[Guide][Marshmallow] Android 6.0 official update for Micromax Canvas A1 (AQ4501)

Search This thread

sziraqui

Dec 2, 2014
Mumbai
www.facebook.com
Update: SPFlashTool flashable Marshmallow firmware file is now available. Build MOB30N.
OTA links are already there on xda, but here was no specific thread for Canvas A1 so i am writing one

Google has released the OTA files for Canvas A1 and other android one devices.
NOTE: To update your phone using OTA files your phone should be running Stock lollipop or atleast stock recovery. (Not applicable if using sp flash tool)
If you are running a custom rom or custom recovery then before proceeding to this guide you must revert back to stock lollipop using sp flash tool

Pre-requisites: 1.Your phone should be atleast 60% charged
2. Back up all important data (just to be safe)

Canvas A1 users can easily update their device by following method(s)

Method 1 (the usual method):

Step 1: Download the official Marshmallow OTA file from here https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/google_aq4501sprout_aq4501/dc78fbefaf5f69cc4754751251d9ece094bc96e6.signed-sprout-mmx-MRA58M-from-LMY48M.zip

Step 2: Connect your smartphone to computer using the original USB cable.

Step 3: Copy and paste the OTA zip files to phone's storage and make a note of its location.

Step 4: Boot your smartphone into recovery mode or stock recovery: Disconnect the phone from computer, and then turn it off.

Press and hold both the Volume and the Power buttons until the display turns on and enters bootloader mode.
Hit the volume button to open the Recovery menu and then press the power button to select it. Your phone should now boot into recovery mode.
At this moment, a dead Android with an exclamation mark should appear on the screen. Now press and hold Power button for three seconds and then hit the Volume up button once to progress into recovery mode.
Step 5: Return to the main recovery screen and choose 'install update from sdcard'.

Step 6: Then select the OTA zip file using the volume buttons for navigation and the Power button to select any file or open a folder. After you select the zip file, confirm its installation and the update should start installing on your device.

Step 7: Once the installation is done, return to main screen of recovery. Choose Reboot system now to restart the phone and boot into the newly installed Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA update from Google.

Voila!! You are running official Android 6.0 :laugh:

Method 2 (using sp flash tool, best method)

This method can be used even if you are running a custom rom. You can also use this method to unbrick Micromax Canvas A1.
;)
Pre-requisites: Windows computer, USB cable, and most important "patience".

Step 1:
a) Download micromax driver.{thanks to @mohsin.r.munshi}
Extract its content, you will find an .exe file inside a folder "driver9401". Disable your antivirus and run the .exe file as administrator. (If you are using 64-bit windows, you will need to "disable driver signature enforcement". Google it)
b) Download SP Flash tool from my mediafire or from its official website. Extract it to any folder
c) Download SPflashTool flashable Marshmallow firmware . Extract the zip file. You will see the following files in it (similar not exact)
scatterfile.PNG

Note the location of MT6582_Android_scatter.txt file

Step2: Goto the folder where you have extracted sp flash tool. Run flash_tool.exe
spflashtoolexe.PNG

Step 3: In sp flash tool, Click on "scatter loading". Then locate and select "MT6582_Android_scatter.txt". SP Flash tool will load all firmware files from the folder where you have extracted the OTA files.

Step 4: Power off your phone. And REMOVE the battery. Now on SP flash tool, click on "Download".
(refer to screenshots given on this website. Ignore the steps given on this website, just refer screenshots)

Step 5: (pay attention to every word) Connect USB cable to your phone only. Then Press and HOLD volume down button and insert the other end of USB cable to your pc. Flashing will start automatically. Wait till you see "OK" message on your pc.

Step 6: Once you see "OK" message, disconnect your phone and reinsert your phone's battery. Turn ON your phone. The first boot will take longer than usual.

Congo! You just updated/unbricked your Micromax Canvas A1.

Feel free to post comments for any doubts and errors ;)

Attachments

• rom_files_list.PNG
    rom_files_list.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 5,783
Last edited:

gd5121995

Feb 8, 2016
My canvas a1 software has been damaged, and it shows an error while installing update from sd card , so how do I can solve this problem ???? Please reply fast........

GughanRk

Jun 9, 2014
Karur
Hi.. I'm on CM13 now. But I don't have mobile data for some reason. So I want to flash stock ROM. But last time I tried flashing stock, it wiped my IMEI numbers. Luckily my warranty status was somehow reset. So I had to get the phone replaced. Does this have a chance to cause the same problem (wipe my IMEI numbers)??

sziraqui

Dec 2, 2014
Mumbai
www.facebook.com
Hi.. I'm on CM13 now. But I don't have mobile data for some reason. So I want to flash stock ROM. But last time I tried flashing stock, it wiped my IMEI numbers. Luckily my warranty status was somehow reset. So I had to get the phone replaced. Does this have a chance to cause the same problem (wipe my IMEI numbers)??

sp flastool wipes userdata only, you wont loose your imei using spft.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZenFreak

sziraqui

Dec 2, 2014
Mumbai
www.facebook.com
Realy sorry to say this, but I lost my IMEI using SP Flashtools only. Check this thread.. There are a lot of other users facing the same problem.
And SN Write Tool method didn't help me get my IMEI back.. So I want to be really sure before flashing this time

In that case, i would suggest you to take a backup of your imei data using MTK Droid tool. Also copy your nvram folder straight from your phone to as many external storages as you can. Nvram (imei data) somehow becomes unrecognised after downgrading some phones.
Solution:
1. Use MTK droid tool to restore it from a previous backup.
or
2. locate nvram folder ( /data/nvram, correct me if i m wrong) DELETE it. Then paste a copy of your nvram folder that you copied when imei was not lost. DONT chmod. You will most probably get your network working (ensure that sim card was PRSENT and Radios were ON during this copy paste) within few seconds. I did this to restore imei on galaxy s4.

well, i have flashed 9 different mediatek phones using spflashtool, didnt lose imei in any.

Last edited:

GughanRk

Jun 9, 2014
Karur
In that case, i would suggest you to take a backup of your imei data using MTK Droid tool. Also copy your nvram folder straight from your phone to as many external storages as you can. Nvram (imei data) somehow becomes unrecognised after downgrading some phones.
Solution:
or
2. locate nvram folder ( /data/nvram, correct me if i m wrong) DELETE it. Then paste a copy of your nvram folder that you copied when imei was not lost. DONT chmod. You will most probably get your network working (ensure that sim card was PRSENT and Radios were during this copy paste) within few seconds. I did this to restore imei on galaxy s4.

well, i have flashed 9 different mediatek phones using spflashtool, didnt lose imei in any.

Thanks! I'll post an update when I come around to flashing the stock ROM. Don't have the time now.

ravipreet23

Mar 30, 2016
Micromax android one got hang at marshmallow logo.

My micromax android one got stuck at marshmallow logo. I tried to flash lollipop using SP flash as mention above in method 2. I connect my phone . My phone is successfully detected by my PC. But SP flash show no progress. why??? I follow all steps very carefully. Or is it not possible to install lollipop if your phone already has marshmallow?

sziraqui

Dec 2, 2014
Mumbai
www.facebook.com
My micromax android one got stuck at marshmallow logo. I tried to flash lollipop using SP flash as mention above in method 2. I connect my phone . My phone is successfully detected by my PC. But SP flash show no progress. why??? I follow all steps very carefully. Or is it not possible to install lollipop if your phone already has marshmallow?
That means your phone was not detected. Power off your phone. Load scatter file and then click on download button on so flashtool. Put one end of USB cable to your phone. Hold volume down and simultaneously put other end of USB cable to computer. If its connected, the progress bar at bottom will show progress. I am assuming you have installed all drivers.

I hope this helps.

sziraqui

Dec 2, 2014
Mumbai
www.facebook.com
That means your phone was not detected. Power off your phone. Load scatter file and then click on download button on so flashtool. Put one end of USB cable to your phone. Hold volume down and simultaneously put other end of USB cable to computer. If its connected, the progress bar at bottom will show progress. I am assuming you have installed all drivers.

I hope this helps.

ravipreet23

Mar 30, 2016

I hope this helps.

I have installed all drivers as my pc detect my mobile as i can see in device manager. I perform all steps that you mention but SP flash player show nothings. CAn you tell me can i flash Lollipop stock rom on my android one which is running marshmallow previously. I cant find marshmallow stock rom thats why i have to flash lollipop stock rom??

MayankGupta

Mar 27, 2015
OTA links are already there on xda, but here was no specific thread for Canvas A1 so i am writing one

NOTE: To update your phone using OTA files your phone should be running Stock lollipop or atleast stock recovery. (Not applicable if using sp flash tool)
If you are running a custom rom or custom recovery then before proceeding to this guide you must revert back to stock lollipop using sp flash tool

Step 1: Download the official Marshmallow OTA file from here https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/google_aq4501sprout_aq4501/dc78fbefaf5f69cc4754751251d9ece094bc96e6.signed-sprout-mmx-MRA58M-from-LMY48M.zip

Step 3: Copy and paste the OTA zip files to phone's storage and make a note of its location.

Step 4: Boot your smartphone into recovery mode or stock recovery: Disconnect the phone from computer, and then turn it off.

Press and hold both the Volume and the Power buttons until the display turns on and enters bootloader mode.
Hit the volume button to open the Recovery menu and then press the power button to select it. Your phone should now boot into recovery mode.
At this moment, a dead Android with an exclamation mark should appear on the screen. Now press and hold Power button for three seconds and then hit the Volume up button once to progress into recovery mode.
Step 5: Return to the main recovery screen and choose 'install update from sdcard'.

