FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Considering the root method, are you interested?

Yes

13 Vote(s)
100.00%
No

0 Vote(s)
0%

[ROOT] AT&T S6 (g920a/g925a) 5.1.1 - Tethered Root v4

444 posts
Thanks Meter: 247

Post Reply Email Thread
I have successfully rooted 5.1.1 but with a snag, since we cannot unlock the bootloader and flash an unsigned kernel I am unable to completely and fully have a painless root process available. However... the process that I did work on does work it just requires that each reboot you have to manually set selinux to permissive via adb in order to get your phone to boot. So I am opening this thread to ask considering the method.

Make sure you read this post fully!

Builds currently confirmed working:
Code:
OJ7
OJ9
Important: Once you flash OJ7 or any part of it, you will no longer be able to flash back to a previous build, this includes the files needed to root.

As mentioned above, this method is simple but has a caveat, once you root your phone you'll need a script or run a command each time you reboot or turn on your phone. This can be a pain if your phone battery dies while on the Go or if your phone randomly reboots and you do not have a laptop or desktop on hand or nearby. So know what you are getting into before you perform this root method. With that said, onto the goods...

This is a Combined root method from SamFirm and myself. I also need to give credit to those who provided me with some of the files that got this whole thing started and those who continue on this effort:
@shichemt
@Apexseal
@elesbb
@designgears
Thanks!

Prerequisites:
  1. Samsung Drivers
  2. Developer mode turned on
First, reboot your phone into Download Mode:
Power off your phone or reboot, hold Vol+Down, Power and Home

Once you are in download mode, load up Odin (Odin3 v3.10.7.exe) and do the following:

In the 'images' directory, you will have 1 file->
  1. G{920,925}A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1_SamFirm.NET.tar.md5 (Place in the AP slot)
Once you have the file added into Odin, press start and wait until the phone boots up completely. (Again, make sure Developer Mode is on!)
Next pretty simple, run the root-Install.sh (linux) or root-Install.cmd (windows).
Follow the prompts and enjoy root on your SM-G{920,925}A!

Secondly, you will always from here on out need to use the root-Boot.sh (linux) or root-boot.cmd (windows) to boot your phone up. Without it... you'll be stuck in a boot loop with Selinux Enforced. This script will make your phone boot as Selinux Permissive.

Here are the steps for OJ9:

Using the same steps as above to Flash the downgraded system partition and once the phone is fully booted up, make sure Developer mode is on and then run the root-Install.{cmd,sh} script. I have provided a separate download link for this as well, so again if you are on OJ9, you need to flash the separate package specific to your build.

Process Order::
  1. AP_G920AUCU3BOJ7+G{920,925}A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1.tar (Place in the AP slot)
  2. Run root-Install.{cmd,sh} from g{920,925}a-5.1.1-root~metalcated-v{4,1}.zip
BE AWARE, I cannot guarantee the safety of your data, BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! - but this should work without wiping your data.

Another Important Note: The Samsung drivers for Windows have issues with this process or maybe its just Windows being Windows! - I have found out that if you get stuck and adb is not responding after the root process is complete and you are either stuck at the AT&T screen or have a black screen waiting for adb to come back up, remove the driver (shown in the screenshot and then scan for hardware changes. This will refresh the driver and force adb to respond again.

Downloads

G920A
Root Files:
g920a-5.1.1-root~metalcated-v4.zip
OJ9 - AP_G920AUCU3BOJ7+G920A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1.tar

Pre-Rooted FlashFire System Images:
g920a-5.1.1-rooted-debloated~metalcated.zip

OJ7 User Binary - Restore:
G920AUCU3BOJ7_User_Binary.rar

G925A
Root Files:
g925a-5.1.1-root~metalcated-v1.zip
OJ9 - AP_G925AUCU3BOJ7+G925A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1.tar.zip

Pre-Rooted FlashFire System Images:
I don't yet have a debloated image for the g925a

OJ7 User Binary - Restore:
G925AUCU3BOJ7_User_Binary.zip

To use the Pre-Rooted FlashFire image, extract the zip to your sdcard into the Flashfire directory and then perform a restore with FlashFire.

Beware, you are flashing these files at your own risk. Don't come yelling at me if it messes anything up! Make backups of you data before flashing anything, you have been warned!

This process can be painful to get working, but if all you want is a debloated ROM, root your phone then install Flashfire and flash the system image posted above and you will have your deboated ROM. You can then remove root using the SuperSU app and your phone will boot cleanly from here on out with no bloat. Of course its up to you what you want to do. - I know one of the testers said this is what he was going to do.

Anyone can use these files to make a better process if its one so desires, all I ask is that you provide credit for the source like I have done above in this post as to where I obtained these files to assist me in getting this process working. If you want to help, please PM me and we can chat about making this process better.

I am still working towards a hack to try and force selinux to be permissive at kernel load without having an unlocked BL, not sure if it will work, but I am trying to make it so. Will keep you all posted on progress.

Install Xposed? Confirmed working! http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...lipop-t3180960

Enjoy!
~metalcated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457714116076.jpg
Views:	12434
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3679774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160311_201842.jpg
Views:	12346
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	3679789   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-12_20-02-25.png
Views:	11944
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	3680952  
The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to metalcated For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift metalcated Ad-Free
12th March 2016, 12:52 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 305

More
Pic of supersu working?
12th March 2016, 12:57 AM |#3  
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 95

Donate to Me
More
Does it trip Knox or any of that mumbo jumbo? If we test it how do we go back if we don't want to reroot every time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
12th March 2016, 01:41 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDColeslaw

Does it trip Knox or any of that mumbo jumbo? If we test it how do we go back if we don't want to reroot every time?

See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160311_203849.jpg
Views:	8488
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	3679800  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to metalcated For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift metalcated Ad-Free
12th March 2016, 03:33 AM |#5  
Flag Memphis

Donate to Me
More
Nice! So if we flash this and want to revert back to stock I assume Odin would be the only way. If so does that mean loss of all your data?

12th March 2016, 03:41 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Can you show us how to do this ? Thank you!
12th March 2016, 03:48 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Nice! So if we flash this and want to revert back to stock I assume Odin would be the only way. If so does that mean loss of all your data?

Honestly I would say a clean removal of SuperSU through the SuperSU App should work. Although I have not tried this yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. However if it does not, yes flash back to using Odin would be needed and a total loss of data would be in order, so as always... backup, backup!
The Following User Says Thank You to metalcated For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift metalcated Ad-Free
12th March 2016, 03:56 AM |#8  
Flag Memphis

Donate to Me
More
Interesting. I wonder if you could use this to develop some sort of script like the safestrap recovery on the S4? Maybe one that runs the root commands on boot from a file on the phone instead of adb.

The Following User Says Thank You to PMDColeslaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PMDColeslaw Ad-Free
12th March 2016, 04:03 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Interesting. I wonder if you could use this to develop some sort of script like the safestrap recovery on the S4? Maybe one that runs the root commands on boot from a file on the phone instead of adb.

I welcome it to anyone willing to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalcated For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift metalcated Ad-Free
12th March 2016, 04:16 AM |#10  
Flag Memphis

Donate to Me
More
It's out of my wheelhouse unfortunately, but it seems like a possibility. Hopefully someone else can give it a shot. Are you able to debloat with the root you have so far?

12th March 2016, 04:22 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It's out of my wheelhouse unfortunately, but it seems like a possibility. Hopefully someone else can give it a shot. Are you able to debloat with the root you have so far?

I created a system img that is flashable via FlashFire, I will zip it up and upload to AFH.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalcated For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift metalcated Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)