[WIP] Crimson Kernel [EAS] [8.1.0/9.0]

Search This thread

sys01

Apr 18, 2014
Fermignano
Hi everyone
As title shows, this is a WIP project
(I don't own the device, all builds are blind!)

What is EAS?
Energy Aware Scheduling (EAS) is an enhancement to Linux power management, unifying CPU power control under the Linux kernel. EAS extends the Linux kernel scheduler to make it fully aware of the power/performance capabilities of the CPUs in the system, to optimize energy consumption for advanced multi-core SoCs including big.LITTLE. With EAS, the Linux kernel will use the task load and a CPU ‘Energy Model’ to control task placement to select the optimal CPU to run on.

Google thinks, EAS is the way to go for the future. With this kernel you can get pixel (2) experience even before the pixel (2) is released.

Interesting links for further research:
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-fastest-android-phone-eas/
https://developer.arm.com/open-source/energy-aware-scheduling

Features
- Full EAS 1.3 implementation (based on EAS Project and LineageOS official kernel)
- Works on HMP ROMS too (you need to use sched/schedutil, HMP stuff are removed from kernel, otherwise you'll face freqs stuck at 100%)
- STune Boost for better battery and performance
- F2FS supported
- Tweaks and changes under the hood

Feel free to try and report your feedback (and logs too)

Download here

Installation
- Reboot to TWRP
- Backup your current boot.img
- Flash the kernel
- Reboot!

Sources here

Credits
@OrdenKrieger
@jcadduono
@joshuous (EAS Project)
And everyone worked for this device and LineageOS bring-up

Last edited:

sys01

Apr 18, 2014
Fermignano
Changelog

04/11
- Initial release

07/11
- Completely rebased over the latest CAF Oreo Tag (LA.UM.6.6, it *should* work on Pie, but not guaranteed!)
- Completely re-done EAS
- New LMK for better RAM managment
- Android upstream for AIO (check if MTP works better or worse than before)
- Better battery and performance

Last edited:

sklaes

Jun 25, 2011
EAS - Energy Aware Scheduling
WIP - Work in Progress
HMP - Heterogeneous Multi-Processing
HAL - Hardware abstraction layer

Do you plan to update the kernel on a regular base?

Last edited:
Reactions: levp

sys01

Apr 18, 2014
Fermignano
EAS - Energy Aware Scheduling
WIP - Work in Progress
HMP - Heterogeneous Multi-Processing
HAL - Hardware abstraction layer

Do you plan to update the kernel on a regular base?

When there are major changes to be applied - then yes
Otherwise makes no sense to push update with little to no changes at all

You tested it?

Gases

Jul 2, 2016
Santo Domingo
Currently testing it on LOS16. Boots just fine, I'm charging the phone to 100% now to give it a go and I'll be back with some feedback tomorrow. So far everything I've tested works fine.

sklaes

Jun 25, 2011
Not jet, but EAS sounds interesting

Update: installed - currently testing

Last edited:

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@sys01: You've said that it works on ROMs based on LineageOS. But does it work on ROMs that are based on AOSP? Is F2FS supported for data and cache partitions?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

[/COLOR @sys01: You've said that it works on ROMs based on LineageOS. But does it work on ROMs that are based on AOSP? Is F2FS supported for data and cache partitions?

Thanks!

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@Predatorhaze: So, you say this kernel works with F2FS data on DotOS Oreo? I literally just tried that a few days ago, but with Hellsgate/Schwifty kernels, no go. But maybe I'll try again now. Thanks for the heads up!

sys01

Apr 18, 2014
Fermignano
@sys01: You've said that it works on ROMs based on LineageOS. But does it work on ROMs that are based on AOSP? Is F2FS supported for data and cache partitions?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

[/COLOR @sys01: You've said that it works on ROMs based on LineageOS. But does it work on ROMs that are based on AOSP? Is F2FS supported for data and cache partitions?

Thanks!

F2FS is supported, I'll update the thread to explain that better

Predatorhaze

Feb 18, 2016
Gelderland
@Predatorhaze: So, you say this kernel works with F2FS data on DotOS Oreo? I literally just tried that a few days ago, but with Hellsgate/Schwifty kernels, no go. But maybe I'll try again now. Thanks for the heads up!

i have data in f2fs,and yes it boots and everything works till now.
Only is that dolby atmos dont work anymore,dont know why.On previous build with ext4 it worked.

