Who wants this?
- When you use Samsung stock ICS , a stock based ROM or sediROM
- AND: When you have enabled full device encryption
- AND: When you want to do a nandroid backup OR want to access your data from within TWRP
... then this TWRP version is for you! So maybe no one else then me needs this but as I thought it could be useful for others too I publish it here.
The reason having another TWRP version then the "mainstream" one is that the Team Win Recovery dev's had dropped support for the Samsung proprietary device encryption somewhen since v2.7.
Even TWRP v2.6 does not work without changes as well.
As I use sediROM as my daily driver and I like to have a valid nandroid backup I decided to build a version which can handle Samsung's device decryption.
I created a TWRP version which is the same then the one bubor made but it is able to decrypt any stock Samsung ICS ROM (or other stock based custom ROM's like sediROM).
Please keep in mind that the keyboard within TWRP is not the most responsive one. That said please ensure that you do not press the characters too fast because that can result in "password failed". Type it slow and char by char and it should work absolutely fine.
- Backup encrypted /data without entering decryption password ( = full Image of /data) - tested
- Backup encrypted /data with entered decryption password - tested
- Restore for both above methods - tested
- Decrypt /data - tested
- Decrypt /sdcard - tested
- adb shell - tested
- Mounting all available partitions - tested
- Installing sediROM (v1.7) - tested (partially working)
--> IMPORTANT HINT: I highly recommend to decrypt within ANDROID before (re)installing another ROM! The reason is when you NOT decrypt (cancel) when starting up TWRP and then install a custom ROM it will make /sdcard inaccessible! If you want to REMOVE all your data and also everything on /sdcard you can also cancel the decryption password in TWRP and then install a custom ROM like sediROM but afterwards when booting up Android /sdcard gets formatted so if that is not what you want decrypt within Android first. This does affect the "modify mode" of sediROM, too - well not all parts of it but I do not want to get into detail. I cannot recommend it - decrypt before modify is the better option believe me. All this will be fixed in sediROM and a bug was already filed.
- Using Modify Mode of sediROM (v1.7) after entered decryption password in TWRP - tested (partially working) - I cannot recommend it - decrypt before modify is the better option believe me. All this will be fixed in sediROM and a bug was already filed.
- Encrypt a backup file - tested
- Restoring an encrypted backup file - tested
- Date & Time correct - UTC by default (need 1 successful boot and correct set time in Android) - tested
- see available bug reports for this
Go to the "Download" section above.
sediTWRP will be provided as IMG file and as ODIN package. So you need either "heimdall", "adb" or Odin to flash.
I MAY will provide that sometime as flashable zip, too.
Example for using adb:
- boot up TWRP
- adb push sediTWRP_v126.96.36.199_sT-v1.0.22-ICS.img /tmp/
- adb shell "dd if=/tmp/sediTWRP_v188.8.131.52_sT-v1.0.22-ICS.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8"
- adb shell sync
- adb reboot recovery
Special thanks @bubor for the source device tree and his help in many questions.
TWRP with Samsung decryption support, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Captivate Glide
Source Code: https://github.com/xdajog/bootable_recovery_twrp_i927
Current Stable Version: v3.0.23
Stable Release Date: 2015-02-10
Current Beta Version: v2.5.8
Beta Release Date: 2015-02-09
Last Updated 2016-08-17