FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A2017G Japan - Lots of Questions...

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By TheZen, Junior Member on 23rd May 2019, 06:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Okay, so I used to love rooting my phones, but I mostly dealt with flagship phones in the US which made rooting and flashing a cakewalk. I understand some of the nitty gritty, so when I got my first phone in Japan, I was super excited about rooting it. But after reading this forum for hours, I have so many questions...my phone build is A2017G JPV1.1.0B03.

I read this but this mostly focused on using an update on this phone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axo...2017g-t3608411

1. If that thread is correct, that means I technically just have the European version of the phone with Japanese modems installed. Is that correct?

2. Also, does that mean (if I were not to root the phone) I would need to install a European Axon 7 Oreo update for it to actually work on the phone? Would the US version fail?

3. I can't seem to find the modem for my phone. I can upload some screenshots later but can someone clarify if I'm right that it's a "B03" or am I looking at the wrong information?

4. There is no Oreo release for Japan, so does that mean I can't flash an Oreo ROM because there won't be any modems for this?

That's all for now, but I'm sure I have a lot of follow-up questions to your answers. Your help is greatly appreciated.

23rd May 2019, 08:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Unlock bootloader, install twrp, instal "G" model bootstack, instal any custom rom, then flash "G" modem in twrp, reboot. No matter where you device are from, the model matters. If its "G", its a european version and its only what you need to know. If you want stock oreo and didnt recieve through OTA, download the update in ZTE website for your "G" version, put it in a sdcard then reboot your phone to recovey then select "install update from sd card" option.
The Following User Says Thank You to brunojborges For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brunojborges Ad-Free
23rd May 2019, 11:23 PM |#3  
Flag Forster, NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Basically, the model of the phone is printed on the back of it down the bottom.
A2017 is China version.

A2017U is US version.

A2017G is everything else (Global) version. It's not actually euro.

The modem software has to be for the actual model of the phone, not your location in the world.

Don't correlate software versions between Chinese, US and Global, they use different numbering systems. Only concentrate on what is for your model.

The rest of this pertains to A2017G as that is what you seem to have.

They start at B01 (usually pre-release beta) and go up from there but each new Android version eg Nougat, Oreo etc means the numbers restart from B01.

Nougat B03 has nothing to do with Oreo B03.

Look at the software version, A2017GV1.1.0 is very old, the 1.1.0 is the key to the Android version. 1.2.0 is Nougat, 1.3.0 is Oreo so you have Marshmallow at 1.1.0 and B03 release from that Android generation.
It seems confusing at first but it's actually quite simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobboW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RobboW Ad-Free
24th May 2019, 02:19 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboW

Basically, the model of the phone is printed on the back of it down the bottom.
A2017 is China version.

A2017U is US version.

A2017G is everything else (Global) version. It's not actually euro.

The modem software has to be for the actual model of the phone, not your location in the world.

Don't correlate software versions between Chinese, US and Global, they use different numbering systems. Only concentrate on what is for your model.

The rest of this pertains to A2017G as that is what you seem to have.

They start at B01 (usually pre-release beta) and go up from there but each new Android version eg Nougat, Oreo etc means the numbers restart from B01.

Nougat B03 has nothing to do with Oreo B03.

Look at the software version, A2017GV1.1.0 is very old, the 1.1.0 is the key to the Android version. 1.2.0 is Nougat, 1.3.0 is Oreo so you have Marshmallow at 1.1.0 and B03 release from that Android generation.
It seems confusing at first but it's actually quite simple.

I'm so used to dealing with multiple modems for the same model of phone in the US (between the major carriers and stuff) that I was overthinking it.

Thanks a ton. That simplifies things so much...and also makes me wonder why updating never occurred for the Japanese release. It's not like there isn't language support for newer versions of Android, but maybe not for the MIUI? I need to be more careful choosing my next phone then, though probably it should be an AOSP phone like the Zenfone or Pixel.

