marshmallow on AT&T M8 to match software from my Desire 530?

Search This thread

Damagj

Sep 9, 2017
Phoenix
I have an M8 from AT&T. I am using simple mobile as my carrier, which makes certain things not work like software update, TV remote, & mobile hotspot. It currently is running 5.0.2. I want to update to a very specific version of marshmallow that I had running on my HTC desire 530, branded with metropcs crap all over it. The reason I want to do this is bc on that desire 530, it had the ability to play YouTube audio after you open a new tab, app, or manually time out your screen. I want that functionality to be on my M8. I'm not sure which part of the software is responsible for that feature. Is it the firmware? The build? Will someone be able to explain how that works?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I want to update to a very specific version of marshmallow that I had running on my HTC desire 530, branded with metropcs crap all over it. The reason I want to do this is bc on that desire 530, it had the ability to play YouTube audio after you open a new tab, app, or manually time out your screen. I want that functionality to be on my M8. I'm not sure which part of the software is responsible for that feature. Is it the firmware? The build?

Porting over a ROM from a completely different device (or some aspects of that ROM) without a lot of development knowledge, really isn't a feasible thing to attempt.

There are xposed and Magisk modules that do exactly what you want (Youtube background play). And it's relatively easy to root, and install the Magisk or xposed module you desire.

I am using simple mobile as my carrier, which makes certain things not work like software update, TV remote, & mobile hotspot.

It's true that being off AT&T kills the OTA update feature. However, you can still update by RUU, if you like. Check out the RUU section of my Index thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751432

Mobile hotspot, you can get working if you root, and do the wifi hotspot/tethering mod; or alternately, install a custom ROM. WiFi hotspot is only limited on the stock AT&T software (or other US carrier stock software).

The Sense TV remote app doesn't work anymore, since HTC stopped supporting it. It's got nothing to do with switching to Simple Mobile. The phone's IR blaster will still work with other TV remote apps such as Peel and others.

Last edited: