Flashing unbranded firmware -- does anyone have VOLTE working?

Search This thread

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
Yeah I have a few cables including the stock one I can try.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Not sure if it's using the stock cable, different port or the HOME CSC instead of CSC but it's flashing the G950U1 Unlocked FW now. Weird...

Reactions: inneyeseakay

billa

Mar 30, 2006
Dumb question but this will wipe your data right?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Depends which CSC package you use.

The HOME one will NOT wipe your user data.
--update_package=CACHE:recovery/sec_omc.zip·--carry_out=csc_home·--wipe_cache·--amazon_link·--delete_apn_changes·--hwr_symlink

While the Non-HOME ones WILL wipe your user data.
--update_package=CACHE:recovery/sec_omc.zip·--carry_out=csc_factory·--data_resizing·--amazon_link·--delete_apn_changes·--hwr_symlink·--omc_binary_download

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California

--update_package=CACHE:recovery/sec_omc.zip·--carry_out=csc_home·--wipe_cache·--amazon_link·--delete_apn_changes·--hwr_symlink

--update_package=CACHE:recovery/sec_omc.zip·--carry_out=csc_factory·--data_resizing·--amazon_link·--delete_apn_changes·--hwr_symlink·--omc_binary_download

Thanks! I finally had the time to update my cricket phone to the unlocked firmware and can now use the Hotspot. Lost VoLTE, but it's worth it. Flashed HOME and my data was intact, although i did back it up just in case :)

gundam212

Aug 13, 2017
EUREKA!!
This worked... ended up with XAA/ATT/***

...but after factory reset from settings menu, it went to ATT/ATT/***. So the encrypted userdata is keeping it from updating the CSC section.

Tried it again (skipping a few steps)...

1) flashed G950W (XAC) w/CSC (not HOME)
2) setup with encrypted data (require pin on reboot)
3) flashed G950U w/HOME_CSC

4) PROFIT!! -- Ended up with XAA/ATT/*** -- VoLTE works! No bloat! No AT&T-spec status bar icons!

Okay so I am a bit confused, I totally get the part of flashing the G950W (XAC) firmware with CSC (not HOME), then setting up the encrypted data via the password.

3rd part is confusing, the download I have for the G950U (ATT) firmware does not include a HOME_CSC file. So am I supposed to be using the HOME_CSC file for the G950W firmware? Can you provide a bit more detail into how you did this specifically for att?

ericsting

Dec 12, 2010
So my wife got a US unlocked S8 from best buy on black Friday special. We are on att and i found out the video calling doesn't work along with wifi calling VOLTE and advanced messaging (RCS) with the unlocked phone (and unbranded).

1. will doing this get video calling or VOLTE to work? (these are the main 2 features she wants)
2. I have dealt with Odin and flashing before but that was (and still is) with a galaxy s3 some of the terms used seem new? (read i need a little more help) also i have odin v3.12.3 is this the version i should use or is there a new one.
3. where can i get the correct files to flash

Thank you in advanced for any help / guidance you can provide and forgive me if these things have been answered already buy i've read about 30 out of the 76 pages of the other forum thread and could not figure out if i was on the right track or not.

Edit: should i follow this post/guide?

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/snap-guide-flashing-standard-fw-carrier-t3625817

Last edited:

maquino1985

Nov 28, 2017
So my wife got a US unlocked S8 from best buy on black Friday special. We are on att and i found out the video calling doesn't work along with wifi calling VOLTE and advanced messaging (RCS) with the unlocked phone (and unbranded).

1. will doing this get video calling or VOLTE to work? (these are the main 2 features she wants)
2. I have dealt with Odin and flashing before but that was (and still is) with a galaxy s3 some of the terms used seem new? (read i need a little more help) also i have odin v3.12.3 is this the version i should use or is there a new one.
3. where can i get the correct files to flash

Thank you in advanced for any help / guidance you can provide and forgive me if these things have been answered already buy i've read about 30 out of the 76 pages of the other forum thread and could not figure out if i was on the right track or not.

Edit: should i follow this post/guide?

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/snap-guide-flashing-standard-fw-carrier-t3625817

I'm going to try this right now and will let you know what happens. If it doesn't work I'm returning this damn phone to amazon (just bought an unlocked S8 on black friday special) and sadly going back to my sweet sweet iphone prison

edit: I followed the instructions from that page you linked and it seems to have worked, I now have wi-fi calling and all the great at&t bloatware that everyone complains about. Visual voicemail still doesn't work it seems. Feels kind of sad, but I needed this if I wanted to use the gear 3 frontier LTE that I just bought, apparently. God damn ATT.

I'll update if anything changes.

