ZTE Axon 9 Pro! For real though now!

Search This thread

kountry83

Mar 5, 2011
Baytown
The New ZTE Axon 9 Pro! Global/China

What do you think of the new design and specs?

zte-axon-9-pro-3.jpg

ZTE Axon 9 Pro(A2019-Pro) Specifications​
Display​
6.21-inch AMOLED Notch full screen, 18.7:9, FHD+ (1080×2248), HDR 10
SOC+GPU
Qualcomm snapdragon 845 (SDM845), Kryo 385 eight-core: 4 × 2.649GHz + 4 × 1.7GHz , 10nm process
RAM+Storage
6GB RAM + 64GB ROM
8GB RAM + 256GB ROM
2TB external Micro SD card compatible
Front camera
20MP, smart beauty, face unlock, f/2.0
Rear camera
12MP, 1.4um, optical image stabilization, dual pixel focus, f/1.75 + 20MP 130 degree wide wide angle
Audio
Dual stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos HiFi;
Battery
4000mAh, QC4.0 fast charge, support wireless charging
Network
TDD-LTE: B34/38/39/40/41 (100MHz);
FDD-LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25 /26/28/32;
TD-SCDMA: B34/39;
WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8;
CDMA 1X/EVDO: BC0/1/10;
GSM: B2/3/5/8
Wireless connection
802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5GHz, support 2×2 MIMO; Bluetooth 5.0;
GPS
GPS/A-GPS/Beidou/GLONASS/Galileo
System Platform
MiFavor 6.0 (based on Android 8.0)
Interface
USB Type-C, nano SIM card + nano SIM card / Micro SD card three choice two
Sensors
Gravitational acceleration, light / close, an electronic compass, a gyroscope, a hall, the RGB color temperature sensor;
positioning;
Safety
Built-in independent encryption chip, can be customized to support dual system, the NFC identification card; IP68 protection level; Other professional image processing chip; back fingerprint
Dimensions
156.5 × 74.5 × 7.9mm​

ZTE Axon 9 Pro(A2019G-Pro) Specifications​
Display
6.21-inch AMOLED
2,248 x 1,080 resolution
18.7:9 aspect ratio
SoC
10nm, 64-bit, octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
GPU
Adreno 630
RAM
6GB
Storage
128GB UFS 2.1
Non-expandable
Cameras
Rear:
Main camera: 12MP sensor, f/1.75 aperture, 1.4 micron pixels, OIS
Secondary camera: 20MP super wide-angle sensor (130 degree field of view)
Front: 20MP sensor
Audio
Stereo speakers, surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology
No headphone jack
Surround sound recording with three microphones
Battery
4,000mAh battery
Non-removable
Wireless charging
IP rating
IP68
Connectivity
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz)
2x2 MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0
USB Type-C
NFC
SIM
Single nano-SIM
Software
Android 8.1 Oreo with ZTE "Stock plus"
Dimensions
156.5 x 74.5 x 7.9mm​

Here is some real proof of the anticipated voyage!
Links for grabs:

Engaget gets hands on with video and specs
https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/30/zte-axon-9-pro-hands-on/

Chinese news forum proof
http://www.myzte.cn/thread-353357-1-1.html

Courtesy of Pocketnow
https://pocketnow.com/zte-axon-9-ifa-2018

Phone Arena
Leaked Ad! Hope not?!
https://www.phonearena.com/news/zte-axon-9-pro-ifa-announcement-official-product-image_id108031

More info to come as it goes further...

Last edited:

Choose an username...

Oct 16, 2016
No headphone jack, no DAC, no front speakers, ugly generic design. No thanks. If this is true, then I'm not buying the new line of Axons. I'm sticking with my 7 until it dies, unless these leaks are a lie and has all of the above, and buying the new oneplus lineup
Where did you get the 'no headphone jack, no DAC' part? They don't say anything about that. I don't believe they will abandon those two since every Axon (not sure about the C2017, but all of the others, Axon, Axon Pro, and all of those) had the AK4490.
I've read from different pages and they don't mention a thing about audio.

Besides that, there is one thing that I love about the design. The S8, OP5T, Mate 10 pro, they all have that useless chin below, and they just add on-screen buttons. The perfect solution is either an IPhone-like screen and navbar buttons below (like an upside-down Mi Mix) or capacitive buttons on the chin just like this one (Or at least the fingerprint sensor there, like the regular Mate 10, then add fingerprint gestures).

Reactions: JackTheBest

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S9
Where did you get the 'no headphone jack, no DAC' part? They don't say anything about that. I don't believe they will abandon those two since every Axon (not sure about the C2017, but all of the others, Axon, Axon Pro, and all of those) had the AK4490.
I've read from different pages and they don't mention a thing about audio.

Besides that, there is one thing that I love about the design. The S8, OP5T, Mate 10 pro, they all have that useless chin below, and they just add on-screen buttons. The perfect solution is either an IPhone-like screen and navbar buttons below (like an upside-down Mi Mix) or capacitive buttons on the chin just like this one (Or at least the fingerprint sensor there, like the regular Mate 10, then add fingerprint gestures).
The renders lack a headphone jack it seems, andl especially because of the screen. No headphone jack, no DAC

Choose an username...

Oct 16, 2016
The renders lack a headphone jack it seems, andl especially because of the screen. No headphone jack, no DAC
I see a very tiny imperfection on the top of the phone. Look carefully there.
Plus many bezel-less phones have a headphone jack. take the s8/s9/note8 for example. i think the OP5T also has one. Apple said it was to get more space but in reality I don't think you have a lack of space on a 6" device

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S9
I see a very tiny imperfection on the top of the phone. Look carefully there.
Plus many bezel-less phones have a headphone jack. take the s8/s9/note8 for example. i think the OP5T also has one. Apple said it was to get more space but in reality I don't think you have a lack of space on a 6" device

That looks too small for a headphone jack doesn't it? Very low quality pictures though...I think it might be a mic hole. If it's not up there, then I hope it's at the bottom. I just hope it doesn't have the speakers at the back side. Everything else is fine but it doesnt have the things that made the Axon 7 popular in the first place. I even remember taking a survey provided by ZTE from Newegg where I bought the phone about a few months asking me what I would want to find in a new Axon phone. A lot of the questions asked about the speakers and audio.

It makes me believe it's either some other phone in the Axon line, since the CEO mentioned there will be three Axon tiers. Tier A, B and C and maybe this could be that "midrange B" tier .

Then that makes the one with speakers, headphone jack, and a DAC the flagship Tier A pricing over $600 to $700

Which just doesn't make sense from a company like ZTE when there are so many over marketed phones in that price range like the Galaxies, people will choose those over this one simply because of how many people are familiar with a company like Samsung or even a Google device like the Pixel lines.

Reactions: adrianmkr

Choose an username...

Oct 16, 2016
That looks too small for a headphone jack doesn't it? Very low quality pictures though...I think it might be a mic hole. If it's not up there, then I hope it's at the bottom. I just hope it doesn't have the speakers at the back side. Everything else is fine but it doesnt have the things that made the Axon 7 popular in the first place. I even remember taking a survey provided by ZTE from Newegg where I bought the phone about a few months asking me what I would want to find in a new Axon phone. A lot of the questions asked about the speakers and audio.

It makes me believe it's either some other phone in the Axon line, since the CEO mentioned there will be three Axon tiers. Tier A, B and C and maybe this could be that "midrange B" tier .

Then that makes the one with speakers, headphone jack, and a DAC the flagship Tier A pricing over $600 to $700

Which just doesn't make sense from a company like ZTE when there are so many over marketed phones in that price range like the Galaxies, people will choose those over this one simply because of how many people are familiar with a company like Samsung or even a Google device like the Pixel lines.

It's not small at all. Notice how the whole side of the phone has a frame. Our phone has a very rounded back, that's why it's so noticeable in the axon 7. But that phone has a frame, so the jack is much less noticeable. just look at it some time and you'll see that it has just the right size to be a 3.5mm jack.

They may have gotten rid of the front firing speakers. I personally don't care, I bought it for everything else - if it came out with a reasonable price (say, $500 - 550) i wouldn't think twice.

Reactions: Jaredsk74

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S9
It's not small at all. Notice how the whole side of the phone has a frame. Our phone has a very rounded back, that's why it's so noticeable in the axon 7. But that phone has a frame, so the jack is much less noticeable. just look at it some time and you'll see that it has just the right size to be a 3.5mm jack.

They may have gotten rid of the front firing speakers. I personally don't care, I bought it for everything else - if it came out with a reasonable price (say, $500 - 550) i wouldn't think twice.

You might be right, but time will tell. Hopefully soon more leaks come or they'll announce it. I like the front speakers, but if the price range is say more than 500-600, i may as well get another better phone with that price range. I'm picky, it must have front speakers for me :D I take advantage of them all the time.

Reactions: adrianmkr

cyborgshogun

Jul 3, 2010
I honestly hope they don't omit, what was in most people's opinion, the best part of the Axon 7: incredible front facing speakers. If they fail to include them they are going to lose a huge part of the Axon following. I definitely won't be buying it without them.

J0nhy

Jan 22, 2016
I would like to see a desing with no hardware buttons, and a bigger screen :3

Elgsdyr

Dec 31, 2016
I too bought the Axon 7 for the front facing stereo speakers alone. Without them I might as well have bought a OnePlus phone. I'd rather have some sort of gesture-based navigation system (like on the iPhone X or like OnePlus is experimenting with) than losing the stereo speakers...

HallOfPromise

Feb 28, 2011
I'm a huge fan of the front stereo speakers. It was one of my main attractions to the Axon 7. Not sure about this new one.

And even though it's pretty cool that the fingerprint ready is under the display, I personally like the placement on the back. I can unlock it with only one hand when it's on the back, rather than one hand holding the phone and the other to unlock.

Ugh, this doesn't look like an upgrade at all. It's a completely different phone. They might as well give this a different name all together. I mean, it looks very nice and all, don't get me wrong. But to me, an Axon is all about the speakers and sound! If this is truly the next Axon I am very disappointed.

Reactions: troy5890

emepher

Jul 28, 2010
LG V50 ThinQ
I'm a huge fan of the front stereo speakers. It was one of my main attractions to the Axon 7. Not sure about this new one.

And even though it's pretty cool that the fingerprint ready is under the display, I personally like the placement on the back. I can unlock it with only one hand when it's on the back, rather than one hand holding the phone and the other to unlock.

I agree with a lot of this:
  • The fingerprint scanner placement on the Axon 7 is perfect - my index finger goes right there automatically and I like unlocking with one hand.
  • The audio capabilities were a big deal to me, both the relatively loud front-facing speakers and the good DAC. And I require a headphone jack (and microSD).
  • The price was also a big factor for me - $350 (6 mo. or so after launch) vs $500+ for most comparable phones.

If the Axon 9 changes these things, I see little reason for me to buy it, even though I've been very happy with my first ZTE device. I'll stick with my Axon 7 for a while longer, and upgrade to something that fits my preferences better when the time comes. Not a deal breaker for me, but the Axon 9 pics I've seen make it look generic and kind of cheap.
Slimmer bezels are always a good idea, but I'd rather keep the 5.5" screen and make the casing smaller than keep the same size casing and grow the screen to fit it. That would allow me to use the phone much more comfortably with one hand

Last edited:
Reactions: raystef66
I don't see anything in that article that is written in stone. The images are so low res that they could be a total computer generated mock up and even if the leaked specs are correct, they are very vague at best. Although would be very interesting to have an under-screen fingerprint scanner!

One thing I have learned over the years is to take all mobile phone leaks with a massive pinch of salt. Best bet... just wait and see! April is not far away and besides, we still have one, if not thee best bang for buck smartphone on the market even after being released 2016. All the big smartphone manufacturers would have EOL'ed a device by now but not ZTE.

Sent from my ZTE A2017 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No headphone jack, no DAC, no front speakers, ugly generic design. No thanks. If this is true, then I'm not buying the new line of Axons. I'm sticking with my 7 until it dies, unless these leaks are a lie and has all of the above, and buying the new oneplus lineup
    The New ZTE Axon 9 Pro! Global/China

What do you think of the new design and specs?