Step 6: Then select the OTA zip file using the volume buttons for navigation and the Power button to select any file or open a folder. After you select the zip file, confirm its installation and the update should start installing on your device.

Step 7: Once the installation is done, return to main screen of recovery. Choose Reboot system now to restart the phone and boot into the newly installed Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA update from Google.

This method can be used even if you are running a custom rom. You can also use this method to unbrick Micromax Canvas A1.
;)

Step 1:
Extract its content, you will find an .exe file inside a folder "driver9401". Disable your antivirus and run the .exe file as administrator. (If you are using 64-bit windows, you will need to "disable driver signature enforcement". Google it)
b) Download SP Flash tool from my mediafire or from its official website. Extract it to any folder
c) Extract the the contents of factory image. [Edit: sp flashtool flashable Android 6.0 is currently not available. I 'll add a link as soon as it is available. I wrote this too early, sorry. For now, if you are running a custom rom, flash official lollipop first and then use method 1 to update to marshmallow.].You will see the following files in it.
scatterfile.PNG

Note the location of MT6582_Android_scatter.txt

Step2: Goto the folder where you have extracted sp flash tool. Run flash_tool.exe
spflashtoolexe.PNG

Step 3: In sp flash tool, Click on "scatter loading". Then locate and select "MT6582_Android_scatter.txt". SP Flash tool will load all firmware files from the folder where you have extracted the OTA files.

Step 4: Power off your phone. And REMOVE the battery. Now on SP flash tool, click on "Download".
(refer to screenshots given on this website. Ignore the steps given on this website, just refer screenshots)

Step 5: (pay attention to every word) Connect USB cable to your phone only. Then Press and HOLD volume down button and insert the other end of USB cable to your pc. Flashing will start automatically. Wait till you see "OK" message on your pc.

Step 6: Once you see "OK" message, disconnect your phone and reinsert your phone's battery. Turn ON your phone. The first boot will take longer than usual.

BROM error : S_FT_DOWNLOAD_FAIL[4008]
Download to flash fail. Please press ctrl +alt +T to turn on debug log then reproduce again.
Hint- BROM_DLL_V5.log and BROM_DLL.log would be created and record more detail information.
It is showing this error what should i do.?
please reply fast sir.

Last edited:

sziraqui

Dec 2, 2014
Mumbai
www.facebook.com

BROM error : S_FT_DOWNLOAD_FAIL[4008]
Download to flash fail. Please press ctrl +alt +T to turn on debug log then reproduce again.
Hint- BROM_DLL_V5.log and BROM_DLL.log would be created and record more detail information.
It is showing this error what should i do.?
please reply fast sir.
I can help you if you provide me more details.
Which phone model you were dealing with? Which rom it it was running before? What were you exactly trying to achieve? Also if possible post the log files here.

KadirDvl

Dec 14, 2015
New Delhi
xposed

can i have xposed for cm13 marshmallow ?

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

can i have xposed for cm13 marshmallow ?

harsh.

Jul 3, 2015
Mumbai-dombivli
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: SPFlashTool flashable Marshmallow firmware file is now available. Build MOB30N.

;)

Step 1:
    c) Download SPflashTool flashable Marshmallow firmware . Extract the zip file. You will see the following files in it (similar not exact)
    scatterfile.PNG

Note the location of MT6582_Android_scatter.txt file

spflashtoolexe.PNG

Realy sorry to say this, but I lost my IMEI using SP Flashtools only. Check this thread.. There are a lot of other users facing the same problem.
    And SN Write Tool method didn't help me get my IMEI back.. So I want to be really sure before flashing this time

Solution:
    or
    2. locate nvram folder ( /data/nvram, correct me if i m wrong) DELETE it. Then paste a copy of your nvram folder that you copied when imei was not lost. DONT chmod. You will most probably get your network working (ensure that sim card was PRSENT and Radios were ON during this copy paste) within few seconds. I did this to restore imei on galaxy s4.

Hello Sir , I am Manjot , a porter and our team wants to port your marshmallow update to our mt6582 , Micromax unite 2 (a106) , but due to the ota update , We are unable to port . So , In order to port this ROM we want ota updated system folder of your device a1 . SO , ITS OUR HUMBLE REQUEST THAT YOU PLZ UPLOAD THE OTA UPDATED SYSTEM FOLDER OF YOUR DEVICE . YOUR NAME WILL BE SPECIALLY ADDED IN THE CREDITS AND DEVELOPMENT . ITS VERY IMPORTANT SIR . SO , PLZ UPLOAD ...
    :eek::eek::fingers-crossed::crying::crying::angel::angel:

Hey, the ota file in original post has the system folder, you don't need a system dump from someone's phone. You have everything needed to port M for mt6582. Go ahead.
    All the best ;)
    My canvas a1 software has been damaged, and it shows an error while installing update from sd card , so how do I can solve this problem ???? Please reply fast........

flash official lollipop rom using method 2 above

sp flastool wipes userdata only, you wont loose your imei using spft.