Last edited:

maquino1985

Nov 28, 2017
If you flash att fw, and don't update your imei it will work, but once att logs the unlocked imei, you lose it all.
Are you sure? Do they log my IMEI regularly? So ridiculous that it's fine being unlocked on iPhone but even when you go through the hoops of getting it to work on Samsung they would still sabotage you. If that's really going to happen I guess I'll have a Samsung for 10 days and then a lot of returns and wasted money on postage to go through.

It's honestly false advertising they say it works on supported devices they don't say it has to be a device they sold minus a few exceptions....

twizt3d

Mar 7, 2008
United States
I doubt they would force change your imei. What I meant was what happened to me. I went from an att s7 (g930a) to an unlocked s8 (g950u1). I flashed the unlocked fw for the g950u which self brands itself then the oreo beta. (I forget the exact link, Google "oreo beta galaxy s8 any snapdragon xda") and everything is fine except for ims registration. Upon further research there is no fix for this without "telling att you are using a branded device that supports those features." In my case it's a company issued device. So when I reached out to my IT dept, they were unable to swap me back to the s7 due to a company related technical issue. Not att related. If I take the sim from my personal phone (s8 active) and put it in my s8 with oreo and reboot, everything works fine and ims registers. So as long as you don't change the imei from your previous branded phone to the unlocked phone you should be fine.

ericsting

Dec 12, 2010
Thanks for the replies we have not told att about the new phone yet so i assume we should be good there it's just a matter of if they update that automatically or something. I will be going through the steps i linked to as well and follow up with results.

ericsting

Dec 12, 2010
So far everything appears to be correct i can't fully test it out because we went to best buy to try and swap the unlocked phone for a branded phone only to find out that the branded phone was not part of the sale and would cost $200. anyway after that we took back the boxed up unlocked phone but they left out the sim card tool so now i can't swap the sim card from her S6 to the S8. however it appears that her "advanced messages" RCS transferred from the old phone to the new which were not transferring last time and there is now an option for wi-fi calling and for video calling. Obviously i wont be able to actually test anything until we get the sim card moved.

Edit: I got the sim card moved and results below

Video calling - working
advanced messaging (RCS) - working
VOLTE - NOT working ( used data and made sure icon said 4G-LTE I made a phone call icon switched to just 4G my att branded note 5 that i called said 4G-LTE during the call) if there is a better way to test this let me know.
wifi calling - NOT working ("oops! we can't turn on wi-fi calling for your account. Think this message is a mistake? Ask the person who can make account changes to call us. The number is 800.331.0500 (EDSooo8)")

Anyone know how to fix the VOLTE and WI-FI calling? It's not that important to my wife she mostly wanted the 2 things that are working, but it would be nice to get these working as well.

Last edited:

neowolfx

Nov 30, 2010
This can fix the problem of my thendering disable?

EUREKA!!

...but after factory reset from settings menu, it went to ATT/ATT/***. So the encrypted userdata is keeping it from updating the CSC section.

4) PROFIT!! -- Ended up with XAA/ATT/*** -- VoLTE works! No bloat! No AT&T-spec status bar icons!

I have a s8 sm-g950u i get the tethering disabled this can enable it?

ericsting

Dec 12, 2010
voice calling stopped working so i'll have to call att and see if they can provision the phone or do something on there end to get it to work. i took it into an ATT store and they couldn't get it to work either she told me to call customer service.

maquino1985

Nov 28, 2017
EUREKA!!

Can you explain this post its very difficult to decipher. why did you flash two firmware versions? Doesn't a firmware flash totally wipe the device?

Whats the W fw variant? VZW? Step 1, Are you saying that you flashed an unlocked device to the vzw firmware? In step 2, is that a setting from odin? Step 3, you then immediately flash back to 950u, but 950u is the carrier locked fw. ??? Do you mean 950u1?

Man, so confusing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interesting. Here are the exact steps I took to recreate XAA/VZW/VZW on my SO's S8:

1) New vzw S8, didn't set it up, just skipped all steps.
    2) Activated dev mode and used "adb reboot bootloader" to go into download mode
    3) Flashed XAC firmware with non HOME_CSC
    4) Set up phone normally; however, for security I only enabled pin + require pin on reboot. Enabled dev options again
    5) Used adb reboot bootloader to get into download mode and flashed HOME_CSC only
    6) Restarted and used *#2263# to get into the band selection menu, tapped enable all bands and hit apply
    7) adb reboot bootloader and flashed VZW firmware, but used HOME_CSC for the csc file.
    8) It takes about 3-4 minutes to reboot after entering pin for decryption

That resulted in the S8 being XAA/VZW/VZW with everything working properly

EUREKA!!

Dumb question but this will wipe your data right?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How do you look up those codes?

Keith

Settings > About > Service Provider SW Ver.
    EUREKA!!

Sweet thanks finally figured it out.
    Which G950U version did you final flash? Or was it G950U1?

Not u1, any carrier g950u will work... Most recently flashed Verizon AQF7

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk