Any word on radio fixes?

Search This thread

atistang

Feb 1, 2010
I'm considering getting a motox Monday so I don't have the reception problems I have. Just wondering if anyone has heard any plans on fixing the radios for the D850? I'd love to keep the phone, but when I can't count on it to make and receive calls where other ATT phones will...

shayneflashindaily

Sep 15, 2012
Hendersonville NC
I'm considering getting a motox Monday so I don't have the reception problems I have. Just wondering if anyone has heard any plans on fixing the radios for the D850? I'd love to keep the phone, but when I can't count on it to make and receive calls where other ATT phones will...

Sir with all due respect I have great signal. Have you thought to yourself that maybe its a hardware issue ?....

2SHAYNEZ

cables2590

Jun 23, 2012
Elgin

I have experienced problems with my radio too... But mainly in basements, but the aggravating part is that someone can sit next to me with a S5 and get signal when I can't... I have not heard anything or haven't read anything about an update fixing the radio... I wish they would though...

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

atistang

Feb 1, 2010
i do have the spigen slim armor, but i have tried without the case and had the same issues. i do live in a low service area, but i didnt have these issues with my GS4 and my wife doesnt have them with her GS5. so I know it should and could be better

chaosclarity

May 29, 2013
i do have the spigen slim armor, but i have tried without the case and had the same issues. i do live in a low service area, but i didnt have these issues with my GS4 and my wife doesnt have them with her GS5. so I know it should and could be better

This almost sounds like a hardware limitation of the G3's antenna design compared to the Galaxy S5 design.
Not all phones are going to have the exact same reception capabilities. Unfortunately, this cannot be resolved through a software update.

You can compare the two by looking at the dB level on both phones side by side. Do NOT use "bar" indicator levels to compare signal levels.

atistang

Feb 1, 2010
This almost sounds like a hardware limitation of the G3's antenna design compared to the Galaxy S5 design.
Not all phones are going to have the exact same reception capabilities. Unfortunately, this cannot be resolved through a software update.

Yeah I realize that, I also realize it could be software related.

Thanks for your input, if I get a motox coupon today I'm going to get one

R4DUDE

Aug 19, 2017
Reception Problems

I bought my g3 off an ebay seller about 4-5 months ago. its my first android phone. ive owned ios and windows devices prior to this. it came rooted which kind of spooked me cause it was listed as new other (out of box and original package but otherwise new). it was working great for the most part until i started realizing i wasnt getting half of my calls and couldnt make calls half the time. i can use data and text with pretty much 1 bar or more on lte. making and receiving calls is damn near impossible unless i have 3 bars or more on lte to start then atleast 2 bars when it switches to 4g. I really really like the phone and would hate to get rid of it so soon. im half decent with computers and such so i decided to try and troubleshoot this problem. it could be hardware related but i honestly feel like its software related. maybe there was a crucial ota update it missed due to being rooted? i updated to stock lollipop from stock kitkat to start and updated the modem to the d850 20f version i believe it was, no improvement that i noticed. i kept doing research and found another modem update 20q i think it was and that seemed to improve the reception problems a little bit. i was now getting a little bit of service in areas that i was getting no service prior to this. i have since removed root and took the ota update that was available, no luck. now before going any further with the ota updates im going to reroot (hopefully i didnt lock the bootloader with the last ota) i forgot that some of those otas will do that. im going to try changing the build prop from 9 to 12 and see what that does. theres also a custom rom i came across called spectrum thats geared towards better reception that im going to try. if anyone can give any further advice or ideas please do. im ready to throw the thing out of my car window sometimes lol.

the 30 dollar windows phone that this replaced has better call performance than this g3.