TWRP with Samsung decryption support

Search This thread

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
This is a special version of TWRP to be able to decrypt Samsung STOCK ROM's.

Who wants this?
  1. When you use Samsung stock ICS , a stock based ROM or sediROM
  2. AND: When you have enabled full device encryption
  3. AND: When you want to do a nandroid backup OR want to access your data from within TWRP

... then this TWRP version is for you! So maybe no one else then me needs this but as I thought it could be useful for others too I publish it here.

The reason having another TWRP version then the "mainstream" one is that the Team Win Recovery dev's had dropped support for the Samsung proprietary device encryption somewhen since v2.7.
Even TWRP v2.6 does not work without changes as well.
As I use sediROM as my daily driver and I like to have a valid nandroid backup I decided to build a version which can handle Samsung's device decryption.

In short:
I created a TWRP version which is the same then the one bubor made but it is able to decrypt any stock Samsung ICS ROM (or other stock based custom ROM's like sediROM).

Current state:
Please keep in mind that the keyboard within TWRP is not the most responsive one. That said please ensure that you do not press the characters too fast because that can result in "password failed". Type it slow and char by char and it should work absolutely fine.

• Backup encrypted /data without entering decryption password ( = full Image of /data) - tested
  • Backup encrypted /data with entered decryption password - tested
  • Restore for both above methods - tested
  • Decrypt /data - tested
  • Decrypt /sdcard - tested
  • adb shell - tested
  • Mounting all available partitions - tested
  • Installing sediROM (v1.7) - tested (partially working)
    --> IMPORTANT HINT: I highly recommend to decrypt within ANDROID before (re)installing another ROM! The reason is when you NOT decrypt (cancel) when starting up TWRP and then install a custom ROM it will make /sdcard inaccessible! If you want to REMOVE all your data and also everything on /sdcard you can also cancel the decryption password in TWRP and then install a custom ROM like sediROM but afterwards when booting up Android /sdcard gets formatted so if that is not what you want decrypt within Android first. This does affect the "modify mode" of sediROM, too - well not all parts of it but I do not want to get into detail. I cannot recommend it - decrypt before modify is the better option believe me. All this will be fixed in sediROM and a bug was already filed.
  • Using Modify Mode of sediROM (v1.7) after entered decryption password in TWRP - tested (partially working) - I cannot recommend it - decrypt before modify is the better option believe me. All this will be fixed in sediROM and a bug was already filed.
  • Encrypt a backup file - tested
  • Restoring an encrypted backup file - tested
  • Date & Time correct - UTC by default (need 1 successful boot and correct set time in Android) - tested

Known issues:

Download
Go to the "Download" section above.

Installation
sediTWRP will be provided as IMG file and as ODIN package. So you need either "heimdall", "adb" or Odin to flash.
I MAY will provide that sometime as flashable zip, too.

Example for using adb:
  1. boot up TWRP
  2. adb push sediTWRP_v2.6.3.0_sT-v1.0.22-ICS.img /tmp/
  3. adb shell "dd if=/tmp/sediTWRP_v2.6.3.0_sT-v1.0.22-ICS.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8"
  4. adb shell sync
  5. adb reboot recovery

Sources

Thanks
Special thanks @bubor for the source device tree and his help in many questions.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP with Samsung decryption support, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Captivate Glide

Contributors
xdajog, bubor
Source Code: https://github.com/xdajog/bootable_recovery_twrp_i927

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v3.0.23
Stable Release Date: 2015-02-10
Current Beta Version: v2.5.8
Beta Release Date: 2015-02-09

Created 2015-01-19
Last Updated 2016-08-17

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Known issues & FAQ

Known issues & FAQ

Is it possible to decrypt Cyanogenmod, AOSP based ROM's?
Obviously not. As this TWRP version uses Samsung's crypto libraries this will not work (well you could give it a try but I think the chances are at 0,1% that it would work).

Why is this such an old version?
The reason why I use v2.7 is that I do not need to patch many code here. v2.8 need to be fully patched to get it work so I do not know if I will do it. Maybe...

So what is the exact differences to TWRP by bubor?
In short: They are technical identical but when compiled sediTWRP will use all CRYPTO Flags needed to support Samsung decryption. To get this fully work I patched TWRP code related to decryption and proprietary Samsung crypto libraries have been included.
In detail: Check out the sources at Github (see OP - section "Sources")

Are there any known bugs?
Check out the Bug reports here

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Changelog

Changelog

Version naming convention is always:
Code:
sediTWRP [[U]sediTWRP-Version[/U]]-[Android version of the proprietary Samsung crypto libs]_v[TWRP-Version]

sediTWRP v3.0.23-ICS_v2.7.1.0

Please keep in mind that the keyboard within TWRP is not the most responsive one. That said please ensure that you do not press the characters too fast because that can result in "password failed". Type it slow and char by char and it should work absolutely fine.

I state this as the first stable version of sediTWRP because all main features are tested and working fine.
That means:
  • Backup encrypted /data without entering decryption password ( = full Image of /data) - tested
  • Decrypt /data - tested
  • adb shell - tested
  • Installing sediROM (v1.7) - tested
    --> IMPORTANT HINT: I highly recommend to decrypt within ANDROID before (re)installing another ROM! The reason is when you NOT decrypt (cancel) when starting up TWRP and then install a custom ROM it will make /sdcard inaccessible! If you want to REMOVE all your data and also everything on /sdcard you can also Cancel the decyption password in TWRP and then install a custom ROM like sediROM but afterwards when booting up Android /sdcard gets formatted so if that is not what you want decrypt within Android first. This does NOT affect the "modify mode" of sediROM - this will work when you decrypted within TWRP.
  • Using Modify Mode of sediROM (v1.7) after entered decryption password in TWRP - tested
  • Date & Time correct - UTC by default (need 1 successful boot and correct set time in Android) - tested

Fixes:
  • fix(!): decryption of /sdcard was not possible.
    The main reason/fix for this was that the code I taken from xdarklight is using aes-cbc-plain:sha1 as crypto parameters for the internal storage (/sdcard)! Well that is wrong. At least in the UCLJ3 Samsung crypto config /sdcard uses the same crypto parameters like for /data. Which means aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 ! I changed the parameter and it works like a charme now! Man that was driving me nuts..

Enhancements:
  • new: You can now fully decrypt ICS based Samsung stock ROMs with this version of TWRP!

Known issues:

To download go to the "Download" section above.

Previous versions:

sediTWRP v2.5.8-ICS_v2.7.1.0

Fixes:
  • fix(!): Restore hadn't worked (see bug report)
    This was fixed by using CM KK as compiling base (instead of ICS)
  • fix(!): sediROM installlation hadn't worked (see bug report)
  • fix: naming convention (sediTWRP version first)

Known issues:

Enhancements:
  • new: special recovery kernel compiled from source (sediKERNEL)
    It's main purpose is to be as have as less footprint as possible to have more space for the initial ramdisk.
    Check out the changeset @ github

Version naming convention was:
Code:
sediTWRP [[U]sediTWRP-Version[/U]]-[Android Codename]_v[TWRP-Version]

sediTWRP v2.7.1.0_v2.0.11-ICS
  • same as sT-v1.0.22-ICS but based on TWRP 2.7.1.0

sediTWRP v2.6.3.0_v1.0.22-ICS
  • added Samsung's Crypto libraries so decrypting /data is possible
  • some font cosmetics
  • changed version string to give a meaningful idea for what this TWRP version is for

Last edited:

organic2

Jan 19, 2012
Rasht - Iran
whats the diference of original TWRP by @bubor ?
whats exactly mean encryption & decription. i install, backup, and nandroid backup of my first rom fine. and no problem by v2.6 v2.7 2.8
why used this old version for develop?
----------------------------------------------------------------
please Make a recovery or odin flashable version after more stabler. ( i dont good feeling about adb & termnal Emulators Codes )

Last edited:
Reactions: reza.8.h

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
whats the diference of original TWRP by @bubor ?
whats exactly mean encryption & decription. i install, backup, and nandroid backup of my first rom fine. and no problem by v2.6 v2.7 2.8
why used this old version for develop?
----------------------------------------------------------------
please Make a recovery or odin flashable version after more stabler. ( i dont good feeling about adb & termnal Emulators Codes )

Open system settings - Security - Device Encryption. This will encrypt your device. Once it is encrypted it will be not possible to backup with twrp anymore.

The reason why I use v2.6 is that I do not need to patch the code here. I currrently develop on v2.7 which will be released soon. V2.8 need to be fully patched to get it work so I do not know if I will do it. Maybe.

-----
Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Android mobile app

Reactions: organic2

organic2

Jan 19, 2012
Rasht - Iran
Open system settings - Security - Device Encryption. This will encrypt your device. Once it is encrypted it will be not possible to backup with twrp anymore.

The reason why I use v2.6 is that I do not need to patch the code here. I currrently develop on v2.7 which will be released soon. V2.8 need to be fully patched to get it work so I do not know if I will do it. Maybe.

