FORUMS

Daydream will be back. Axon 7 development is still ongoing

497 posts
Thanks Meter: 615

By GodOfPsychos, Senior Member on 20th February 2019, 06:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I wrote an email to the chief technical officer of ZTE and asked if development for the Axon 7 is still ongoing. Here is a screenshot of the answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-02-20-07-46-51~01.jpg
Views:	2932
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	4708828  
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to GodOfPsychos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GodOfPsychos Ad-Free
21st February 2019, 01:25 AM |#2  
Editor in Chief
Thanks Meter: 2,124

More
Can you link exactly who you wrote to? I would like to confirm this.
21st February 2019, 07:07 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Solingen
Thanks Meter: 615

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaalRahman

Can you link exactly who you wrote to? I would like to confirm this.

Pm for now to avoid possible email spamming.

As for all the others who read this, here is a little more explanation:
He is the technical chief officer of zte and stands in direct contact with the dev team. He is also the reason we got the zip for disabling system write protection in the first place. Without him i wouldn't have gotten the update.zip (with disabled system write protection) and @raystef66 couldn't have made a flashable zip for us.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GodOfPsychos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GodOfPsychos Ad-Free
22nd February 2019, 03:49 PM |#4  
Flag PacNW
Thanks Meter: 323

More
Great contact! Thanks.

Anyway to get the PIE IMS so we can get wifi calling working on Oreo or Pie?
The Following User Says Thank You to amphi66 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amphi66 Ad-Free
26th February 2019, 07:35 AM |#5  
Flag Gelderland
Thanks Meter: 208

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphi66

Great contact! Thanks.

Volte works on Oreo china
27th February 2019, 02:51 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Great contact! Thanks.

VoLTE should work on any of the big Oreo ROMs. WFC is hit or miss (even on stock ROM). I'm assuming Oreo is gonna be the last android version we can install and still have these things work (unless some dev out there finds a way to get past this roadblock in the future). Either way, I kinda doubt ZTE would provide any further updates for us beyond Oreo. I'm assuming that the response given in the OP meant that they would fix everything that's still broken and missing on 8.0; not begin development for Pie (especially since the Axon 10 is just around the corner, pulling resources into a 3-year-old phone just isn't a sound decision from a business standpoint).
2nd March 2019, 09:45 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterBlade

pulling resources into a 3-year-old phone just isn't a sound decision from a business standpoint).

It is if ZTE expect some form of customer loyalty on future purchase decisions. Would you buy the Axon 10/11/12 etc. based on your Axon 7 experience? Yes they had disruptions from trade sanctions etc. but that's not the consumers fault and imo ZTE should be doing everything they can to restore faith in their brand.
2nd March 2019, 10:58 AM |#8  
Flag Forster, NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 274

More
They're basically starting again.
They need an affordable flagship like the Axon 7 was. If they don't, it will be hard to gather enough sales to start a customer pool and try for return purchase later on.

Current customers are wary, sceptical and untrusting after that whole fiasco and rightly so.
3rd March 2019, 09:39 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Maine
Thanks Meter: 12,377

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Great contact! Thanks.

VoLTE nd Wifi calling wok fine for me on ZTE's Oreo B20.
6th March 2019, 01:51 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboW

They're basically starting again.
They need an affordable flagship like the Axon 7 was. If they don't, it will be hard to gather enough sales to start a customer pool and try for return purchase later on.

Current customers are wary, sceptical and untrusting after that whole fiasco and rightly so.

They just need to copy and paste the Axon 7 with newer specs.
Maybe bumping it to 6" in order to have more internal space would do the trick.

I still can't understand how did they think that the Axon 9 Pro was a good idea. They litterally took all that was great about the A7 and...deleted it.

Now...a bit of an on topic question. Instead of releasing 8.0, could they not enter the Android One program with it...especially since they were aiming for stock experience?
Maybe it's been asked before, but what are the implications of entering the AO program,because IIRC, I may have read some time ago something about a partition not existing on the device and ZTE not gambling with a large release, but I can't remember specifically?
6th March 2019, 10:18 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 925

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueSsS

They just need to copy and paste the Axon 7 with newer specs.
Maybe bumping it to 6" in order to have more internal space would do the trick.

I still can't understand how did they think that the Axon 9 Pro was a good idea. They litterally took all that was great about the A7 and...deleted it.

Now...a bit of an on topic question. Instead of releasing 8.0, could they not enter the Android One program with it...especially since they were aiming for stock experience?
Maybe it's been asked before, but what are the implications of entering the AO program,because IIRC, I may have read some time ago something about a partition not existing on the device and ZTE not gambling with a large release, but I can't remember specifically?

The vendor partition stuff is something else entirely. Some people believed that ZTE would bring Treble support to the Axon while that made very little sense (Treble is a requirement for phones that SHIP with Oreo and above, but it's optional for Oreo, and its main advantage is it makes it easier for OEMs to update major Android versions). It was developed by djkuz and NFound eventually anyways, but only because of the generic ROM benefits

I don't think you can simply slap Android One certification on the middle of a product's life, but even if they could, it would make absolutely zero sense for them... Why be commited to security updates and newer Android versions on a phone that has surely stopped giving any revenue since long ago? Plus I'm not even sure if people prefer stock Android to stuff like One UI where you have a bunch of options
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)