By out386, Senior Member on 13th January 2016, 07:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th October 2016, 06:40 PM |#21  
Flag Mumbai-dombivali
Thanks Meter: 125

More
@out386
I'm having few questions
Can I use 1gb of my user data partition as system partition??to increase system partition near to 1.8gb
Then with rest space (1gb)I'll use my SD card as internal storage!!!(32gb SD card)
But again
There is one question
In sprout4 we can install only apps in internal memory so, would I'll be able to use it to store other data like photos,etc.
I hope u got my question!
And the biggest question is can I convert (partition to f2fs) I want to use f2fs but haven't got any success!

Sent from my sprout4 using XDA

30th October 2016, 02:36 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by actyon20

First of all , thanks a lot for the reply.
Second , yes , I tried that from pc with windows 10 64-bit.
My steps:
1. From my phone I enabled debugging.

2. I downloaded "android-sdk_r24.4.1-windows.zip" from //developer.android.com/studio/index. After I launch SDK Manager I installed:
*Android SDK Tools
*Android SDK Platform-Tools
*Google USB Drive
At Environment Variables at Path I added ;C:\android-sdk\tools;C:\android-sdk\platform-tools
When I type "adb" in cmd a long list appears.

3. I downloaded some "ADB Drivers_Updated" and I go in that folder , Open new cmd+shfit and I type "adb shell" and the next text appears ( without lines )
[email protected]_P4Life:/ $-----------------

BEFORE this you said that I must root in TWRP so I google it and I did the following steps :
1. Went in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools
2. Open new cmd+shift and I type "adb reboot recovery" the phone reboots and the next image appears:
//i.imgur.com/JLWdPXU.jpg

After this I'm lost because when I type abd shell in cmd it says "/no emulators found..."

I want to make a bigger partition for "system content apps" because even if I have ~5GB internal memory remaining I saw that there is a 1GB partition that when it's full (programs registry or I don't know what ) you can't install program anymore even if you have an empty SD card attached and the Default Write option in system is set to SD card.

Can you please help me ? This is my first time doing this and my phone is Allview P4 Life . I really like that cheap phone.

(1) You didn't need the Android SDK. The ADB link I'd given in the thread would've been enough.
(2) I see that you have the stock recovery. That's why it sais that no emulators thing. You need a custom recovery for this.
(3) You're using some kind of Chinese phone. I don't know of any custom recovery for that phone. Search around, you just might find one. Also try Yuweng's recovery thread. If it's an older MediaTek, that tool should work.

Once you have a custom recovery, follow this thread, but don't use any of the numerical values for the partition sizes/ offsets I used here, your values will be different.

(4) This method could be risky. Make sure that you can recover your phone somehow if it goes wrong. The 1st gen Android One devices I wrote this for can recover, but I don't know about your phone.
30th October 2016, 02:39 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.

@out386
I'm having few questions
Can I use 1gb of my user data partition as system partition??to increase system partition near to 1.8gb
Then with rest space (1gb)I'll use my SD card as internal storage!!!(32gb SD card)
But again
There is one question
In sprout4 we can install only apps in internal memory so, would I'll be able to use it to store other data like photos,etc.
I hope u got my question!
And the biggest question is can I convert (partition to f2fs) I want to use f2fs but haven't got any success!

Sent from my sprout4 using XDA

(1) Yeah, you can make system larger. But after you flash a ROM, it'll get smaller again. Go to TWRP - > Wipe - > Advanced. Select /system, and tap "resize". That'll make the partition large again.
(2) Yeah, you can use sdcard as internal on Marshmallow after making /system larger
(3) I'm not sure. You can store pictures, etc, but I think that I heard that changing roms sometimes makes that data unreadable or something - I never tried.
(4) If you can get a recovery and a kernel that supports F2FS, then yes. I think that all kernels and most TWRP build support it.

Sent from my YU5010 using Tapatalk
30th October 2016, 07:42 PM |#24  
Flag Mumbai-dombivali

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by out386

(3) I'm not sure. You can store pictures, etc, but I think that I heard that changing roms sometimes makes that data unreadable or something - I never tried. 1) Yeah, you can make system larger. But after you flash a ROM, it'll get smaller again. Go to TWRP - > Wipe - > Advanced. Select /system, and tap "resize". That'll make the partition large again.

What if I flash sprout8 built!??
With that I can store photos, and media in internal memory as well!
And for 1st ans, I again have an question!
If we can change size of system partition from twrp only then why should we use such a long process

Sent from my sprout4 using XDA Labs
30th October 2016, 07:45 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.

What if I flash sprout8 built!??
With that I can store photos, and media in internal memory as well!
And for 1st ans, I again have an question!
If we can change size of system partition from twrp only then why should we use such a long process

You can't change from TWRP unless you've already done this.

Sent from an Ewwphoria using Tatapalk
30th October 2016, 07:53 PM |#26  
Flag Mumbai-dombivali

More
Quote:

You can't change from TWRP unless you've already done this.

Sent from an Ewwphoria using Tatapalk

ooooki
In India Its 12:22am now! And its new year for us! Let's try something new!

25th November 2016, 04:17 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Warning! Warning! Warning!
Quote:

**DISCLAIMER**
**I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE DIES.**
**PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK**
**IF YOU MESS UP, USE SP FLASH TOOLS TO FLASH ROM IN THE FORMAT ALL+ DOWNLOAD MODE**

I fried two brand new 64 Gig Kingston sd cards.

I purchased a brand new Kingston 64 gig class 10 sd card and gave this procedure a shot. It work great at first. I followed the instructions and they were flawless. My fist install was on Android 6.

