FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][COMPLETE] Android ROM Development From Source To End

2,831 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,510

By jackeagle, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 13th July 2014, 03:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th July 2014, 07:29 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,879

Donate to Me
More
reserved
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RVR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RVR Ad-Free

15th July 2014, 11:39 AM |#12  
Flag Southern Borneo Island
Thanks Meter: 550

More
Excellent, only this time I find someone who is pleased to provide this detail android science. I really appreciate this. Thank you very much

Kindly permit marking thread, personally for reference material.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TPD-21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TPD-21 Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 11:39 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Woow such a great guide! Huge thanks, will do this in the evening
15th July 2014, 11:39 AM |#14  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 43.7031 - 7.2661
Thanks Meter: 7,175

More
Thanks for this very useful thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Troubadour666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Troubadour666 Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 11:47 AM |#15  
Flag Planet Earth?
Thanks Meter: 2,685

Donate to Me
More
Excellent step by step guide!!!! Hats off and thank you for taking the time!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ralpheboyo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ralpheboyo Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 11:54 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Git Knowledge

Before i start,i would like to express my gratitude to GitSCM,Github and others who have provided a learning platform for everyone to use Git and learn Git

If any information was stated wrongly here,please correct me and I am open to suggestions and criticism :P

First of all,let's start off with the basics

git init
- The git init command is used to create a new git repository in your folder.It can be used to convert an existing, unversioned project to a Git repository or initialize a new empty repository.When the command git init is being executed,in the folder itself,it will create a .git subdirectory and in order to view the sub directory,you need to hold CTRL+H to view it.In the .git subdirectory itself contains the metadata for the repo.

git clone
- The git clone command is used to copy an existing Git repository into your folder.The cloned repository will contain all its own history and manages its own files,and its a totally isolated environment from the original repository.Important note: This is where we should always remember to keep authorship when you clone something and upload to your own github.Always remember to keep the history commits when you upload.The tutorial is here(With courtesy to @Mazda)

git add
- The git add adds a change in the working directory to the staging area.Normally once it is added,it doesnt really get recorded yet until you execute the command git commit.Therefore,if you need to manage your files,execute git status to view the file changes.The various commands are

Stages the changes that was made in the file
Code:
git add <file>
Stages the changes that was made in a folder/directory
Code:
git add <directory/folder>
git commit
- The git commit command stages the snapshot to the project.This command is used after the command git add is executed and the git commit command will do the job in recording the changes you have made and sending it to the project history which will then be uploaded into Github or BitBucket.Some commands that normally developers use

The -m stands for message in full term --message
Code:
git commit -m "Hello"
The -a command is used to tell Git to stage all file changes,be it modified or deleted.Everything is added
Code:
git commit -a
The --reset-author command is used to change back to its original committer if the commits authorship have been changed
Code:
git commit --reset-author

More is coming soon!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Trach For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Trach Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 12:08 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 1,985

More
nice
well this is the most complete guide that a first time user for ROM development should know. ..nice effort
The Following User Says Thank You to methuselah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift methuselah Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 12:45 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 7,599

Donate to Me
More
reserved
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to k2wl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k2wl Ad-Free
15th July 2014, 12:59 PM |#19  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Prompt About Linux
is that possible to build rom using linux os other than ubuntu ( like arch linux, kali ) ???
15th July 2014, 01:03 PM |#20  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ropar
Thanks Meter: 1,476

Donate to Me
More
yeah :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson George

is that possible to build rom using linux os other than ubuntu ( like arch linux, kali ) ???

according to me yes you can use other linux OS but @jackeagle suggests you to use Ubuntu 13.10 as he used this version while making the guide

thnx alot @jackeagle for this awesome guide
15th July 2014, 01:08 PM |#21  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Prompt again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechExhibeo

according to me yes you can use other linux OS but @jackeagle suggests you to use Ubuntu 13.10 as he used this version while making the guide

yes you are correct. but i have used ubuntu once, but i dont like that. so i installed arch on my lap.
and i know the procedures are not same in arch like editing repo, apt-get....etc...etc

anyway thank you for your reply
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development, rom guide

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)