Rooted Galaxy S5 Active (AT&T) in Bootloop - How can i flash a custom rom?

Search This thread

skreee

Apr 19, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and new to all of this, so please forgive my ineptness and general cluelessness.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active (AT&T version) model SM-G870A. It was running 5.1.1 but was rooted. It also had debugging checked.

I was getting really irritated with all the bloatware that was installed by Samsung and AT&T because I hated opening my apps drawer and having to wade through panel after panel of useless apps. Not only this, but they ate up far too much of the space and resources on my device. And, just out of principal, the phone belongs to me. I paid cash for it, I don't have any kind of contract with AT&T, so why should they force me to have all their useless junk on my phone?

At first, I would have been happy just debloating it. So I used Dr.Fone to root it, and then I attempted to get rid of all the unwanted apps using Debloater by Gatesjunior. Long story short, I've now managed to get my phone into bootloop. Since then I've tried the different solutions recommended on XDA and nothing has worked so far for me.

At this point, I'd prefer just to be able to flash a custom rom for my phone, but honestly, if I can't do this I would be happy just to go back to where I was before this whole ordeal started... me with a functioning phone (albeit, full of useless bloatware). It would be horrible to admit defeat to AT&T, but I just want a working phone now :(

Any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:

skreee

Apr 19, 2017
Bump.

Nobody? The post has gotten 59 views so far. I mean, I know it's not a hot new model S8, but can nobody point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate it as this is the only phone I have, I like it despite all the bloatware it had, and I can't afford another. Or is it only worth throwing in the bottom of some drawer to collect dust?

Thanks.

skreee

Apr 19, 2017
111 views now and still no suggestions or advice. Seems there are loads of helpful people replying to other requests for help. I'm not sure what's different about this.

pinheaD420

Oct 27, 2010
Read read read .... There is currently NO root method for the active this is stated over and over on this forum . You should be able to use Odin and flash a stock non rooted firmware ....again there are several posts and threads explaining this in detail ....good luck .... Do some searching and reading before making posts whining about no one helping you ....

Last edited:

skreee

Apr 19, 2017
I did read read read as you say. I did lots of searching, lots of reading, and tried lots of the suggestions (including flashing factory firmware with Odin) and nothing's worked. I also said in my original post that I'm not a phone enthusiast, I don't know anything about this stuff. I thought the point to the site was that there were advanced users and developers who wouldn't mind helping out the clueless. But no, everything I've read is quite cryptic in its terminology as to be basically opaque to most but it's spoke of in a way that's clearly meant for an audience with a similar knowledge base. I mean, I just wanted all the extra crap off my phone, I wasn't hoping to hack it into The Superphone, I got in over my head, and I realize I should have just left it alone. Don't open a watch unless your job is fixing watches. I understand that this is a site supported mostly by niche enthusiasts. Phones are your fun (which I don't get, but to each their own, mine is cameras and bicycles, so I understand having a passion other people don't get) but to most people phones are just something they have. If you're knowledgeable about this stuff, then I get why you might not understand why it's confusing to people like me.

In short, thanks for nothing.

P.S. - It IS rootable. I rooted mine. It is rooted right now. It's rootable using Dr.Phone. I mentioned this, so why don't you read? I could go on and on about the lame traits of users of niche interest sites (including photographers and cyclists, they can be so irritating) one being that of false authority... but why bother when I'll just receive another boring snide response (another lame trait of some enthusiasts which they seem to get no end of satisfaction from "Umm, there's this thing called the search function... duh".)

skreee

Apr 19, 2017
Yeah, that's about what I expected. Thanks for proving my point. Enjoy your lame hobby.