The phone worked as expected for about 24 hours and the the phone reported there was no SD card installed. I took the card out and could not get it to be recognized on any computer, Window, Linux or Android.

I took the SD card back to the computer store and they were kind enough to replace it after it was tested and confirmed failed.

My Galaxy S5 was now in limbo after loosing all the data stored on the internal memory section of the failed SD card. I thought great time to upgrade so I installed Android 7 and proceeded with the new SD card ( also Kingston 64 gig ).

I followed all the steps again to set up this procedure and again it was flawless. I thought to myself I just had bad luck with the other SD card.

30 Hours later!!! Android 7 was now reporting that there was no SD card installed. You got to be kidding me right!

Went through the procedure of checking the SD card with Gparted and other partition software. No system could even see the SD card. It was like it was not even there. Same as the last card.

I got the card replaced and reload my Galaxy S5 one more time. This time however I was not willing to try this procedure and just used the card as external storage.

About three weeks have passed now since the two Kingston card were corrupted and I install the third one as external storage only. I am happy to report that the third Kingston 64 gig card is doing well.

I am not saying this method does not work I am just sharing my experience of what happened when I used it.
As the Quote says:
Quote:

**DISCLAIMER**
**I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE DIES.**
**PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK**
**IF YOU MESS UP, USE SP FLASH TOOLS TO FLASH ROM IN THE FORMAT ALL+ DOWNLOAD MODE**

Phone: Galaxy S5

Update Friday, June 8 2018
I am still using the same Galaxy S5 phone and SD card. By not partitioning my 64 gig sd card it has not fail again. Strange that the partitioning failed on this phone in the way I mentioned above. Just wanted to give an update an let you all know the results.
The Following User Says Thank You to Holographic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Holographic Ad-Free
30th November 2016, 11:33 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can I rename /system2 to /system partition with this method?
I tried to dual boot my phone and now I have my system as named /system2.
I want to rename it back. I tried rename it using twrp recovery file manager but each time on boot it renames back to system2.
I can't flash any rom as any recovery is unable to mount /system.
Please, can I rename it using these steps. If there is any other way please guide.
Sorry for bad english.
System_Dilemma
6th December 2016, 09:58 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Reserved

Can I have some help here:
  1. 1. I have the ADB Drivers installed, I even installed the Android SDK just to use ADB Commands. I installed TWRP Materialized but the problem is that my PC doesn't detect my device when I boot it into recovery.
  1. 2. I tried other recovery (TWRP 3.0.x.0) and my PC detected it flawlessly. I checked my device using adb devices and it was there. But when I enter the command through adb shell and then parted /dev/block/mmcblk0, it displays /system/bin/sh: parted: not found
I am trying to repartition my /system so that I can install either the Full or Mini GApps package for CM14 Unofficial.
6th December 2016, 11:24 AM |#30  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by System_Dilemma

Can I have some help here:

1. 1. I have the ADB Drivers installed, I even installed the Android SDK just to use ADB Commands. I installed TWRP Materialized but the problem is that my PC doesn't detect my device when I boot it into recovery.
  1. 2. I tried other recovery (TWRP 3.0.x.0) and my PC detected it flawlessly. I checked my device using adb devices and it was there. But when I enter the command through adb shell and then parted /dev/block/mmcblk0, it displays /system/bin/sh: parted: not found
I am trying to repartition my /system so that I can install either the Full or Mini GApps package for CM14 Unofficial.

If you can't use the TWRP I mentioned, then you'll need a parted binary. Boot the twrp image I mentioned, and copy /sbin/parted. Boot to twrp 3.x, paste that binary to /sbin, and over adb, do:
"chmod +x /sbin/parted".

Then do the rest of the guide. I don't exactly remember, but if that binary is static, this will work.

As for increasing the size of the system partition for gapps, there is plenty of space in system already for most gapps. After flashing a ROM, go to:
TWRP - Wipe - Advanced - Select System - Resize

That should give enough space. If not, flash some minimal gapps, and download the missing apps from Play. Better avoid this long method if you just need gapps.

6th December 2016, 11:26 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holographic

I fried two brand new 64 Gig Kingston sd cards.

I purchased a brand new Kingston 64 gig class 10 sd card and gave this procedure a shot. It work great at first. I followed the instructions and they were flawless. My fist install was on Android 6.

The phone worked as expected for about 24 hours and the the phone reported there was no SD card installed. I took the card out and could not get it to be recognized on any computer, Window, Linux or Android.

I took the SD card back to the computer store and they were kind enough to replace it after it was tested and confirmed failed.

My Galaxy S5 was now in limbo after loosing all the data stored on the internal memory section of the failed SD card. I thought great time to upgrade so I installed Android 7 and proceeded with the new SD card ( also Kingston 64 gig ).

I followed all the steps again to set up this procedure and again it was flawless. I thought to myself I just had bad luck with the other SD card.

30 Hours later!!! Android 7 was now reporting that there was no SD card installed. You got to be kidding me right!

Went through the procedure of checking the SD card with Gparted and other partition software. No system could even see the SD card. It was like it was not even there. Same as the last card.

I got the card replaced and reload my Galaxy S5 one more time. This time however I was not willing to try this procedure and just used the card as external storage.

About three weeks have passed now since the two Kingston card were corrupted and I install the third one as external storage only. I am happy to report that the third Kingston 64 gig card is doing well.

I am not saying this method does not work I am just sharing my experience of what happened when I used it.
As the Quote says:

Phone: Galaxy S5

Whoa. Sorry to hear that. That's something that shouldn't happen, but Samsung, you know. All kinds of things can explode.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)