variant
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 - International Variant

LG Devices​
    LG G3​
    • LG G3 VS985 - Verizon Variant (Under Testing + more features utilizing Bump!)
    +++
    MultiSystem v1.3.1 [May 9, 2015]

ChangeLog:
    • Simple one-click installation
    • Added log for installallation
    • Fixed LED indicator for Note 4
    Ok backed up everything from my sdcard. Since its a 64 GB and it only actually has 59.62 GB I partitioned a 44 gb FAT32 Primary partition for my things and a 15.62 GB EXT4 Primary Partition for multisystem, roms and backups. Which could even be too much but it could make it easier for me to test multiple roms I'm working on so I'll go with that.

I left TMS5 1.0 that I'm running as my main system. After fixing my sd card up and putting it back in my device I installed the multisystem.apk and installed multisystem. Flashed the multisystem.zip in flashfire and upon reboot the green light came on and selinux is set to permissive. Next was Create Virtual IMG. I did this and waited for the red led indicator to go away then set it as my primary virtual system image. Rebooted and clicked volume up as the green led indicator was up and it rebooted into the virtual rom I just made. I made sure by running the terminal command listed in the Q&A to see which one is mounted and it was loop0 as he said.

Great work man. Now time for the fun to begin! Thanks for this. About to test the new version of my rom and see if it works good with this.

Note to other users DO NOT FLASH TMS5 1.0 or AllianceROM that are in our forum. They point to the main system. I'll have to update the updater-scripts for these. I'll get to it soon enough. If you already are on this read the Q&A and make the adjustments yourself if you think you can or ask me and I will.