FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Add ringtones, notifications, alarms on AXON 7 root / non-root

1,752 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,459

By raystef66, Recognized Contributor on 22nd January 2017, 04:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
As the A7 is a bit stubborn on putting custom ringtones to be notified in the 'ringtone' department of your phone instead of showing them under the 'global' tab MUSIC, i did some testing to put custom ringtones, notifications and alarms on my A7 properly (root necessary).

non-root :

Perhaps you noticed already putting a ringtone in your phones storage or sd-card makes it only visible in the general 'music' tab(as far as i know). To surch your ringtone out of your 1000 music files had to make you convert the name of your ringtone adding a # symbol or something else to find it between the mass...
In fact when you put f.e. a ringtone in Ringtones folder of your internal storage it makes the ringtone visible in BLUE under your 'music' tab.
When you add a ringtone under a folder like ringtones you created on your SD card it makes the ringtone visible in BLACK under your 'music' tab.

rooted :
For me this was not an option to 'search' my ringstones and other stuff under a general music tab. Instead i wanted them to be visible on the right place as it should be. As you know you have to be rooted to put ringtones (...) in system/media/audio/ringtones...BUT as i never had to put ringtones in SYSTEM before this time there was a little problem : in SYSTEM they did play in my explorer but they didn't play when i had to select them under the 'ringtone' tab when f.e. selecting a specific ringtone for your phone. They just gave a 'faulty' tone....
It took me a while before i saw that all the A7 files under ringtones (e.o) are rw-r-r- and mine were rw-rw-
On my other phones this never gave me a problem because i could just put any ringtones in a folder of my sd-card. Here it's different and not-user-friendly.

So, solution is very obvious, just use Root Explorer and change permissions of your ringtones to rw-r-r
You can select them all togheter and change them. (In Solid explorer f.e. you can only change one at a time. Therefore i recommend Root Explorer.)
After that they are visible and playable under 'ringtones' tab (...)

I just wanted to share this for rooted (and non-rooted) users when they encounter some problems to import ringtones (...) in system
The Following User Says Thank You to raystef66 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raystef66 Ad-Free

23rd January 2017, 08:39 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 192

More
I have another solution (non-root).
1. record something in the built-in recorder app
2. convert your ringtone in the same audio format (wav) using something like fre:ac (free audio converter)
3. replace the recorded file in internal storage/records with your ringtone
4. use the recorder app to rename the file, you can test your replaced file here
5. select your ringtone in settings in the recording tab
30th January 2017, 09:17 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 494

More
No need for the above.

Just drop the mp3 into the internal storage/records folder. It'll show up under the recordings tab in the selector.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...12&postcount=8
The Following User Says Thank You to gpz1100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gpz1100 Ad-Free
30th January 2017, 09:51 AM |#4  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100

No need for the above.

Just drop the mp3 into the internal storage/records folder. It'll show up under the recordings tab in the selector.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...12&postcount=8

Of course you can mate
But, some people, like me, don't want them.to show up in records folder. Ringtones are supposed to be in the right folder, like with other phones, and not under record folder. But if you're happy with this that's OK
30th January 2017, 05:30 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 494

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raystef66

Of course you can mate
But, some people, like me, don't want them.to show up in records folder. Ringtones are supposed to be in the right folder, like with other phones, and not under record folder. But if you're happy with this that's OK

I can honestly count on one finger how many times I've recorded something on a phone within the last year. So records folder is good enough for now for custom media sounds. Messing with the /system will cause issues when doing a firmware update. In fact, if you ever need to reflash the /system, anything you've put in it will be gone. This way /system stays intact.

Maybe they'll get this sorted in the next update.
30th January 2017, 08:20 PM |#6  
Flag

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100

I can honestly count on one finger how many times I've recorded something on a phone within the last year. So records folder is good enough for now for custom media sounds. Messing with the /system will cause issues when doing a firmware update. In fact, if you ever need to reflash the /system, anything you've put in it will be gone. This way /system stays intact.

Maybe they'll get this sorted in the next update.

Glad you mentioned it : maybe they'll get this...
I hope so but I don't think so. It's just the way ZTE thinks....
Of course you can as for now put your rings and other stuff in records but that's not the way it should be. Records are records, ringtones are...
As for messing up a phone when you put some rings etc in your system is a little bit exaggerated no That's just the way I like it. To exploit my phone.
And when I should loose my ringtones when reflashing a rom of some kind, I can put those back in a minute. Just import my favorites from Google Drive and basta. 1minute of work.
But... as you mentioned it : hope they will fix this...
29th June 2017, 03:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can someone please send me the stock sounds?
29th June 2017, 04:22 PM |#8  
Flag

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durmelo

Can someone please send me the stock sounds?

Here you are : the A2017 G - SYSTEM STOCK SOUNDS
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298967887
The Following User Says Thank You to raystef66 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raystef66 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)