-----

1)
ahaaa! understand :eek:
ok. we dont need the v2.7 & 2.8 . this 2.6 version enough for us. becuse the v2.6 in enough for installing ics & jb roms. dont need 2.7 for stock ics. dont worry. Take it easy. Forget that...
thanks for you work :good:
-------------------------------------------------------
2)
Im fully backup by cwm from my stock GB rom!
i restored it 2 or 3 times fine. and fully worked.
the android v2.3 isnt encrypted? only ics encrypted and cant backup?

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
1)
ahaaa! understand :eek:
ok. we dont need the v2.7 & 2.8 . this 2.6 version enough for us. becuse the v2.6 in enough for installing ics & jb roms. dont need 2.7 for stock ics. dont worry. Take it easy. Forget that...
thanks for you work :good:
-------------------------------------------------------
2)
Im fully backup by cwm from my stock GB rom!
i restored it 2 or 3 times fine. and fully worked.
the android v2.3 isnt encrypted? only ics encrypted and cant backup?

I do not know if 2.3 can be encrypted but even with ICS you need to enable it manually. In Lollipop encryption will be enabled by default but not in gingerbread or Ics.

-----

Reactions: organic2

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
in the meanwhile:

sediTWRP v2.0 has been arrived (check out download section above).
-> based on TWRP v2.7.1 instead of 2.6.3

Decrypting /sdcard is still not possible yet.
I decided instead of merging to TWRP v2.8 the decryption of /sdcard will be my next focus now.

Greetings.

organic2

Jan 19, 2012
Rasht - Iran
What is exactly difrence of "backup by any encypted data" and "normaly full backup" ?
I used the normall mode and i dont have any problem
Whats difrence of my nandroid backup and your nanroid backup by default original twrp recovery

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
sediTWRP v2.5.8-ICS_v2.7.1.0 released today! (I switched from TESTING to BETA state from now on!)

It is highly recommended to upgrade to this version if you had installed a previous version of sediTWRP!

Fixes:

Known issues:

Enhancements:
    It's main purpose is to be as have as less footprint as possible to have more space for the initial ramdisk.

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
OMG! I can't believe it ... but I got it!
The first fully working version of sediTWRP released ! :victory: :highfive:

Have fun! :laugh: :victory:

I state this as the first stable version of sediTWRP because all main features are tested and working fine.
That means:
  • Decrypt /data - tested
  • adb shell - tested
    --> IMPORTANT HINT: I highly recommend to decrypt within ANDROID before (re)installing another ROM! The reason is when you NOT decrypt (cancel) when starting up TWRP and then install a custom ROM it will make /sdcard inaccessible! If you want to REMOVE all your data and also everything on /sdcard you can also Cancel the decyption password in TWRP and then install a custom ROM like sediROM but afterwards when booting up Android /sdcard gets formatted so if that is not what you want decrypt within Android first. This does NOT affect the "modify mode" of sediROM - this will work when you decrypted within TWRP.
  • Using Modify Mode of sediROM (v1.7) after entered decryption password in TWRP - tested

Fixes:
    The main reason/fix for this was that the code I taken from xdarklight is using aes-cbc-plain:sha1 as crypto parameters for the internal storage (/sdcard)! Well that is wrong. At least in the UCLJ3 Samsung crypto config /sdcard uses the same crypto parameters like for /data. Which means aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 ! I changed the parameter and it works like a charme now! Man that was driving me nuts..

Enhancements:
  • new: You can now fully decrypt ICS based Samsung stock ROMs with this version of TWRP!

Known issues:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a special version of TWRP to be able to decrypt Samsung STOCK ROM's.

Who wants this?
    1. When you use Samsung stock ICS , a stock based ROM or sediROM
    2. AND: When you have enabled full device encryption
    3. AND: When you want to do a nandroid backup OR want to access your data from within TWRP

... then this TWRP version is for you! So maybe no one else then me needs this but as I thought it could be useful for others too I publish it here.

The reason having another TWRP version then the "mainstream" one is that the Team Win Recovery dev's had dropped support for the Samsung proprietary device encryption somewhen since v2.7.
    Even TWRP v2.6 does not work without changes as well.
    As I use sediROM as my daily driver and I like to have a valid nandroid backup I decided to build a version which can handle Samsung's device decryption.

In short:
    I created a TWRP version which is the same then the one bubor made but it is able to decrypt any stock Samsung ICS ROM (or other stock based custom ROM's like sediROM).