I was confused because the freq on interactive,but already read a answer and that is due its eas kernel.
good we have eas now,i use helix engine also

if anyone got a working dolby atmos,pls let me know

Predatorhaze

Feb 18, 2016
Gelderland
This is an EAS kernel, you need to use sched/schedutil (interactive gov won't work anymore)

ok.untill now everything seems stable.
can you set schedutil as default on next update? and you think about adding kcal feature (saturations etc) and some wakeblocks?
running on dotos 2.5 oreo,magisk 17.3,crimson kernel,f2fs data partition and los universal v2 bootstack

ChrisFeiveel84

Jun 29, 2017
Germany
OnePlus 11
an update to the current lineage OS kernel would be great since September has changed a lot on the go kernel

Your kernel works with AOSP Basis Rom
(have your kernel briefly tested with the havoc 2.0 Rom)

levp

Jan 2, 2009
New York
OnePlus 8T
Running this right now on LOS 15, for the entire day, without any issues that I can see. :good:
Used EX Kernel Manager to set governors.

Gases

Jul 2, 2016
Santo Domingo
The kernel runs pretty well on Pie, but I think it's pretty aggressively throttled. Once the temp gets to 40°C the LITTLE cores get set to 960 MHz and the big cores to around the same. It's also kind of sluggish when the phone is taken out of deep sleep, and scrolling isn't that great. However, deep sleep works wonders. The discharge rate with screen off is ~0.3% per hour.

Oh, and it may just be me, but playing audio thtough the speakers makes the phone temp get pretty high, which again makes it get throttled and really slow.

sys01

Apr 18, 2014
Fermignano
The kernel runs pretty well on Pie, but I think it's pretty aggressively throttled. Once the temp gets to 40°C the LITTLE cores get set to 960 MHz and the big cores to around the same. It's also kind of sluggish when the phone is taken out of deep sleep, and scrolling isn't that great. However, deep sleep works wonders. The discharge rate with screen off is ~0.3% per hour.

Oh, and it may just be me, but playing audio thtough the speakers makes the phone temp get pretty high, which again makes it get throttled and really slow.

New version coming soon, hopefully this time around should be way more smooth and stable
Also, EAS takes time to make it perfect, but soon or later it will!

wannaskoo

May 10, 2017
Thank you for your work. This kernel is great and really shows the benefits of EAS on an older SOC like the S820. Sure, it needs polishing, but it's a great start :cool:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone
    As title shows, this is a WIP project
    (I don't own the device, all builds are blind!)

What is EAS?
    Energy Aware Scheduling (EAS) is an enhancement to Linux power management, unifying CPU power control under the Linux kernel. EAS extends the Linux kernel scheduler to make it fully aware of the power/performance capabilities of the CPUs in the system, to optimize energy consumption for advanced multi-core SoCs including big.LITTLE. With EAS, the Linux kernel will use the task load and a CPU ‘Energy Model’ to control task placement to select the optimal CPU to run on.

Google thinks, EAS is the way to go for the future. With this kernel you can get pixel (2) experience even before the pixel (2) is released.

Interesting links for further research:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-fastest-android-phone-eas/
    https://developer.arm.com/open-source/energy-aware-scheduling

Features
    - Full EAS 1.3 implementation (based on EAS Project and LineageOS official kernel)
    - Works on HMP ROMS too (you need to use sched/schedutil, HMP stuff are removed from kernel, otherwise you'll face freqs stuck at 100%)
    - STune Boost for better battery and performance
    - F2FS supported
    - Tweaks and changes under the hood

Feel free to try and report your feedback (and logs too)

Download here

Installation
    - Reboot to TWRP
    - Backup your current boot.img
    - Flash the kernel
    - Reboot!

Sources here

Credits
    @OrdenKrieger
    @jcadduono
    @joshuous (EAS Project)
    And everyone worked for this device and LineageOS bring-up
    Hey man, love that you're trying to make an EAS kernel for our device. I've tested it out and it works great, and was wondering if you were planning to continue the development of it? There are many people who would love to test out your builds, and we wouldn't just be flashing without saying anything afterwards, as we all know how to take logs and help you in case we run into bugs or some errors. Thanks!

I though that maybe bring you the FULL LineageOS EAS experience wouldn't be a terrible idea :silly: Coming soon? ...
    I've completely re-done everything making it all clean
    Hope boot this time around

Download
    Okay, this is a big update

Changelog
    - Completely rebased over the latest CAF Oreo Tag (LA.UM.6.6, it *should* work on Pie, but not guaranteed!)
    - Completely re-done EAS
    - New LMK for better RAM managment
    - Android upstream for AIO (check if MTP works better or worse than before)
    - Better battery and performance

Download removed

As usual it's a blind build, let me know if it works or not

New version coming soon, hopefully this time around should be way more smooth and stable
    Also, EAS takes time to make it perfect, but soon or later it will!