Which Stock Recovery Version for HTC One M8

Search This thread

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
None of those. That is hardly a "master" list. It's over 3 years old, never updated past the original Kitkat (M8 release) recoveries, and woefully obsolete. You'll want your recovery number to match your OS number (main version on bootloader screen or getvar all). Also, none of those are valid for AT&T version M8 (which is what I assume you have, since this section is specifically for the AT&T M8). It would need to have "502" in the version number x.xx.502.x which specifically denotes AT&T.

Why exactly do you want stock recovery? Most folks want this, in order to get OTA updates. But you will also need a stock, never rooted ROM (unrooting doesn't work), and also must be connected to the AT&T network. It's probably easier to relock the bootloader, and update by RUU. Note that RUU will wipe all data from the phone. See RUU section in my Index thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751432

If you really want stock recovery, you should be able to extract it from the firmware.zip. Find the right firmware version number from the firmware collection, and extract recovery.img from the "Stock, Full Wipe" firmware zip:
https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/development/progress-fuu-m8-t2813792

Reactions: mortifyxda

mortifyxda

Sep 13, 2017
That is definitely helpful. Thank you. I didn't realize that I could pull the bootloader out of the firmware.zip. The phone was AT&T and later unlocked and made in to a rooted Cyanogenmod phone. I had to un-root and install Android GPE. It's not really AT&T anymore. Now I can download OTA updates, but cannot install them because TWRP is still the bootloader. I would rather do the OTA updates since the phone is already stock-ish and resetting everything is only slightly preferable to stabbing my eye out.

Since I'm unlocked on marshmallow, it looks like I want the 6.12.1540.4 zip.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I didn't realize that I could pull the bootloader out of the firmware.zip.

Recovery and bootloader are two completely different things! You can pull recovery.img from firmware.zip, and flash with fastboot. I would not do this with bootloader, which would require s-off (to flash manually) and it would still be risky. Better to flash the whole firmware.zip or RUU, if you want to update bootloader. But I don't think that is what you meant.

I had to un-root and install Android GPE. It's not really AT&T anymore. Now I can download OTA updates, but cannot install them because TWRP is still the bootloader. I would rather do the OTA updates since the phone is already stock-ish and resetting everything is only slightly preferable to stabbing my eye out.

Since I'm unlocked on marshmallow, it looks like I want the 6.12.1540.4 zip.

Your description is confusing, and I think you're mixing the terms up again. 6.12.1540.4 is the version number for the US Developer's Edition, which is Sense, and not the same as Google Play Edition (GPE) which is not Sense.

To OTA, the version number of the current stock ROM needs to match your firmware number (in bootloader and getar all), and you also need matching stock recovery.

To be clear, what is the current ROM (and version number) as shown in Settings? And also do fastboot getvar all, and post the result (delete IMEI and serial number). Need those pieces of info, before I can properly advise what stock recovery to use.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    None of those. That is hardly a "master" list. It's over 3 years old, never updated past the original Kitkat (M8 release) recoveries, and woefully obsolete. You'll want your recovery number to match your OS number (main version on bootloader screen or getvar all). Also, none of those are valid for AT&T version M8 (which is what I assume you have, since this section is specifically for the AT&T M8). It would need to have "502" in the version number x.xx.502.x which specifically denotes AT&T.

Why exactly do you want stock recovery? Most folks want this, in order to get OTA updates. But you will also need a stock, never rooted ROM (unrooting doesn't work), and also must be connected to the AT&T network. It's probably easier to relock the bootloader, and update by RUU. Note that RUU will wipe all data from the phone. See RUU section in my Index thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751432

If you really want stock recovery, you should be able to extract it from the firmware.zip. Find the right firmware version number from the firmware collection, and extract recovery.img from the "Stock, Full Wipe" firmware zip:
    https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/development/progress-fuu-m8-t2813792