Current state:

• Decrypt /data - tested
    • adb shell - tested
    • Installing sediROM (v1.7) - tested (partially working)
      --> IMPORTANT HINT: I highly recommend to decrypt within ANDROID before (re)installing another ROM! The reason is when you NOT decrypt (cancel) when starting up TWRP and then install a custom ROM it will make /sdcard inaccessible! If you want to REMOVE all your data and also everything on /sdcard you can also cancel the decryption password in TWRP and then install a custom ROM like sediROM but afterwards when booting up Android /sdcard gets formatted so if that is not what you want decrypt within Android first. This does affect the "modify mode" of sediROM, too - well not all parts of it but I do not want to get into detail. I cannot recommend it - decrypt before modify is the better option believe me. All this will be fixed in sediROM and a bug was already filed.
    • Using Modify Mode of sediROM (v1.7) after entered decryption password in TWRP - tested (partially working) - I cannot recommend it - decrypt before modify is the better option believe me. All this will be fixed in sediROM and a bug was already filed.

Known issues:

Download
    Go to the "Download" section above.

Installation
    sediTWRP will be provided as IMG file and as ODIN package. So you need either "heimdall", "adb" or Odin to flash.
    I MAY will provide that sometime as flashable zip, too.

Example for using adb:
    1. boot up TWRP
    2. adb push sediTWRP_v2.6.3.0_sT-v1.0.22-ICS.img /tmp/
    3. adb shell "dd if=/tmp/sediTWRP_v2.6.3.0_sT-v1.0.22-ICS.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8"
    4. adb shell sync
    5. adb reboot recovery

Sources

Thanks
    Special thanks @bubor for the source device tree and his help in many questions.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP with Samsung decryption support, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Captivate Glide

Contributors
    xdajog, bubor
    Source Code: https://github.com/xdajog/bootable_recovery_twrp_i927

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v3.0.23
    Stable Release Date: 2015-02-10
    Current Beta Version: v2.5.8
    Beta Release Date: 2015-02-09

Created 2015-01-19
    Last Updated 2016-08-17
    OMG! I can't believe it ... but I got it!
    The first fully working version of sediTWRP released ! :victory: :highfive:

Have fun! :laugh: :victory:

That means:
    • Decrypt /data - tested
    • adb shell - tested

Fixes:

Enhancements:

Known issues:

sediTWRP v2.5.8-ICS_v2.7.1.0 released today! (I switched from TESTING to BETA state from now on!)

It is highly recommended to upgrade to this version if you had installed a previous version of sediTWRP!

Fixes:

Known issues:

Enhancements:

Known issues & FAQ

Known issues & FAQ

Is it possible to decrypt Cyanogenmod, AOSP based ROM's?
    Obviously not. As this TWRP version uses Samsung's crypto libraries this will not work (well you could give it a try but I think the chances are at 0,1% that it would work).

Why is this such an old version?
    The reason why I use v2.7 is that I do not need to patch many code here. v2.8 need to be fully patched to get it work so I do not know if I will do it. Maybe...

So what is the exact differences to TWRP by bubor?
    In short: They are technical identical but when compiled sediTWRP will use all CRYPTO Flags needed to support Samsung decryption. To get this fully work I patched TWRP code related to decryption and proprietary Samsung crypto libraries have been included.
    In detail: Check out the sources at Github (see OP - section "Sources")

Are there any known bugs?
    Check out the Bug reports here

Hi steadfasterX,

do you think it's possible to patch and compile a version for Android 8.0 (oreo)? If so, could you point me to some info how I would need to get this done? I have a build environment for twrp (I used it some time ago to build for a different device). Where can I find the Samsung libraries to extract and do you still have a diff (or repo) somewhere where I can see what you needed to patch? That would be great.

Thanks anyway, due to this thread I understand why standard twrp cannot mount the /data partition of my stock Galaxy S7 ("could not mount /data and unable to find crypto footer").
    Every new device and ROM version needs a new approach and own trial & error procedure .

I just wanna say it's not just a patch needed but very heavy testing and tracing and debugging and then when you know which things belongs together (which bins requires which libs and which dependencies have those libs and those as well ..) yea then you can complete the puzzle and include everything in your new TWRP version.

This requires strace, TWRP with logcat enabled (my LG repo shows how for both ) and patience. This is a bunch of work!

The procedure is always the same: start decrypt and find out which process dies and why (logcat and dmesg) then you can strace and start that one manually to find why it crashes which is usually due to missing libs. Those and all other blobs need to be taken from the ROM you wanna decrypt .

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using XDA Labs