[How-To] Root G900A_OA1 - 4.4.4 (2/3/2015)

3,257 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,006

By muniz_ri, Senior Member on 4th February 2015, 12:26 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
**Make certain that your reactivation lock in security settings is off before beginning this process**

1. Take the OA1 OTA update.
2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key) and flash the G900A_ND3_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
4. Open the Towelroot app from your app drawer and press "Make it Rain" to root your device.
5. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again and flash the G900A_OA1_Stock_Kernel also using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
6. Install SuperSU to manage root access. Done!

Changelog: http://www.att.com/esupport/article....uestid=1642069

Troubleshooting:
1. Should the OA1 ota update fail consider returning to factory stock NCE (all User Data will be lost) by flashing the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+) then taking the OTA updates to OA1. Or, place the G900A_NCE_to_NG3_OTA.zip and G900A_NG3_to_OA1_OTA.zip onto your ext-sdcard and sideload from stock recovery starting with the G900A_NCE_to_NG3_OTA.zip. Once updated to OA1 continue from Step 2 above.
2. When flashing the kernel the most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure!

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your User Data or Knox Warranty Flag.
2. After flashing the ND3 kernel your phone will run a little wonky and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the OA1 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!

Alternative Safestrap Method:
1. Place the G900A_OA1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM onto your ext-sdcard.
2. From Safestrap recovery press "Backup" and backup your User Data.
3. From the main menu press "Wipe" then perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. Next, press "Install," then select and install the G900A_OA1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.
5. Once complete, press "Restore" and restore your User Data.
6. Last, from the main menu press "Reboot," then "System." Done!

After following the above process your phone will pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 2 minutes before rebooting.

Optional - Enable Native Tethering AddOn:
1. Place the G900A_OA1_TetherAddOn.zip onto your external sd-card.
2. From Safestrap recovery flash the file using "Stock" Slot but do not wipe!
3. Reboot. Done!

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your User Data or Knox Warranty Flag.
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to OA1 (BusyBox is also pre-installed).
3. The User Data "Backup" and "Restore" steps in the instructions are not mandatory but will greatly reduce your device's set-up time. All currently installed non-system apps and settings will be automatically restored.

Credits:
benwaffle - for his flashboot script allowing flashing of the OA1 kernel(built into the ROM) in Safestrap.
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muniz_ri Ad-Free
4th February 2015, 12:38 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Awsome
4th February 2015, 12:45 AM |#3  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 2,931

More
Can someone post OTA . cfg file please.
The Following User Says Thank You to norbarb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift norbarb Ad-Free
4th February 2015, 12:49 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,006

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbarb

Can someone post OTA . cfg file please.

G900A_NG3_to_OA1_OTA.zip
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muniz_ri Ad-Free
4th February 2015, 12:51 AM |#5  

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

G900A_NG3_to_OA1_OTA.zip

Thank You
4th February 2015, 01:42 PM |#6  
Flag Laporte, IN
Thanks Meter: 884

Donate to Me
More
Does the NG3 OTA update zip break root?
4th February 2015, 02:16 PM |#7  
Flag Long Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Currently my phone is on NG3, Rooted with wannam xposed installed. Also I have frozen multiple apps. Is there a way to remove Root and cleanup so the new OTA installs without errors?
4th February 2015, 07:25 PM |#9  
Flag ATL
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

G900A_NG3_to_OA1_OTA.zip

Just a warning to others, this OTA caused my wife's S5 to have the data partition erased. That really ticked her off, she still pissed cause it lose a lot of her data. I thought it was like an ordinary OTA and didn't erase data. I dropped it on the SD card, didn't backup any of her internal storage data, and booted into recovery and applied the update via external storage. It ran for about 15mins and one of the last lines on the screen said "Formatting /data....." Not sure why it did that. Didn't see it anywhere in the update-script inside.

I should've learned my lesson from another S3 experience like that a year or so ago, caused the phone to somehow lose all data, should backed up everything ahead of time.

Dixit
4th February 2015, 09:58 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixit

Just a warning to others, this OTA caused my wife's S5 to have the data partition erased. That really ticked her off, she still pissed cause it lose a lot of her data. I thought it was like an ordinary OTA and didn't erase data. I dropped it on the SD card, didn't backup any of her internal storage data, and booted into recovery and applied the update via external storage. It ran for about 15mins and one of the last lines on the screen said "Formatting /data....." Not sure why it did that. Didn't see it anywhere in the update-script inside.

I should've learned my lesson from another S3 experience like that a year or so ago, caused the phone to somehow lose all data, should backed up everything ahead of time.

Dixit

This happen if you load from SD-CARDS. If you push true ADB sideload will not erase data.

Clicking from notecable N910A
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norbarb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift norbarb Ad-Free
4th February 2015, 10:43 PM |#11  
Flag ATL
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbarb

This happen if you load from SD-CARDS. If you push true ADB sideload will not erase data.

Clicking from notecable N910A

Damn. I had no clue. Now I know. That explains why a few times on adb sideload is never did it. Thanks for the clarification.

Dixit
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread