FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Offical Smart Flip case

195 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By CharlesW123, Senior Member on 2nd December 2015, 02:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all fellow Priv'ers
Just thought I'd share my experience now that I finally got the official smart flip case.

First impressions are it's a premium case, with real leather finish and doesn't bulk out the Priv too much and feels really nice to the touch.
What's really great about it is the 'smart' functionality, which basically means that when fitted and the case closed what you get is a square cut out on the front that displays the time etc. when the power switch is pressed and the case is closed. It also shows recent missed calls, emails, notifications, etc. on screen and allows you to flick up and view the details of the notifications without having to open the case, so very handy allowing you to quickly see what notification has come through. The case also has a cut out where the notification light is (top right) so that lights up still and is noticeable even with the case closed.

I paid around £25 GBP on Ebay for mine, from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/BRAND..._qi=RTM2108002

The case retails for £45 GBP officially, so a bit of a bargain.
I can get some pics uploaded of it in action if anyone's interested as not seen anything posted anywhere else about the case.

2nd December 2015, 02:21 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
FYI the plastic slider "hard" case is cheap plastic, it does fit the phone well but makes it too wide to fit into the leather slip-in pouch and personally I find it feels tacky.
Happy with the leather slip-in pouch, tight fit and it has holes in the right places for charging and notification lights.
2nd December 2015, 05:19 PM |#3  
Flag Bristol, PA
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlin

FYI the plastic slider "hard" case is cheap plastic, it does fit the phone well but makes it too wide to fit into the leather slip-in pouch and personally I find it feels tacky.
Happy with the leather slip-in pouch, tight fit and it has holes in the right places for charging and notification lights.

I agree with you that plastic seemed like a bad move and should have been some aircraft grade aluminum or something. That said, I think the added width and thickness make it easier to type on the physical keyboard because some of the keys are no longer on the edge and I also don't trust myself to drop it outside of the pocket pouch and it only takes once.

Also, I found a guy on esty selling handmade leather Priv pouches in various leather colors for less than the OEM pouch. I contacted him with my new Priv dimensions with hardshell and he said he had no problem with the custom order.

I think if it's a night on the town, I might use the phone naked with OEM pouch but everyday use, I'm going with hardshell with custom pouch.

here are a couple pics of his work:
2nd December 2015, 05:21 PM |#4  
Flag Bristol, PA
Thanks Meter: 102

More
pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1449076865773.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	3562742   Click image for larger version

Name:	1449076879926.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	3562743  
3rd December 2015, 06:19 PM |#5  
Flag Wiltshire UK
Thanks Meter: 272

More
I've got both the tan smart flip and blue slider brand new boxed if anyone wants them. Just pm me and I'll do a good price in the UK. Both unused because I returned the Priv before use. I really didn't think it was an upgrade over my note 4 after using it for just over a week. Since I've bought the note 5 which is amazing.
9th December 2015, 07:04 PM |#6  
Flag Eastbourne
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Can I have a pics of them? Im interested.
10th December 2015, 09:02 AM |#7  
Flag Wiltshire UK
Thanks Meter: 272

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ9KFX

Can I have a pics of them? Im interested.

pm'd
31st December 2015, 01:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesW123

Hi all fellow Priv'ers
Just thought I'd share my experience now that I finally got the official smart flip case.

First impressions are it's a premium case, with real leather finish and doesn't bulk out the Priv too much and feels really nice to the touch.
What's really great about it is the 'smart' functionality, which basically means that when fitted and the case closed what you get is a square cut out on the front that displays the time etc. when the power switch is pressed and the case is closed. It also shows recent missed calls, emails, notifications, etc. on screen and allows you to flick up and view the details of the notifications without having to open the case, so very handy allowing you to quickly see what notification has come through. The case also has a cut out where the notification light is (top right) so that lights up still and is noticeable even with the case closed.

The slider case is a bit tacky for sure - but, does protect the phone very well, though the amount of bulk added is substantial. I received both the Priv and the case together so never really used the phone naked. Couple of days ago I was showing the phone to a friend and he asked me to take it out of the case. I must say I was surprised myself at how compact the Priv really is - not just for a device with a full Qwerty keyboard, for any phone, Blackberry have done extremely well in putting all in such a small package.

The flip case looks quite nice - how easy do you find it to use the sliding keyboard with it?. does it require flipping the front cover to the back??.
4th January 2016, 02:09 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sheffield, UK

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RizSher

The slider case is a bit tacky for sure - but, does protect the phone very well, though the amount of bulk added is substantial. I received both the Priv and the case together so never really used the phone naked. Couple of days ago I was showing the phone to a friend and he asked me to take it out of the case. I must say I was surprised myself at how compact the Priv really is - not just for a device with a full Qwerty keyboard, for any phone, Blackberry have done extremely well in putting all in such a small package.

The flip case looks quite nice - how easy do you find it to use the sliding keyboard with it?. does it require flipping the front cover to the back??.

Cool, yes the flip case (which is very slim too) needs flipping/opening to allow access to the keyboard but as the front is super slim (maybe 3-4mm) once opened it tucks behind fine so using the keyboard is not hampered at all.
25th January 2016, 08:43 PM |#10  
Flag Eastbourne
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Do you have any issues with them?
My got something like wrinkles on it and start ripping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160123-WA0002.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	3622158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160123-WA0001.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	3622159  
26th January 2016, 08:07 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sheffield, UK

More
Also have the wrinkling on the outside of the hinge area, guess it's not the most robust leather they used huh! :-/

Sent from my STV100-4 using XDA Premium HD app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
blackberry priv, smart case

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)