zte-axon-9-pro-3.jpg

ZTE Axon 9 Pro(A2019-Pro) Specifications​
    Display​
    6.21-inch AMOLED Notch full screen, 18.7:9, FHD+ (1080×2248), HDR 10
    SOC+GPU
    Qualcomm snapdragon 845 (SDM845), Kryo 385 eight-core: 4 × 2.649GHz + 4 × 1.7GHz , 10nm process
    RAM+Storage
    6GB RAM + 64GB ROM
    8GB RAM + 256GB ROM
    2TB external Micro SD card compatible
    Front camera
    20MP, smart beauty, face unlock, f/2.0
    Rear camera
    12MP, 1.4um, optical image stabilization, dual pixel focus, f/1.75 + 20MP 130 degree wide wide angle
    Audio
    Dual stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos HiFi;
    Battery
    4000mAh, QC4.0 fast charge, support wireless charging
    Network
    TDD-LTE: B34/38/39/40/41 (100MHz);
    FDD-LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25 /26/28/32;
    TD-SCDMA: B34/39;
    WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8;
    CDMA 1X/EVDO: BC0/1/10;
    GSM: B2/3/5/8
    Wireless connection
    802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5GHz, support 2×2 MIMO; Bluetooth 5.0;
    GPS
    GPS/A-GPS/Beidou/GLONASS/Galileo
    System Platform
    MiFavor 6.0 (based on Android 8.0)
    Interface
    USB Type-C, nano SIM card + nano SIM card / Micro SD card three choice two
    Sensors
    Gravitational acceleration, light / close, an electronic compass, a gyroscope, a hall, the RGB color temperature sensor;
    positioning;
    Safety
    Built-in independent encryption chip, can be customized to support dual system, the NFC identification card; IP68 protection level; Other professional image processing chip; back fingerprint
    Dimensions
    156.5 × 74.5 × 7.9mm​

ZTE Axon 9 Pro(A2019G-Pro) Specifications​
    Display
    6.21-inch AMOLED
    2,248 x 1,080 resolution
    18.7:9 aspect ratio
    SoC
    10nm, 64-bit, octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
    GPU
    Adreno 630
    RAM
    6GB
    Storage
    128GB UFS 2.1
    Non-expandable
    Cameras
    Rear:
    Main camera: 12MP sensor, f/1.75 aperture, 1.4 micron pixels, OIS
    Secondary camera: 20MP super wide-angle sensor (130 degree field of view)
    Front: 20MP sensor
    Audio
    Stereo speakers, surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology
    No headphone jack
    Surround sound recording with three microphones
    Battery
    4,000mAh battery
    Non-removable
    Wireless charging
    IP rating
    IP68
    Connectivity
    Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz)
    2x2 MIMO
    Bluetooth 5.0
    USB Type-C
    NFC
    SIM
    Single nano-SIM
    Software
    Android 8.1 Oreo with ZTE "Stock plus"
    Dimensions
    156.5 x 74.5 x 7.9mm​

Here is some real proof of the anticipated voyage!
    Links for grabs:

Engaget gets hands on with video and specs
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/30/zte-axon-9-pro-hands-on/

Chinese news forum proof
    http://www.myzte.cn/thread-353357-1-1.html

Courtesy of Pocketnow
    https://pocketnow.com/zte-axon-9-ifa-2018

Phone Arena
    Leaked Ad! Hope not?!
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/zte-axon-9-pro-ifa-announcement-official-product-image_id108031

More info to come as it goes further...
    If they just stuck an SD845 in the 6Gb/128Gb Chinese Axon 7, throw in an IR blaster and manage a 3700mah battery, Oreo with Treble support and keep price down, it would smash the sales. Not a lot of effort needed and would be praised up.

Edit: Forgot to add, update to better cameras.
    If any ZTE employer is reading this, this is what I think would be the best.
    Keep the base specs the same as the Axon 7.
    Swap the SD820 for the 845, up the ram to 6GB base.
    Upgrade the camera to a better single or dual lens setup.
    Upgrade the battery to a 4000mah one.
    Add IP68 protection.
    Maybe check if a better amoled panel is being produced and upgrade to that, although I really like the current one to be honest.
    And done, perfect device to upgrade to.
    This must be a bad joke:
    - No HiFI DAC
    - No Headphones jack
    - A step back in screen resolution (bye bye QHD)
    - No SDCard
    - Single SIM card
    - Rear speakers!!??

Axon 9 is not going to be as special and unique as the Axon 7 is. I am now very happy with the Axon 7, no need to change at this time. Xiaomi Poco looks nicer than this joke and it is only $300.