FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can I downgrade HTC ONE M8 from 6.0 to 5.0 or 4.4.4?

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By TechMan123456, Junior Member on 27th March 2017, 03:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys I have an AT&T HTC ONE M8 and it was rooted and running 4.4.4 and TWRP and then something happened to it which caused me to go RUU and restore the device and unroot it and everything. Then I was on 6.0 and rooted it with the HTC ONE M8 rootkit and flashed SuperSU and TWRP on it and currently its still running rooted 6.0 with TWRP, I don't like marshmallow and I want to downgrade to kitkat or lollipop. My bootloader is unlocked and I am S-ON! Please someone explain very thoroughly how I can downgrade as I am not 100% tech-savy as we speak.

Thank You Guys So Much!

27th March 2017, 04:20 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,220

More
You can simply TWRP flash a 5.0 based M8 ROM, or restore a 5.0 backup and it will work. I believe the same is also true for 4.4.4. But not 4.4.3, as it is not compatible with newer firmware (hboot, radio, etc.). And you need s-off to downgrade that firmware.

Be aware, whatever you think you are gaining from downgrading; you are losing by not having years of Android security updates (patches to vulnerabilities, etc.).
27th March 2017, 06:44 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks Mate! Can you redirect me to a 5.0 Rom?
29th March 2017, 04:24 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,220

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMan123456

Thanks Mate! Can you redirect me to a 5.0 Rom?

Not specifically, no. You can search the ATT Dev section for 5.0 ROM as easily as I can. Or if you don't need or want an ATT based ROM, you can also look in the "international" Dev section: https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development

Also, ROMs which have been updated (Android 6, 7) may or may not still have links to 5.0 versions.

Alternately (and probably easier to find) just restore a stock TWRP backup of a 5.0 ROM: https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc...-twrp-t3086860

You don't need (or want) to restore the data partition, so it is essentially the same as flashing a ROM (although getting the files to the right location is a bit trickier). Also, no need to install stock recovery (as getting an OTA update is not what you want). Then root if desired.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)