FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Recommendations for a Slim, Soft-Touch TPU Case?

554 posts
Thanks Meter: 142

By P650SE, Senior Member on 7th September 2017, 11:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm a new Axon 7 owner and am currently searching for a case to use on this phone. The stock transparent case that comes with the phone is great but due to the fact it's a glossy plastic, it attracts a lot of grease from my fingers and feels dirty after a while. I also dislike it because the sweat from my hands will form into condensation on the back of the case. I also have a problem where the jack on my headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50) is too large to fit in the hole provided.

I decided to purchase the Spigen 'Rugged Armor' case from Amazon after reading a lot of positive comments about it, but I have been left disappointed and debating whether to return it due to the sheer size and thickness that makes handling the phone (Which is already large enough!) incredibly difficult with small hands. The case does not add much friction despite the material used having a rubber-like appearance, and I actually feel more likely to drop the phone as a result of trying to fumble with the added size. As well as this, the cut-out for the headphone jack is still too small even though it's larger than the wider than the one seen on the stock case. I also find it a lot more difficult to access the fingerprint scanner due to the thickness of the case surrounding it. Another problem is that the case is quite difficult to put onto the phone and a lot harder to remove, to the point where it feels like i'm actually going to damage the phone by attempting to do this!

For my previous phone, a Lenovo ZUK Z2, I had a fantastic Nillkin 'Frosted Shield' shell case that was made from a soft-touch rubber-like plastic. It was very slim at about 2mm in thickness at most, and although it didn't offer much in the way of drop-protection, it did have a nice textured back and that increased the grip tremendously. So, despite the case not being able to protect the phone quite as much from being dropped, it didn't matter because the chances of dropping the phone in the first place were a lot less likely. I wondered whether there was something similar for the Axon 7, but instead in a TPU-style with the sealed corners, and the same thickness as the stock case that's included with the phone? Any recommendations would be most appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to P650SE For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift P650SE Ad-Free

14th September 2017, 10:37 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
This one is the best one, hands down: https://www.amazon.de/ARTILVST-umgeb...slim+case+sand

It is ultra slim and has a very nice feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sui77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sui77 Ad-Free
14th September 2017, 02:17 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui77

This one is the best one, hands down: https://www.amazon.de/ARTILVST-umgeb...slim+case+sand

That looks nice, it's kinda like the old Sandstone Black finish on the OnePlus One. There was one similar to this on Amazon UK but I don't think it had the same texture to it. My only compliant with that one is that it isn't a TPU case which completely covers the corners, but on the other hand the sand texture probably adds a lot of grip to reduce the risk of it being dropped.

I'm currently looking into getting the J&D case from their official website. It's in TPU-form which covers the entire phone (Except from the power/volume buttons!) and has the textured soft-touch back I wanted. The only problem with this one is that the glossy plastic edges look a bit tacky in the pictures, but hopefully it's not as bad in person as it looks on the website. I have a discount code which knocks a subtle 15% off the price listed, so it might be worth a shot.
15th September 2017, 04:35 PM |#4  
Flag Forster, NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Looking into this now myself. The stock clear case will go yellow as they all do. Getting cheap see through black case as a temporary till I find a good one. I find the clear one a tad loose at the side.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobboW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RobboW Ad-Free
16th September 2017, 10:07 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 247

More
Quote:

Hi there,
Does this case provide good grip?
Thanks for confirming!
16th September 2017, 10:30 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaste

Hi there,
Does this case provide good grip?
Thanks for confirming!

Yes.

In my opinion it's the perfect one.
My buddies ordered it for their Samsung cause of the nice touch.

Color is anthracite, not fancy but decent
16th September 2017, 10:45 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

Yes.

In my opinion it's the perfect one.
My buddies ordered it for their Samsung cause of the nice touch.

Color is anthracite, not fancy but decent

Thanks. I'm mostly interested in the grip. I had a similar case from Amazon. fr but it was in fact quite slippery (it had a satin feel to it). Had to send it back.
The stock case that came with the Axon 7 is quite grippy but it is slowly going yellow.
16th September 2017, 11:07 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

Thanks. I'm mostly interested in the grip. I had a similar case from Amazon. fr but it was in fact quite slippery (it had a satin feel to it). Had to send it back.
The stock case that came with the Axon 7 is quite grippy but it is slowly going yellow.

This one is a different story.

It's the best pick you can get
16th September 2017, 11:14 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

This one is a different story.

It's the best pick you can get

Thanks. Just ordered it.
24th September 2017, 02:16 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Thanks. Just ordered it.

Hey, have you received the case yet? Just wondering what you thought to it. If either you or @Sui77 could post a picture of it, that would be great as well. I'm still debating whether to choose this or the J&D TPU case that completely conceals the corners. I can't stand using the case which came with the phone much longer, as it's made from glossy plastic and attracts a lot of filth and grease. I imagine the ARTILVST case would be a lot better in this regard.
24th September 2017, 04:11 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by P650SE

Hey, have you received the case yet? Just wondering what you thought to it. If either you or @Sui77 could post a picture of it, that would be great as well. I'm still debating whether to choose this or the J&D TPU case that completely conceals the corners. I can't stand using the case which came with the phone much longer, as it's made from glossy plastic and attracts a lot of filth and grease. I imagine the ARTILVST case would be a lot better in this regard.

Yes I did. Or is ok, but not as grippy as I was hoping for. The original case provides more grip.

Some pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_170642.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	4282084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_170627.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	4282085  
The Following User Says Thank You to joaste For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joaste Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)