FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Guide for those struggling with 'Adopt SD as Internal Storage' in Marshmallow

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By psiknight99, Member on 6th October 2015, 09:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The first time you boot up your marshmallow device, you will receive a notification asking if you want to use your SD card as Internal or Storage. If you use storage its like any other external storage. But if you choose Internal, it will format your SD card to ext4 just like you would if you were to use Link2SD.
Now most of the apps will be stored on this SD card. However some won't and that's when you'll start running out of space. But that's not the case. Hidden inside is the option to move these apps to the SD card as well (along with the entire data and obb files). This is what you gotta do:
  1. Go to Storage & USB
  2. Go to Internal Storage
  3. Go to Apps
  4. Select the app
  5. Select the option 'Change' and select your SD Card and then select Move from the 'Move Authenticator' and it's done!

Mind you, that the pre installed apps and the bloatware cannot be shifted this way. However it won't matter. you will still have around 900 MB free and even if the pre installed apps take up cache space there is plenty of space.
Enjoy!

Edit: Restart your phone after that otherwise the partition won't show up if you connect your phone to the PC.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psiknight99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift psiknight99 Ad-Free
7th October 2015, 08:51 AM |#2  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiknight99

The first time you boot up your marshmallow device, you will receive a notification asking if you want to use your SD card as Internal or Storage. If you use storage its like any other external storage. But if you choose Internal, it will format your SD card to ext4 just like you would if you were to use Link2SD.
Now most of the apps will be stored on this SD card. However some won't and that's when you'll start running out of space. But that's not the case. Hidden inside is the option to move these apps to the SD card as well (along with the entire data and obb files). This is what you gotta do:

1. Go to Storage & USB
  2. Go to Internal Storage
  3. Go to Apps
  4. Select the app
  5. Select the option 'Change' and select your SD Card and then select Move from the 'Move Authenticator' and it's done!

Mind you, that the pre installed apps and the bloatware cannot be shifted this way. However it won't matter. you will still have around 900 MB free and even if the pre installed apps take up cache space there is plenty of space.
Enjoy!

How to access SD card contents?
7th October 2015, 08:53 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
As in?
7th October 2015, 09:02 AM |#4  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 90

More
To access contents for backup and restoring files. Furthermore only internal storage is accessable not SD card(mounted as Internal storage).
7th October 2015, 10:55 AM |#5  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 36

More
You can access files from pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumchamp

How to access SD card contents?

Set "Usa as internal storage" option (SD card will be formatted),
Connect to PC then select "USB for file transfer" in notification bar then select ---->MTP option,,,,,, Boom, its done....
7th October 2015, 12:21 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumchamp

To access contents for backup and restoring files. Furthermore only internal storage is accessable not SD card(mounted as Internal storage).

So far as I understand, one can only move data to the internal memory and then migrate that to the ext4 partition using the migrate data option. So yes, one can't move large files in one go as the max amount of free internal memory is around 800 MB., and will have to do in batches..

Edit 1: I realize you don't have to do that in batches if you restart your phone after migrating your data to the SD Card. The phone shows the entire partition on the Computer after you restart. Clearly, there is some clarification that Google must come out on this or most users will be left confused and frustrated.
7th October 2015, 06:00 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Migrate Data
What does the option 'migrate data' do? It says it will take 10 minutes and free up 5.8 gigs of sd space.
7th October 2015, 08:22 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2897

What does the option 'migrate data' do? It says it will take 10 minutes and free up 5.8 gigs of sd space.

Don't migrate from SD card to Internal else your storage will be full. Migrate from internal to SD. I think yours has already migrated to SD.
8th October 2015, 06:52 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

Don't migrate from SD card to Internal else your storage will be full. Migrate from internal to SD. I think yours has already migrated to SD.

Yep, I had to reset my phone after that.
Are you facing unnecessary restarts? It started after I moved some apps to SD card.
8th October 2015, 07:27 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2897

Yep, I had to reset my phone after that.
Are you facing unnecessary restarts? It started after I moved some apps to SD card.

Nope, haven't faced a restart yet. However I moved WhatsApp to SD and after it got an update it was automatically moved back to internal causing it to lose its chat history. Moving it back to SD let me restore my last backup though.
8th October 2015, 08:02 AM |#11  

More
Quote:

Nope, haven't faced a restart yet. However I moved WhatsApp to SD and after it got an update it was automatically moved back to internal causing it to lose its chat history. Moving it back to SD let me restore my last backup though.

Just faced this problem after updating whatsapp, messenger, docs. Had to restart to move it back to sd card. This feature is still buggy.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)