Guess I have my work cut out for me this weekend. Time to run a giant backup and start rooting. Thanks again for all your help. I like this phone (though I often accidentally hover/touch the home button when typing, and I hope there's a sensitivity fix for that ) so I want it to last for a while before I get my next one.
24th May 2019, 06:07 AM |#5  

More
It's still a good phone, I look at new phones and think, hmmm, nice, but what will I gain on a daily basis? Nothing more to be honest. The A7 has enough power for me still. The one thing I could really use would be a higher capacity battery. Was looking at Huawei phones but now, well.....

For updates, they had issues with OTA and reverted to only releasing for a whole ROM download for update from SD card.

I personally won't apply an OTA for mine even now at Oreo. Must be a whole ROM to flash with the updater. That's all I've done with it since purchase and it works great still. A lot of people seem to have all sorts of weird issues after applying OTA updates.
24th May 2019, 02:24 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Sweet. As someone with some experience with this stuff, do you have any tips or tricks I should know moving forward? I'm going to try rooting it tonight.

-EDIT: Quick little question, my phone says the Android version is 7.1.1 but that would be Nougat, right? Or is it actually Marshmellow?
24th May 2019, 11:21 PM |#7  

More
7.1.1 yeah, Nougat. That doesn't make sense from your first post.

Was it used when you got it or new? Have you checked the model from what's on the back of it, not what software says it is?

I keep mine stock, can't advise on rooting etc. I use it with personal and work SIMs and it has to pass requirements including encryption to run Microsoft InTune and our company portal and use it in work mode. Bootloader hasn't even been unlocked. The most I did was uninstall some built in user apps through ADB.
26th May 2019, 05:05 AM |#8  
Flag Kure
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I also have a 2017G bought in Japan. I unlocked it and worked on it based on this forum, and I can say that it behaves as any other 2017G. I am not interested to use the stock ROM, but yes, I remember that it was on Nougat version when I received it.
26th May 2019, 02:23 PM |#9  
Nagasaki
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have the A2017 (china). As above, update your phone to the region. As a result of having a china variant, i think i miss out on band 28 and some other essential bands for reception. I get 3G/low 4G connections and a lot of bad reception areas (countryside living). Its no problem.
Currently running AEX 6.5. Search some of my recent posts for how I updated to this version.
31st May 2019, 02:01 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_antz

I have the A2017 (china). As above, update your phone to the region. As a result of having a china variant, i think i miss out on band 28 and some other essential bands for reception. I get 3G/low 4G connections and a lot of bad reception areas (countryside living). Its no problem.
Currently running AEX 6.5. Search some of my recent posts for how I updated to this version.

Appreciate it. I will try to work on it this weekend, as last weekend I just didn't have the time...

The phone was brand new when i bought it. It was on a "super sale" though, going for 12,000 yen (like 110 bucks or so). I was thinking about getting a Zenfone but if I could save the money and make it to at least Oreo I'd be happy. Been having issues with the battery whenever I use more than 2 apps at a time.

If you could link an unlocking guide and a ROM that worked well for you that would be great. I have one I plan to use but I'm always open to suggestions. After the first time, I'll feel more comfortable with it. In the worst case scenario that I brick this thing I'll just buy the Zenfone early
31st May 2019, 03:30 AM |#11  

More
The Zenphone 6 is looking a viable buy now.

My Axon 7 is still good so not really looking but I did just get a new Axon 7 Mini for use as a media player. It still has AMOLED screen, stereo speakers, headphone jack, DAC for the jack etc. No hi res bluetooth though. Cost me AU$149 new in box from retail store. Bargain! How much is a dedicated music player which is crap at movies or just cant do them?

Chucked my 128Gb SD in. Sounds good playing through the car hifi, lower 3.5 jack output matches HU aux in impedance better than Axon 7 which can overload the input at high volume. Very balanced and clean sound.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)